3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly or supermag?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly or supermag?
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
I have never shot a 48" supermag and noone around here has one. I have shot plenty of grizzlys and love em. I have finally decided to go with a "cheaper" bow to hunt with after many many bows owned and never fell in love with any of the 500 - 1000 dollar bows. But I pick up an old bear and love it.

I am seconds away from ordering a new grizzly but I am thinking about the supermag now.

thoughts?

will be drawn 29" and will be purchased in either 50 or 55#
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly or supermag?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Don't order a short bow like that without shooting one first IMO.  The reason I got out of traditional archery 35-40 years ago was the Kodiak Magnum I had that stacked like crazy and was a miserable bow to shoot.  From my experience a 29" draw with a 48" bow is asking for trouble but everyone is different and you may like it - shoot one first.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Without question, I would go with the Grizzly, altho I prefer the Grayling over the Gainsville models.  The 48" Supermag has its place, but it's not that comfortable or easy to shoot and lacks performance, IMO.  The Griz however is a GREAT bow.  I really like the '64-67 models.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
If you've got a 29" draw length, "definitely" go with the Grizzly.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Longer bow....Grizzly.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
I can't shoot short bows worth a darn and my draw is only 27.5"...

The Grizzly is a much smoother bow because of the length. I had a newer 58" that I gave a newbie that shot great for me. I'd go with the Grizz...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
thanks guys. the griz it is.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I've had both and still have the Grizzly, great bows.

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
Id go with the Grizzly. And if you like em dark you can get a Super Grizzly.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Stay away from the Super Mag.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Grizzly is a good choice, the 48" Super Mag will have finger pinch at short draw lengths let alone your 29"
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by sore fingers:
Id go with the Grizzly. And if you like em dark you can get a Super Grizzly.
is it worth the extra cash? any reason its more other than the wood used?
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
I believe you'll enjoy shooting the Grizzly alot more than the Super Mag. And, with a 29" draw you probably won't be happy with the shorter bow.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I liked the looks of the reddish dyed wood on the newer ones as opposed to the tan color of the one I gave away. I don't think there's a difference besides maybe a tad more mass weight with the Super Grizzly having an extra accent stripe in the riser.They are sharp looking, though.   :thumbsup:   $100 more for the Super seemed steep to me, so if I were shopping for one I'd get the reddish risered one...but it's your bow get what you like!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
My vote is for the Super Grizzly.

I have a LH Super Mag 48 and draw 29". I feel stack that last little bit. It's a 60# bow.

I have a Super Grizzly 50# from the 70s. I LOVE THAT BOW!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I really like the look of the super grizzly but I dont know if I like it a hundred dollars more  :)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
super Grizzly gets my vote.Check out big jims website
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Groser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2023, 05:11:56 PM »
I know this string is 11 years old, but I just joined and I love the topic!  I have 1 of each, a 50# mid 80’s grizzly which was a buddy’s dads bow, and a new 55# supermag. I love the smoothness and quietness of the old grizzly; but love the nimbleness, speed, quietness, feel and look of the supermag. I was hesitant to get the supermag because the 55# Kodiak magnum I have is the loudest bow I own, I thought the supermag would be similar.  The supermag is surprisingly quiet and I don’t notice any stacking at my 28” draw.  Just shot a nice buck at 20 yards with it last week, hit exactly where I was aiming. I will continue using this bow as the maneuverability in the stand is incredible.
55# bear supermag
57# wild horse creek kestrel
55# centaur

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2023, 09:03:13 PM »
I know this string is 11 years old, but I just joined and I love the topic!  I have 1 of each, a 50# mid 80’s grizzly which was a buddy’s dads bow, and a new 55# supermag. I love the smoothness and quietness of the old grizzly; but love the nimbleness, speed, quietness, feel and look of the supermag. I was hesitant to get the supermag because the 55# Kodiak magnum I have is the loudest bow I own, I thought the supermag would be similar.  The supermag is surprisingly quiet and I don’t notice any stacking at my 28” draw.  Just shot a nice buck at 20 yards with it last week, hit exactly where I was aiming. I will continue using this bow as the maneuverability in the stand is incredible.

I've got two Supermags one on 40# and the other in 48#..I draw a shade over 29" and maybe because they are the only two bows I shoot..but I don't see them as hard to shoot or stacking..maybe demanding on form and release? The 40# is definitely more sensitive to release and the 48# forces the shot process quicker..I would have never gotten to the level I'm at with the 48# had I not started out with the 40# and then eased up to the 48# after six months of intensive shooting with the lighter bow..(old and stiff with shoulder issues) I absolutely love these two bows and have been in the woods non stop since the opener trying to outshmarty a whitetail! Great lil bow in tough tangled bedding areas as well as in my style of ground hunting, backing up into hollowed out bushes and deadfalls. I might someday get the Shrew bug but for now I'm satisfied with these old Grayling Bears.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2023, 09:31:25 PM »
Enough guidance already.  I draw 27 3/8" and love the Grizzly.  It's in my listing.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"