3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unique hunt //Stone Point hog harvest UPDATE w/Pics!!!  (Read 919 times)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unique hunt //Stone Point hog harvest UPDATE w/Pics!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Wicked points & arrows! Best of luck. Pix please.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Whats up Irv! This is Dalton (husky archer) good to hear from you man i hope all is well up your way. I was telling Jim, i just got hundreds of acres to hunt (and a place to stay) near Bunnell. And its all free!  When we figure it out ill have to have you guys up!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Shoot straight Ryan
DonD

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
:campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Friday was a complete wash out for Chad and Eli. 3.5 inches of rain in three hours!Eli had some really little hogs(10-30 lbs)come in Saturday morning, he decided to pass.
I shot a decent black boar still-hunting the overgrown pasture. I was experimenting with a string tracker, the arrow flew funny and I hit it in the hip(only 3" of penetration). Had decent blood at first and then drops every 10 yards and then nothing. Looked from 7:30-11am, nothing. Haven't seen buzzads yet so it's probably ok.
Ryan and Dax's hunt started at Saturday afternoon....

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Ryan "introduced" some stone to a raccoon this morning(thanks Ryan), he also saw some turkeys and deer.
Dax sent a warning shot over a small hog's back the first night. He also had a single boar come close but not close enough last night.
We saw that small white boar several times and started calling him blanco grande!
The full moon has had the bigger hogs mostly nocturnal, it hasn't helped that it's in the low 90's either.
They still have one sit left to close the deal.
Will post some pics later...

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Ryan brought me a really awesome gift!

Will post pics later....

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
The first afternoon Chad, Eli, and I did some bowfishing in the canal at camp. There were a lot of gar rising. I managed to get an arrow into a nearly black gar but the darn line broke!Ten minutes later, Eli says, "there it is"! The fish was swimming to our side of the canal with the arrow still in it. I reached down gingerly,Eli and Chad held my ankles so I didn't take a gator dive.I retrieved it and got away from the water.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Ryan drew swine blood......
I'll let him tell the story, it's a good one.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Ryan and Dax enjoying the lavish accomodations in camp!These guys are both excellent shots.I was really impressed with the cast of those selfbows!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Here is a link to clip of Ryan shooting and some hog footage.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LmLORt85P4&feature=youtu.be

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Nice!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Good shooting Ryan! Was waiting on the kill shot Jimmie! Saw that nice hog slipping through the salt grass & hoped one of you would skewer him.
Buddy Bell

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
straiteria,
That was the one(from page 2) I stalked up on and shot(poorly). No buzzards yet, so he probably made it.
I'll put what video I have on my Youtube page.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Ryan brought me a special bow, an osage selfbow, 64" 47@28. It definitely has some character and besides being a beauty, it shoots where it points.
Can't wait to dial it in and stick a hog!

He also handcrafted a half dozen cane arrows, four with trade points. Almost too nice to shoot, almost.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Very cool!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Ryan? Oh, Ryan.......(pics?)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Way cool bownarrows!
Buddy Bell

Offline twistedlimbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Alrighty, got in from a great weekend, we had a lot of laughs for sure. the full moon was really messing us up i think. But we at got some action in. It didnt loose and arrow on any game until the final day...but i got plenty of shooting the final day.  no misses though!  I shot a raccoon through both shoulders at 8 yards but it some how had the strength to climb up a large live oak tree before dieing..so i didnt get to retrieve it because it didnt fall out.  then after some talking and eating of grapefruits, Dax and I went for a little walk along the wood line.  a group of little pigs jumped out of some grass and scrambled. Instinct took over without a single thought. it was definitely the hunter instinct as i drew an arrow from my quiver, nocked it, and dropped the string, all in about 10 seconds. the pig was quartering away and i was hoping to slip it in behind the last rib and up into the vitals but instead hit right on the ham and came out just behind the opposite shoulder. we gave it plenty of time, but found it dead in about 100 yards, plenty of followable blood.  
   I shot it with my 60# @ 25" aboriginal style Florida Pop Ash bow, Florida privet arrow and Florida chert stone point. I will be the first to admit that its not a very big pig- 30-35 pounds, but it's going to be excellent eating (tomorrow night) and it's still a stone kill with my Native Florida equipment I made, so I am more than satisfied. especially given the moon and heat conditions.
      then that evening about 1\\2 hour before dark, I spied ANOTHER coon walking in, it actually snooped under my stand for a little bit but i let it get out to about 6 yards before i shot. I broke one shoulder and came out the neck. It looked like the cartoons as it ran into a bush. I couldnt see the coon but the coon was roaring and the bush was shaking. then it popped out and took off through the orange grove, not wanting another blood trail, i gave it a follow up shot from behind at the base of the skull. I am about as pleased with the coon as i am with the hog..lol   I shot it with the same Florida native gear i Made.  
   all in all, we sure had a great time. anytime in the woods with friends is bound to be a great time. Jim provides genuine hunts, they aren't the "ring the dinner bell and they come running hunts".  these are real wild pigs, not stocked and fenced.  He has plenty of pigs around and is a real pleasure to hunt with him.  Truth be told, I am not normally a feeder hunter, but i did hunt feeders since the moon was bad for us, but when it came down to it, I did get my pig the way I wanted, on the ground and in the bush. funny how things work out the way you want them to. - Ryan        

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©