3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St. Jude sniping  (Read 731 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
St. Jude sniping
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
As the first forum closes tonight I am sure there will be a lot of fingers poised over send buttons at 9:59:59.  Good luck to all.  If you have been waiting to grab that item at the last minute, man up and do it right.  Beat the bid by five or ten dollars.  This auction is for the kids not adding to our list of toys.  Enjoy competition, but lets do our best for the kids.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline arrowflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Jude sniping
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Well said! They need all the help they can get and then some!  :clapper:

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
>>>------John------>

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I put all my bids in on the first or second day. I'm shocked that most haven't been challenged! I can see sniping on other auction type sites, but this is an auction to raise money for sick children and their families. If you want it BID on it. If you don't win it oh well that's more for the kids.
Just my thinking anyway
Glenn

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
maineac, I agree totally.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Yeah, there's just something creepy and wrong about sniping at a charity auction....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I think that maybe the rules to the auction need to be modified in the future to make the minimum bids increase in value as the time closes in the auction.  So bids would have to increase by more per bid in the last hours of the auction.

Might be hard to police but it could be done.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Driller...

It's all been in great fun over the years... and some guys get skunked waiting till close to the "closing time" and the post doesn't get the right time stamp in Cyber space...and they loose.

I've not done sniping...but I guess it goes both ways... if you loose to a sniper, more $$ went to St. Jude and that's the purpose... so it IS all about the money... getting the most for St. Judes Hospital.

We've had a BUNCH of threads over the years where guys UPPED their OWN bids--bid against themselves.

This takes heart in a time of lean pockets.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
I don't really care about the last minute loss of something.  That is the fun of an auction for many and if they find it exciting, great.  My point is to do it well and for the intent of the auction.  Don't wait to beat someone out for something you want by a buck.  If you want it, great, but throw some extra to St. Judes for what they do.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
FWIW, I agree with you maineac.  I don't like the idea of outbidding someone by only $1 at the last minute.  But, I don't have a problem with anyone coming in at the last minute and submitting a bid ..... that's just more $$ for the kids.

I do want to also say that I don't think anyone is on here bidding to get some fantastic price on something they would be buying anyway.  MOST if not all the items go for more than new, some WAY MORE than new prices.  I applaud everyone who donates their money.

Great job guys

I know things are tight in the country right now, but we can do this in $10 steps just like we can do this in $1,000 steps guys.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF WE SET A RECORD THIS YEAR $10 AT A TIME!!!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
I think that sniping is in good fun for the most part and for a fella to get bent outa shape over getting sniped, you shoulda bid way higher to begin with.    :readit:

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Well said Izzy.  More money is more money. It is for the kids.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm even bidding on my own item
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Give until it hurts and then give some more!  :D  

I think what Mike and co are saying is don't come to a charity auction trying to find a bargain!  I agree.  Snipe away, but snipe high!    :thumbsup:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
It's all a mind game. If you're game, you don't mind. If you mind, bid high from the start.

The final bid is the final bid, no matter who gets it. $1 more is $1 more for St. Jude's. I already hurt...now it's just how much I can take. Some can't take any and for good reason. A $20 donation from someone unemployed is far greater than a $200 bid from a successful business owner or someone financially secure. But every bid should be welcomed, and none condemned.

footnote:

Made it to SC ok and trying to work my brother's MAC....weird.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I think that sniping is in good fun for the most part and for a fella to get bent outa shape over getting sniped, you shoulda bid way higher to begin with.     :readit:  
yes sir that about sums it up.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
every bid should be welcomed...
Agreed
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Driller...

It's all been in great fun over the years... and some guys get skunked waiting till close to the "closing time" and the post doesn't get the right time stamp in Cyber space...and they loose.

I've not done sniping...but I guess it goes both ways... if you loose to a sniper, more $$ went to St. Jude and that's the purpose... so it IS all about the money... getting the most for St. Judes Hospital.

We've had a BUNCH of threads over the years where guys UPPED their OWN bids--bid against themselves.

This takes heart in a time of lean pockets.
I didn't think of it like that...  You make a valid point. As long as everyone bids their highest the first time, then there shouldn't be any hard feelings. Thanks for the eye opener...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Raising money for kids=Good. Fun competetion with some back and forth=Good. It's ALL good.  :bigsmyl:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©