3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow flight  (Read 333 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow flight
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I posted before that I'm trying wood arrows and I'm very excited for the change.  I have 2 wood test arrows I've been shooting and I can notice more flyers and erratic flight compared to my carbons, shooting together.

Is this because woodies take longer to recover after the shot? And show poor form more than carbon?  My carbons are flying like darts and I know my form is Perfect!!!  :)
Don't want to order my customs If I still need to tune these testers more.
Thanks for the help
Jay
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow flight
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Have you bare shafted the woodies yet? You may need a different spine from what you have there. Also point weight.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
I find woodies never fly as good as my carbons. I guess that is why there are open and wood classes at 3 D shoots.

When I did a shot for shot comparison of the Hitman vs Great Northern Ghost, I used woodies, not carbons.

Woodies are woodies. There is something about them that draws me to woodies.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
You mentioned custom arrows, a good arrow maker should be able to get you set up just right.

You also may want to tell us your exact setup bow poundage at bows draw length, your actual draw length, what type of string and how many strands, center shot measurement and I'll be happy to check it out on Stu's for you. I'm guessing that you have never used Stu's since your asking and I highly recommend not using it on your first set of arrows if you're not familiar with it. I've had very good luck with Stu's but it was a little tricky before I figured it out.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Your spine is probably off a bit.  Also, woodies don't like extreme foc, so you may want to check that.  Properly tuned woodies should fly like darts.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Wood arrows with the proper spine, and meticulously straightened, should give you nothin' but nock on the way to the target and  tight groups(assuming your personal form and technique is good)!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Sorry I hit quote instead of edit. I was changing my post to 1st set of wood arrows... Then did it again,LOL. I had knee surgery yesterday and I had very little sleep, if any:(

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
A good tuned set of woods shoot just as well as any other arrow.As mentioned the right spine arrow is a must.Also if your nock is tuned for carbons it may need to be raised when shooting wooods.The bow plays a roll as well,is the bow cut center or 3/16 past.Im a hunter and 3d competition shooter and have shot any type arrow good that is tuned for my shooting and equipment.I cut the bows i build both recurves and longbows 3/16 past center.The advantage is you can tune a wide variety of arrows and spine.It lessons archers parodox.If the the bow is cut to center then you can fine a wood to shoot very well but it will show more parodox until it recovers.This is normal and the arrow will still shoot very well.I shoot woods just as good as carbons,so dont give up on woods.

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I shoot a BW PSA w/ their string (not sure type or strands), 52# @26".  Dave sent me the arrows and think they are 50-55's. I have 125 pts and another I tried 145 but not seeing a difference.
I have used Stu's for my carbons, CE 150's 27" long w/ 100gn insert w/ 125 pt.
Thanks for the help
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I only shoot wood and they shoot at least as good as carbon or any other material. If yours aren't shooting good you have the wrong spine.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
You mean there is some other arrow material  BESIDES  Wood???   :scared:  Just Joshin' Ya!  :laughing:   I agree with Legend. Wood can shoot as good or better than any of the rest, just My Opinion of course.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Like everyone had said, matched and tuned wood will shoot with any carbon.  As far as FOC , i have a set of 55-60 cedars with 250 up front that shoot amazing out of my 63# longbow..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I'm no expert by any means but I would think you're a little weak with 50-55 spine. I'm assuming a 26" draw? 55-60s with 125 up front would seem to me to work better for your PSA. Cut 27 1/2 or so should put you close.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
When I really get my woodies dialed in they fly at least as well as my carbons, and much better from a non-centershot bow.  They are more particular about being well tuned, however.  There may be more room for error with carbon, but wood has a number of advantages and can be worked to shoot just as well or better.

And, there are aesthetic values also.  ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I can tell little difference in the accuracy between different types of arrow materials. I guess from a technical perspective carbons SHOULD shoot more accurately than woodies simply because they are straighter and more consistent. Still, the feats of famous shooters years ago when only woodies were available says tons for their accuracy.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Woodies will shoot just as good as a carbon arrow, they dont come that way out of the box though. It takes a little effort to get them there.

Theres more to it than dippin & fletchin.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©