3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question on camo  (Read 565 times)

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
question on camo
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Ok guys so I am new to bowhunting and hunting in general. Got my first license last fall at age 21 (22 now). Anyhow I was wondering what my experienced friends here have to say about the role of camouflage in stalking/still hunting with a bow. The reason I ask is I see some guys go all out with expensively purchased or tediously home constructed ghille suits. Then there are others like Fred Bear who stalk in flannel shirts. How important is aggressive camouflage? And what game is it most important for or least important for? Thanks guys!!!

Also any info on or links to info on stalking techniques would be much appreciated as this novice begins to practice for the fall whitetail season in Ohio  :)

Offline CalArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question on camo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
This is my opinion - For turkeys I suggest 3D leafy or ghille. For everything else, camo is not necessary; movement and scent will bust you every time. Move slowly, sit still, and keep the wind in your face. Nearly all camo being marketed is designed to catch the human eye. I would be more concerned with material type than pattern. When I started out, I did a ton of research and found Cabela's Microtex line of hunting clothes in Outfitter camo to best suit me. Now I'm older, wiser, and have more money - That said, Merino wool is best.
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Camo for turkeys, anything that breaks up your outline for everything else, as long as your still and playing the wind right.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
you gotta go with wool or fleece or some fabric that is 110% silent for all big game hunting. Try it on at the store, if you make any sounds while walking around in it, dont buy it no matter how cheap or discounted it is. You'll regret it when your trying to put the stalk on a ten point buck and your clothes are making noise.(this may or may not have happened to me before  :knothead: ) Also, scent is another biggie to keep in mind.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
you gotta go with wool or fleece or some fabric that is 110% silent for all big game hunting. Try it on at the store, if you make any sounds while walking around in it, dont buy it no matter how cheap or discounted it is. You'll regret it when your trying to put the stalk on a ten point buck and your clothes are making noise.(this may or may not have happened to me before  :knothead: ) Also, scent is another biggie to keep in mind.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I have worn everything from flannel to ghillies and doubt it makes much difference to the game.  I used to feel nearly invisible in a leafy suit though and that helped my confidence which is the key to any pursuit.  If it's quiet and a broken pattern and you don't move, deer and elk have a hard time picking you out.  I really like something that absorbs light.  Wool, fleece, 3D camo like ghillies or leafy suits really make you melt into the background.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone; getting a lot out of it! One common theme though has been to break up my outline. I guess that is my next question; how do I break up my outline with regular clothes as opposed to just wearing a camo pattern?

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
I really like something that absorbs light.  Wool, fleece, 3D camo like ghillies or leafy suits really make you melt into the background.
You wear clothing that absorbs light well, stick to earthy tones. nothing reflective or noisy. Move slowly. be aware of your background so you have something to blend into. and be very still. like someone said earlier, animals have a hard time picking you out if your absolutely still and silent, no matter what your wearing.... to an extent lol

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Plaid
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I agree with Mike Vines. Plaid.

All I wear anymore is plaid shirts, many from the thrift stores, and plain brown or green carharts.

Take the money you will save on high tech, expensive, name brand camo, and you can go on a out of state hunting trip.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I like both full camo and muted plaids. Fabrics that don't shine are important, as is quietness as previously stated. Keep in mind some fabrics are even more noisy when very cold. That's why I like wool in cool weather - it is always quiet. However, I have military camo that works well, and noise has not been a severe issue. Just be sure that what you wear breaks up your outline.

The only problem with my ghillies is that they are just too hot for much of the hunting season here in middle GA. But they sure do work well. Most of the time in hot weather, I wear subdued pants with a camo mesh bug suit top and only a tee shirt under to deal with heat. It was a bit shiny when new but is now old enough that this is not a problem any longer.

However, in the final analysis, if you sit still, be quiet, and work the wind, what you wear is not such a critical issue.
Sam

Offline Shoregobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Do yourself a huge favor and buy some Predator Camo.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I also like Predator camo. Not only does it work for me to break up my outline, but as an added bonus, I look good in it too.    ;)
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
thanks again for all the input! These have been great tips. It is interesting that this thread has illustrated my initial point though: some folks are saying basically that it doesn't matter too much and don't bother going hi tech. Then there are folks who say to go hi tech. :)Hey if one or the other works for you I guess  there is no need to change back and forth right?

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
But I see your point about looks Night Wing. I checked out Predator Camo patterns and they are pretty slick!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Like mentioned go with quiet!!! I would like to add one thing cover your face with camo net or make up. I have used the leafy wear camo for the last fer years but I've had plenty luck with wearing flannel. I have notice over the years that crows will come in my hunting area if they can't see my face and they never do if my face is not covered. Good Luck!!!

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
MHO- Camo is a way to break up the human outline and minimize movement to animals.  Like the others have said, when it comes to turkeys, better have a good camo Predator or ASAT.  For color blind animals, (DEER) all you need are earth tones (plaids).  Plenty of animals have been harvested long before WW2 when the camo was first used on a broad scale.  For stalking as already said quiet material and one that absorbs light works best.  If you can rub your fingernail on it and make noise it will be louder in woods.  This is one of the main reason wool is so well liked.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
If hi tech was necessary, humans would have died out long ago.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
I would recommend an ASAT 3D leafy suit. You can wear any type of clothing underneath depending how warm/cold it is outside. It makes me more confident when I FEEL invisible, and that helps me be a better hunter. Not one piece of camouflage clothing is as good as keeping the wind in your face and sitting still however. If you combine good quality camouflage with woodsmanship, you will become a predator
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Sitka Gear is my 1st and Predator would be 2nd. Good, color-fast clothing will last many seasons as long as one goes easy on the chips and doughnuts!

I'm sure I could kill deer wearing the baby blue Tux I  was married in 34 years ago, but I won't.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©