3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Africa...........The rest of the story page 3  (Read 1703 times)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Africa...........The rest of the story page 3
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Excellent Kip! I asked about the meat not meaning any went to waste but more what it tasted like? Safe to say your description will likely be as close to wild African game as I'll get.

BTW, to date, Elk is the best meat I've ever eaten a bit leaner & redder than beef & slightly better (maybe sweeter) flavor. Ostrich is another favorite with taste & characteristics like chicken.

Great trip Kip! Wow! The Duikar is some kind of special! Thanks for the story & pix!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RBURNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time.  Headed to Namibia in aSeptember, can't wait.  This will be my first trip to Africa, hope I have as good of an experience as it seems you did.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Wow, just caught this story. What a great hunt...a Nyala too! I think that is one of the coolest African animals there is and hard to hunt as I understand it.
Congratulations of the hunt. Way to "represent" us trad guys!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Kip:  Great story, congrats on your thophies.  You are making things really hard on me, I have had an Africa trip booked for two years, finally leaving this August, These last few months have taken forever to get here, still have a few more to go. My dream hunt of a lifetime, as I'm sure was yours. Congrats again and thanks for sharing.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Forrest I'm with you...  Elk is the best I've had (our little west coast Blacktails are a close second for me). The African games meats at least the Impala and Blesbok were not gamey in my opinion but Lammie said it takes quite a bit of aging. The way he described it is if you put a chunk of our deer or elk in your hand and squeezed the meat is soft and might come between your fingers. With the African games meats this doesn't happen it is much firmer. That's why the aging is a must so the tissues break down. I had some Blesbok prepared by Allison that was aged and cooked rare that was excellent!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Congrats on a great hunting adventure!!!

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
great write up.
Love Dare to Bowhunt, great outfit

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Excellent experience, thanks for sharing. Your pictures are very nice.  Looks like you were a great representative of an effective trad hunter!

This afternoon I'm buying two cameral lenses that my PH has asked me to pick up for him. He will credit me the cost of these lenses for some of the animals I hope to take on my first Africa trip the first two weeks of August. Sort of cool that the lenses I'll barter may be the ones used to take my pictures!

I'm not yet super-excited about my upcoming hunt. I don't even know for sure what bow I'll be using. Right now I'm more fired up about our deer season opening two weeks after I return -- I know-weird.

My son and a friend are going with me and frankly, that's what made the decision for me. They are fired up enough to cover me as well.  

However, I have to admit, these pictures and your stories are starting to work on me. I'll have only 5-6 days to hunt and your experience in that same amount of time has me thinking things might get pretty exciting.

I was this same way about bear hunting before I finally "gave in" and went in the mid-80's. Also about hunting in blinds in Texas for hogs and white-tails. I'm happy to report that both the bear and hog hunting turned out to be much more exciting and fun than I thought it would be.

I'm such a DIY bowhunter that I have aprehensions about trusting so much of my experience to others.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
It really was awesome Ryan...  I still have Hawaii on my bucket list. I had everything worked out for Kauai...  all the permits, lic, etc and I broke my foot two days before the hunt...  I enjoyed the heck out of the island but what a let down not to be able to hunt!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your foot.  Yeah Kauai is a beautiful island.  Which island may you return to in the future?

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I think my wife is up for any Island when it come to Hawaii  :)  I did a mini family reunion and my kids, wife and I had a blast even with a broken foot but it would have been so cool to hunt the coast...

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Incredible hunt! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
What a great thread.  It apparently could have been titled "five days I will never forget".  Congratulations.  It looks like the shot choices and the shooting were both excellent.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Nice story and pictures. Congrats!!

Offline David lozzano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
beautiful trip,
Felicidades amigo!
JK traditions Kanati 60" 53#@28
Morrison ILF 56" 48#@28
selway lil magnum 58" 49@27
Black Widow PMAX 60" 51# @ 28
Stalker Jackal 58" 52# @ 28

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

:campfire:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »
Kipp,Fantastic Hunt my friend,something I've always wanted to do.Right now I'm doing a european mount for my son on a huge Cape Buffalo head he picked up in Tanzania.I've read so much about Africa in the past 40 years and I'm totally amazed by everything about it.
it looks like The little Fellas bows worked great for ya !So well done my friend,Kudus(Literally).
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
nice pics and stories. Congrat's on a great hunt.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©