3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Some Pig Help Fellas  (Read 379 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Some Pig Help Fellas
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Hello gang!

I need to bug some of you swine experts for a minute.

A couple of friends and I have access to quite abit of private land near Jacksonville, FL and were looking to go down and have a good time.

Now my question is a simple one. Were going for about a week, and multiple trips are not an option. We need to get these pigs coming in quick, as in a day or too.

Now I know they devour corn, and we plan on bringing multiple feeders, but we dont have time to wait on them for a week to find it if you get my drift. What we want to do is get our set ups ready the first morning, being EXTRA scent cautious, then give it a day or so, then start hunting.

So what say ye? What do we need to do to get these pigs in? Ive read some ideahs on here, but im interested to hear what YOU would do in this specific situation.

This Hog huntin stuff is addicting.   :banghead:  

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Some Pig Help Fellas
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
If you are using corn then i would corn the roads on the way in to your feeders.  Start about 150 yards out from your feeder and lay a trail right to the feeder, go another 150 yards the other way past your feeder dropping corn also.  Any pig that walks within this area will hit the corn trail and hopefully follow right to the feeder.  Be very liberal in the amount of corn you are using, if you are only going to be there for a week do not be stingy with the amount of corn you put out.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Soak up some corn at home a few days before you leave. When you get there dig a pit about 1 cu ft line with plastic bag and fill it with water and the corn piggies, will generally come running up in short order.
If pigs are in the area they will catch on to your feeders quick. Look for fresh sign only-warm turds and wet urine patches-a few days old is meaningless they could be in the next county. If the area is populated or the pigs are pressured hunt as late as local laws allow. Bring a camera!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Jello mix. Strawberry flavor

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I trapped pigs for 15 years and the best bait I ever used...corn in a metal drum, add water to the top of the corn, pour in 2 cans of infamil. let it sour in the sun for a week or two. you will have to wear a mask when putting it out but it is IT when it comes to baiting hogs. I have baited a trap been 2 minutes away and turned around to get a forgotten knife and had pigs in the trap already.

Note: if you seal the drum put a couple vent holes in it  ;)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Gotta agree with the soured corn.  I do predator control at a couple of ranches and a local school.  I put corn in a 5 gal bucket cover it with water and drop in 2 packets of bakers yeast to get it started.  Cover it and let it ferment (leave a couple of holes for gas relief or your buckets will explode).
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the respnses guys! Alot of great ideas!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I've never hunted hogs YET but know people who have had success with a sow in heat scent. If your there a week spread it all around, put it on your boots maybe and leave trails leading to your feeders and I'm sure some big boars will come lookin for the ladies.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Most people over use bait.  Less is generally more.  Get them coming in and make them work/compete for it.  TRICKLE the corn in the roads to your feeders and set your feeders for short bursts well before dark.  Don't set up too many feeders.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Jello mix. Strawberry flavor
X2

If I were to make a trip like that I would just pour a couple of bags of corn on the ground. If there are hogs around they'll find the corn. The hogs at my place are way more nervous around feeders but they'll show up anytime to the "nugget piles". Good luck and have fun.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
If you have ponds try this If ther are just a few ponds this works real good. If there is water all over then it is not as effective.:

Find the "slough" or wash where water comes into the pond when it rains. The best place is if there is a little water backed up into the wash. It is also a VERY good sign if there is any fresh wallows in this area. If you can distinguish hair prints in the mud then the wallow is a hot one. The first day spread a bunch of corn all in the mud and just a little into the water at the end of the water in the slough. Then go back and check it every day. They should find it pretty fast and if they do there will be no doubt that it was hogs. The whole area will look like a small bomb had exploded there. They will churn the mud over and over till they find the last kernel of corn. I have done it this way lots of tims and been succesful on the first night several times. If there are fresh wallows where you spread the corn, I would not hesitate to hunt it the first evening. Also if you have a bow light and/or enough moonlight (and it is legal there), dont be afraid to stay a couple hours after dark. Most of the time when I use this method I do not use any kind of blind. I either sit on a small chair or short tripod in the brush (with the wind in my favor of course).

Good luck and hope we get to se a few hero pics after your hunt.

Bisch

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by caleb7mm:
I trapped pigs for 15 years and the best bait I ever used...corn in a metal drum, add water to the top of the corn, pour in 2 cans of infamil. let it sour in the sun for a week or two. you will have to wear a mask when putting it out but it is IT when it comes to baiting hogs. I have baited a trap been 2 minutes away and turned around to get a forgotten knife and had pigs in the trap already.

Note: if you seal the drum put a couple vent holes in it   ;)  
I have used soured cornin the past and it does work good BUT if you have to transport it in your vehicle and it happens to spill in your vehicle (even in the bed of a pickup), you will need that mask to ride in your truck for a LONG time! Soured corn is not worth the hassle to me. They eat plain corn just fine.

JMHO

Bisch

Offline jarradmears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
X2 on the strawberry jello!
"Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Horse and mule feed "sweet feed" has worked well for me for years, but rain kills it. i pour a couple cups on the ground and mix some in feeders with the corn as well.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys, i cant wait to give 1 or 2 of these ideahs a try.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
looks like there was some rain at your place in Jacksonville today. At our place south of you (just a couple of miles east of Ocala)we have a bunch of bears..the guys who used corn would atrack as many bears as deer or hogs.the guys switched to soy beans, soy beans in the feeders worked pretty good for a couple of years but the bears would eat them till they puked or pooped (loose diarrea), the soy beans seem to make the bears sick?? but they eat them anyway. This last year in late December I soured a 50 lb bag of crushed up corn with sugar and yeast..I dug some holes arround a wet area(grass pond) where I had already taken 2 when the acorns were dropping, I dug about 24" deep using post hole diggers and added the soured corn. I placed a camera at one of the holes, it took about 4-5 days for the hogs to find the holes and they dug them all up,I added more corn every 3 days,I soured another 50 and kept adding it to the holes and area arround them, I got a bunch of pics but all pictures were at night and I never took a hog at the holes, no bear pics at the sour corn holes so that was a good thing..I did shoot 4 hogs with my recurve about 250 yards away at a ladder stand on a main trail intersection. We are losing our lease this week and none of the guys have filled their feeders since january..I got a nice sow 2 weeks ago and she was very fat, the black berries are nice and ripe right now and she was browsing on them when I got her. The hogs on our 1400 acre place come and go, sometimes they are everywhere, some times they are nowhere. Good luck with your hunt!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the info robert! These hogs havent been hunted in a couple of years. At that time the guys that went down there to hunt them, were successfull everytime they went down, most of the time with multiples.

They were not using Trad equipment though. We just found out that we have free use of the landowners apartments, so that is going to loosen up some money, meaning were going to try to make 2 trips, maybe even more   :bigsmyl:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
What works for me is a five gallon bucket of corn soured in water with a half can of beer.  It turns out looking like black beans and you might need a level 3 suit it will bring them in.  Smells nasty.       :coffee:          :archer2:          :archer2:          :archer2:     My nose does not work so I don't mind, but my hunting buddies stay away and let me bait the sites.  Jello and whatever else you come across added in, like ice cream, works well.  I put it in a hanging PVC pipe and let it ouze out holes drilled in the sides.  Hogs come to lick it off.

Hog wild works well, also.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Dalton,
I would lightly(like Gregg said)corn the roads, make a pile every 200 yards or so, spice up the piles with powdered jello mix or Hog Wild.(soured corn makes me gag!) Get the wind right and stalk those piles(or build a ground blind).

I wouldn't bother with feeders unless you plan on going back a bunch of times in the future. I think they might be leary of them at first and might work against you in a week long hunt.
Good luck.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Here is a link to an old thread on tradgang that gives all sorts of hog hunting info, including lots of questions and answers about baiting.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000087

It is in the "hunting" forum.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©