3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: archery course  (Read 305 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
archery course
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
has anyone made a sorta "3d" course out of bag targets and just aquired like 15 targets to randomly put out and set up stakes like it is a 3d course?

what bags do you recommend im thinking about the yellow jacket crossbow discharge target as i can get them for 20$ and i can just buy alot more and just pick a smaller spot
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: archery course
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
I have never personally seen it, but I'm sure it has probably been done before.
James Kerr

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I think that is a great idea. Been thinking along those are lines myself. Smaller targets would work fine. Aim small miss small.   :biglaugh:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
Yep. I use burlap coffee bags stuffed with the plastic and some regular 3D targets. It does take some regular maintenance this time of year to keep things trimmed up.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
Yep. I use burlap coffee bags stuffed with the plastic and some regular 3D targets.

If you can get ahold of discarded shipping wrap it works even better than plastic bags.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Contact archery course's and rod and gun clubs around you,ask if they have any old targets they
would sell. Check online classifieds in your area as well. I scored big time this way. I was able to gather 13 3-D targets in a years time and now have a real nice range on our property.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I made a bag course in the small woodlot behind the house. Very simple, very cheap, very easy to maintain.

I have 12 small plastic feed sacks stuffed with any plastic bag, tarp, wrapping I could find. I twist the bag at the top and tie off with a long wire. Wrap the wire around a sapling of 2"dia and let it hang. Done! I keep the bottom of the bag off the ground about 1-1/2' so it's mostly out of the snow in wintertime. They stay up year 'round.

I kicked out a simple path from one bag to the next and can shoot it both directions. The shooting distance is whatever you want as you walk up the the next bag. My bags are placed approx 40yd apart.

Eventually the bag needs replaced so I stuff the whole thing into a new bag, tie off, and start shooting. The sapling might eventually get shot enough to warrant moving the bag to the next sapling. The targets are totally weather proof and pretty much free.

Since I made my course a couple years ago I rarely shoot at my regular 4 target range. Just too boring.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
Contact archery course's and rod and gun clubs around you,ask if they have any old targets they
would sell. Check online classifieds in your area as well. I scored big time this way. I was able to gather 13 3-D targets in a years time and now have a real nice range on our property.
X2  Our gun club used to have a 3-D course and had the targets stored, taking up room. Nobody wanted to set up and run the course. I was already totally tied up with youth skeet coaching. We tried to sell them to other clubs and archery ranges. Nobody wanted them. We finally trashed them.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
What Red Beastmaster said. We have made bag targets out of feed sacks stuffed with more feed sacks. Works well.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
+1 Those feed sacks make a nice "POP" when hit by an arrow.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
I love old couch cushions for targets(most times they are free) and you can take a sharp filet knife and cut out animal shapes. Or even better(my daughter gets mad at this) I buy cheep stuffed animals at yard sales and shoot the crap out of them. And use cardboard for cutting out animal shapes its cheaper.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
ames sells the pillow targets, there are a number of sponsors on here that sell them.  You just fill em with cast off walmart bags, plastic wrap etc. They have an animal printed on either side and last quite a long time. I just bought some from the nocking point, a sponsor on here and am having really good results with them. And they are like twenty bucks apiece, without the filling of course.  Good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©