3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting at Long Yardages  (Read 481 times)

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting at Long Yardages
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Just curious as to how you guys that shoot at ranges in access of 25 yards. In other words, is it just an instictive shot, or do you actually pick a spot to shoot that is above the where you want your arrow to hit. Im pretty accurate at 20 yards and in, but my accuracy starts to fall off after that. So, what's the secret to longer range shooting?   Thanks and God Bless,  Steve
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting at Long Yardages
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Steve, I try to keep my shots under 20 yards when hunting, but I do practice shots out to 35-37 yards. I just pick a spot and release concentrating on form, elbow placement and anchor point. I'm not consistent enough to try such shots on living game. Personally I think the key is practice, practice, practice.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Im a split vision (gapstinctive) shooter so I shoot the same as any range where i still need to focuse somewhat on my secondary reference.  Im currently at about 40 p.o.a. so up to that point it depends on distance where i want my arrow point.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I like to get as close as conditions will permit and mostly hunt by ambush and stalking, getting close is a fun contest.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
20 Yard or LESS for Critters, as far as I can Shoot for max at Targets!! LOVE to see that arrow fly, and Actually HIT that target from 50 or 60 yards!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I've been practicing a lot at 30 yards lately, and I've found that I have to hold about point on or a bit above...usually I shoot instinctively, but at that range I find I do a bit more 'aiming'. Long range shots seem to help me with my form for some reason, though.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Long shots are fun, nothing cooler than watching your arrow fly true from longer distances, helps keep it interesting for me:

This one stepped off to roughly forty plus yards:

Not saying I would shoot at game from these distances (yet!) but it keeps it fun for me   :)

Oh, and it's pretty much instinctive for me, just go with what my gut is sayin. I think it helps me line up better too on the shorter shots    :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I like to shoot far (at "stuff" . .  not critters) but I sure am not very good at it.  I shoot instinctive until I think the target will be out of my vision (below the shelf), then I pick a higher spot and aim instictively at that.
ChuckC

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Last weekend, went out stumping w/Forrest Halley both Saturday & Sunday for 4-5 hours each time shooting targets to 45-50 yards. His first stumping exercise. Not only fun; but, revealing as to what yardage each individual may feel within his/her comfort zone.

We both shoot split totally instinctive. I envision crosshairs "+" where I want my arrow to hit no matter the distance. Forrest shot amazingly well for a first timer. We each judged the other "pie plate" close often at longer distances. Nothing to pass for golden opportunity at live animals at those distances; yet, a reasonable exercise of where to draw the line. Each bowhunter must be responsible & ethical. 50 years bowhunting...not yet expert.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Look, hope and let go.  Lots of  fun watching that arrow arc through the air. Heck, its more than fun its magical.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I  shoot instictive 30yds and under and gap longer range. I like critters inside 25yds and preferably inside 20yds. I find spending time plinking at longer ranges sharpens up my close(er) shooting as well.

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I agree with most of you, it's definately 20 and in for me while hunting. I would just like to have a little more accuracy when I'm just poking around and practicing and wasn't quite sure as to how more experienced shooters handle longer shots.
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
I'm always taking long shots (40-100yd) as I walk through the field to the woodlot behind the house. Pure instinctive. Sometimes the mark is behind my bow hand, sometimes I have to look under my hand. Not that I would take a long shot at a game animal but some of the local blackbirds are missing a few feathers.  :)

I think a Judo point is a must when it comes to shooting a bow. I will shoot at anything without fear of losing the arrow. It's amazing how close you can get to a distant target if you just let it fly without thinking about it too much.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm shooting 95% of my shots this spring/summer at 40+ yards. I use my arrow as POA, but most of my focus is on form. Proper back tension and being a statue after the shot for 3 seconds. Then I shoot 3 shots at 20 yards before I go call it quits and my groups improve A LOT!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Instinctive, but obtained through PRACTICE....
I used to be fairly good at shots out to 40 and even 50 yards, but in the past year I have got into a routine of shooting off my deck at the same targets and I have noticed my accuracy really taking a nose dive after about 30 yards.  I need to start roving more and varying my routine.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
Practice is the keyword here. I shooth till 60 yards with my traditional bow and woodies. I am pretty acurate with it too.
Shooth till the distance you are comfortable at. Then go 5 yards further, till you can hit. Go agian further and so on. I always train all distances, that is from 10 meter till 55 and everthing between it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
I've shot long distance shots since I was a boy. I've even killed a pile of small game at distances in excess of 30 yards... I can think of a weasel at forty yards in a heavy wind, a ground squirrel at 60 and a rockchuck somewhere over a hundred yards. Prairie dogs can be difficult to approach closer than 30 yards and I've killed a pile of those at 40 yards. (all yardages are educated guesses) Most of those shots were exceptions and certainly not the rule, but there were many more.The law of averages catches up to you after a while.

The key is "NO SLOP"!!

If you've never just got out and launched an arrow at a stump or other target at a hundred yards you need to find a place where you can do that.
It's just a total gas and it can really hone a guys form.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Long shoots sure are fun, but realisticly I'm an under 30 guy for hunting.  In fact my shooting at 30 seems to be better than it is at 22.  Seems backwards, but it's true.  It's all instictive for me, just point and shoot.  Form is key, a sloppy release at 30 yards or more = big miss.  3D shoot with some long shoots mixed in and roving are a big help. I think a large part of the equation is having a feel for the distance even if it is all instictive.  Although you aren't consciuosly calculating elevation, your subconscious brain is doing it and all you've got to do is feel it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
I shoot my normal aiming method (?????) out to my point on distance which is around 40 yards and then use the point of the arrow beyond that over the target. For extreme ranges out to 125 I have to drop my anchor under my chin and aim at blue sky sort of instinctively and look at the target from the offside of the riser. It can be done.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Jason Westbrock's article in TBM recently hit the nail on the head-practice at longer ranges as it hones your form and makes your actual hunting range shots slam dunks.  

The 3-D range that we shoot on has targets out to 45 yards if you shoot from the competition markers, which we do every time.  When you get up to 15 yards on some of the little critters, it seems easy (comparatively).  The thing that I like with my setup is that I keep my score cards and put them into an excel spreadsheet. When I look up at the scores on each target, I can see if there's a type of shot that messes me up and work on it (like the steep angle hard quartering away whitetail-it's shot from a platform with a railing and I think that messes with me a little as to shooting over it or backing up and shooting under the railing).  Anyway, stretching your shots and concentrating on holding form is good for your actual hunting shots.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©