3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching tape help  (Read 360 times)

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching tape help
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
I've said this before all my feathers fell off in cold weather the tape lost its adhesiveness.I wont use it. Wraps and platinum works great on carbons and Duco on dipped woods.Evidentily heat softens the tape.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Fingernail trick and gluing both ends, those buggers crawled like earthworms on a rainy night. If I gotta run a bead of glue the length of the fletch, then I may as well skip the dad-gum tape.

I use glue matched to the finish of the arrow.
I used denatured alcohol ONCE on TG wraps. They turned white.     :knothead:  
Killdeer
Exactly why I don't use tape.  If I gotta glue it down afterwards, why bother?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Did you put a drop of glue in the beggining and the end of the feather?

I do  

I always run my fingernail firmly down the quill to seat the quill to the fletchtape and shaft
I do this too

I have not run a bead down the lenght of the feather but i might try, or just take longer and glue the feathers down.
Thanks Guys
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I've watched dozens of thread on tape over the years, remaining neutral or a bit hesitant.

The results vary so greatly and a pre-adehised material has to be stored properly...right heat and humidity to keep the shelf life proper and functioning product wise.

I can only imagine between jobber warehouses and dealer inventory storage there are a huge variety of storage conditions, thus contributing to variations in user results across the country and globe.

I hate havin to run up and down the basement stairs to do each feather and wait for the glue to dry...but reading all the varied issues and many using the right prep stuff, I'll pass!

Although, Mike Vines, that is a great tidbit about the foreign stuff in denatured alcohol.

after I put a feather in the clamp, I run it across a piece of 100 grt sandpaper glued to my jig board. then wipe off dust.  

never used tape and doubt I will... Sounds too "iffy"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Been using tape 100% for past 15yrs. Do as other s mentioned, run nail down quill and drop of glue on both ends. Hunted in heat to 115 deg never had a problem, hunted in 10 days rain never had a problem.

Heat inside a closed vehicle is extreme, I can say I have never subjected my arrows to such. Air on when running, gear in back (topper) when stopped.

It does seem to me that over the years many who have had issues with tape have been applying to wood shafts and I'm wondering if some finishes have an effect on tape glue? I onlt use carbon shafts.
hunt it

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I'm with Mike Vines and Killie on this. I never had a complete failure with the tape, but they tend to lay over on me. I use as much helical as I can get and glue just holds them down better for me.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I left 2 arrows in my truck I just did and the next day one feather was lifted on each arrow. Used the finger nail trick, cleaned the shaft, and glued both ends. I don't like having to watch it so I will be switching to duco. Another note I did press them back down and have shot about each arrow fifty times without them coming back up. So I don't know. :-)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I put a dab of glue front and back and about a half inch run along the quill in the center.  After I started doing that there is no movement ever.  Note. . . I can apply all the glue for a half dozen arrows in a minute or two by using the tape.  I have to wait 15 or so minutes after each feather if I use glue al the way.

It works well for me.
ChuckC

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I have had the tape fail also.  Tried everything to prep and clean and they just came to the conclusion the stuff is not as good as glue.  I will go slow and stick with glue.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I should probably note that I do use vinyl wraps on all my arrahs.  This helps with adhesion, I believe.  Pain in the rump to remove though!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Yeah, Manni,

They claimed you could just stick wraps in a soda bottle of hot water...didn't work for me!

Heat gun might work if used judiciously...but don't have one. have a steak knife that the serration hollow fits my GT pretty neatly so I've been scrapping with that...

Wish the did come off (wraps) easier...but then we'd complain if they did so when we didn't want, eh?  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Yup. I sure do like them, but the adhesive wraps are, well... adhesive!  Takes paitence to get them off.  Luckily, I din't have to remove them much.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I really like the tape and I do wipe the shaft and quill down with denatured alcohol before fletching. Do run my thumb nail along quill after fletching and do put a drop of glue on both ends of fletching. No problems recorded and I have done dozens of arrows.
Now arrow wraps are another thing. I tried them on one dozen arrows and never again period. I wanted to remove them and tried every which way to get them off and wound up with a dozen scratched up arrows that fletches wouldn't cover. I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
yep i have used them in the past and was happy until i came home one summer day and went into my garage which was about 100 degrees inside and the arrows i was so proud of looked like palm trees lol tape is good stuff in the right conditions

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
In my opinion, Bhoning tape rocks, I have had problems with another brand!

It's all I use. Keep it fresh by sealing it back up.  Glue the ends, and make sure the surface u glue it to is compatible.

Oh yeah, and if you use feathers that AREN'T ground thin and flat, they will surely have a greater need to pop off the shaft.  I grind my own, or use true flight.  I have found the thicker quill to be a real problem here, ESP with a big helical.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
No problems, not with even one arrow of the many dozen's I've fletched with Bohning fletch tape, over the past 1 1/2 yr. Lucky?  :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©