3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Today I became Sharpening CONFIDENT  (Read 202 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Today I became Sharpening CONFIDENT
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I've thought that I understood the approach to sharpening, but have never felt like I "owned" it.

Recently, I ordered a ceramic stick.

It made all the difference. I can use an Accusharp, Rada Wheel Sharpener, or a Bastard File and touch it up with the ceramic stick for a truly shaving/scary sharp broadhead.

To this day, I assumed a leather strop would be fine, but the ceramic works wonders. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Anyway, I know a lot of guys have issues. I'll say that the Accusharp or Rada plus a Crock will have you there in no time flat.

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Today I became Sharpening CONFIDENT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Bravo bud, been a crock stick fan for'a long time!  Sharpening is a skill, it takes time. It's easy to get frustrated. But if you work at it you will get better. Kinda like shooting a trad bow...  Been my experience that some folks don't understand what sharp really is. Again congrats!
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Today I became Sharpening CONFIDENT
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
That's a good feeling there.  Personally my chefs steel is my best friend. I have had ceramic sticks and others , but the steel my ma gave me along time ago is my go to toucher upper .
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©