3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching  (Read 450 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I have never fletched arrows. I was asking people about what glue to use,and asked about Fletchtite Platinum. I got a lot of mixed feedback..some of them said I am better off using wraps on the arrows if I use that glue. They were repeatedly telling me to make sure that shaft is extremely clean,acetone etc.. Is this not a good glue? Thoughts?

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Oh boy,you will be much better with fletxhing tape.Doesnt need drying time,doesnt smell bad.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I have had great luck with Loctite superglue Gel, available at local hardware stores.  I like the gel because its easier for me to control the glue application of the base of the feathers when fletching.  Wraps on the arrows tend to improve the bond and also allow for easier removal of arrows prior to re-fletching.  Prepping the shaft is the first step and is the act of removing potential bond contamination like dirt, oils from your hands, etc.  You will receive much information soon so stay tuned!
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
sand'm and alcohol  wipe, then glue, you'll be alright.sometimes it helps to do the same on the feather base to once it's in the clamp' a light sanding a wipe with alcohol and then apply the glue. take your time, you'll get it right and pretty soon you'll get real good at it, that's part of the fun of this thing we do.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I like wraps and tape. Check out Rob D.'s video in the "how to resources".    :thumbsup:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I have always fletched my own arrrows, for about 25 years now. (My dad taught me to fletch arrows when I was about 15.)  Aluminum with feathers, prepped by leaving in a can of acetone for several minutes (more if all gummed up from prior feather residue), always dipped with Fletch-laq, and glued with Fletch-tite.  I just fletched one arrow -- all 3 feathers -- in about 20 minutes 2 days ago.  I have never had problems with feathers not sticking.  Never, as far as I can remember.  I still have about 6 tubes left of the old Fletch-tite, so have never used the new.  The guys I have talked to about the platinum say they don't see much difference between the new and the old... except for the price!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
With my "aluminum" arrows, I've never had any problems gluing my feathers with the old Fletch-Tite and the newer Fletch-Tite Platinum.

When I have to re-fletch, I have to literally scrape my old worn out feathers off.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Night Wing, I have the same experience.  I have to scrape them off with a knife, 'cause they are STUCK on.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
The loctite Tomboy stated above.  Works great.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Another vote here for fletch tape. No smell or mess, except for the red strips of backing, they get everywhere! Never had a feather come loose with tape.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Platinum works well, and extremely well on wraps no prep needed.  So does Fletch Tape, both are very popular.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
I have used both the regular Fletch Tite and the Platinum. Never had any problems. I now use the fletch tape. I will never go back to glue again. If you decide to go with the tape put a drop of Loctite gel on the front and back of the fletching. The tape is much easier to strip when its time to refletch. I use an exacto knife to help with applying the tape. After a dozen or so arrows it will become second nature to use the tape. It's much quicker than glue for me.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Fletch tape is good, so long as you have nimble fingers. It sometimes takes some effort to get the film to peel off of it. But since I've started using it I haven't lost a single feather.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I like wraps and tape. Check out Rob D.'s video in the "how to resources".     :thumbsup:    

Rob
X 2  :thumbsup:
James Kerr

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Saunders NPV Fletching Cement  IS  the Best Adhesive there is! (I think I should at least get a Shirt or something from Saunders for being so dedicated to their product, ya reckon?  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Superglue is easiest, cheapest to get.  Fletch tape is easiest to use.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
Tape too!

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
You can use Fletchtite Platinum on aluminum without acetone. Just rub shafts with rubbing alcohol and a cloth towel till they squeek.  I don't like to expose myself to the acetone.

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
I haven't fletched much, but fletching tape works really well for me - and is *very* easy to work with. I use Onestringer wraps, and add a drop of superglue at the "ends" of each feather. From vague memory, I think the good people at Onestringer told me that the Platinum glue may not stick well to their wraps.
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©