3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Africa...........The rest of the story page 3  (Read 1701 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Africa...........The rest of the story page 3
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
My favorite part is yet to come  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
The next day we went to a different area. Lammie as I said before went out of his way to pre scout and put me in a position to have the best opportunity for success. He had put up a pop up blind in some thick, thick bush. It was a very small blind and the longest shot from this blind would be 12 yards at the most and most likely closer. I was pretty much in the blind for the whole day and toward evening Lammi’s work and my patience were rewarded. This Nyala bull played cat and mouse for quite a while before he gave me a shot. Because I was so close and sitting on the dirt, I worked to me knees bent over came to full draw and slowly rose so that my arrow cleared the window, released…. the bull tore off into the bush. We probably went after him a bit premature because it was getting dark quick and we didn’t want to loose the bull to a scavenger or opportunistic predator. My hit was a bit back but with Lammie’s tracking skills and the aid of his two dogs we recovered the bull and I took a deep breath of relief….

Nyala are incredible animals and more so when you are this close. During the time I spent in the blind I saw a dozen cows and calves, monkeys and some beautiful birds. Setting in the blind was one of the pinch me moments of my life…. sounds a bit sappy but true.

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I bet you are already saving to go back again, huh?

I have been twice and can't wait to get back over there.

Congrats on your fine animals!

Bisch

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Day three we move to another location and had an opportunity with a Blesbok. Before the Blesbok came in we had a bunch of Wildebeests and a Giant Warthog. I should probably say at this time that I am shooting a 56” 50@28 Big Jim Thunderchild and the Warthog was a bit on the long shot side with my equipment so he got a pass. I might have made the shot work but with Warthogs they either dye in a recoverable distance or they run until they find a burrow go in it to recover or dye. After a bit more time this Blesbok came in. We were in one of Lammies permanent hides and I took the shot.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Thank Bisch...  The best part for me is yet to come  :)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
What a hunt, congrats!!     :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Makes for a nice read.  Thank you for posting the rest of the story.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
looks like a great time!!!!!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
kip your Impala is fantastic but the Nyala is tremendous and i know it was on the top of your hit list!! Congrats man!!
Make a life, not a living

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
I only had five actual hunting days because of my job obligations. Lammie did an Excellent job making them count.

Day four found us looking for an opportunity at a Warthog. I was looking to the left and saw this red streak blast across and opening. I instantly uttered the words Red Duiker and Lammie looked and confirmed. Once the Duiker was in the brush he went about the task of eating these seed pods that all the browsers seem to relish like candy. Soon it was apparent there was also a female that had gone unnoticed doing the same. I turned to Lammie and we agreed that the game was on and if the Duiker gave me the shot I would try. I have to say that before I came to Africa I had read books, watched videos and emersed my self in as much information as I could. I had also seen a couple of videos were a Duiker was missed by archers using much faster equipment than mine. These little animals are food for everything that eats meat and have supernatural reflexes.

The duiker finally can toward us and bent down for a drink. I prepared for the shot and when the Duiker raised his head and looked in the opposite direction (maybe looking for the female? ) I released the arrow, he still moved a bit but the shot looked good. I think Lammie was shocked as he turned with a look of disbelief and said  “You got him” Then a big grin appeared one his face...  I think he was as happy as I was !!

Now came the part that is the killer for me the wait. The Duiker had run up the hill and we lost site as he entered the brush…. Lammie called the lodge for pick up and we waited for what seemed an eternity…  I have to tell you this little antelope had me shaking. This was an opportunity that I had been blessed with. The skinner that works for Lammie has never even seen one and shooting one with a longbow well??? Allison pull up to the blind and Lammie said he was just going to check for blood and we might give him a bit more time if it didn’t look right. I was obedient and stayed with Allison at the hide as much as I wanted to check it out for myself, after an extremely long minute Lammie immerged from the bush holding the Duiker with one arm. It had expired right were we had last seen him and in fact was already a bit stiff….  I was so relieved!!

Lammie says he is eight to ten years old. He is an amazing looking creature and to have been given the opportunity to take him was a blessing to say the least.

For perspective my bow is 56" and the tiny antelope easily fits inside....

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Folks have asked what happens to the meat and hides. Well the Duiker is going to be a full body mount, The Nyala, Blesbok and Impala will be shoulder mounts and the rest of the cape tanned and shipped to me. The meat is consumed and by the help and guests "Me" nothing is wasted.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Kip thanks for your pics and account. Looks like those five days were very productive...nice shooting...that your PH was bow savy made it all the better and the adventure sounded like lots of fun.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
A trip of dreams!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Wow, what a fascinating hunt.  Thank you for taking us along.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Great story, thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Congrats Kip dreams do come true.
  :thumbsup:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Awesome!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
AWESOME! I have never seen a Red Duiker either. Thsat is one cool looking critter. I shot a common Duiker on my last trip and did a full body mount on him. It is one of the best looking mounts I have in my house.

Congrats again!

Bisch

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Story very well told!

Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime
   :archer:    

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys, for me it was something I have wanted to do forever and to do it with my Longbow, well that's just the best

:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©