3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The value of a mentor  (Read 305 times)

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
The value of a mentor
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I have been seeing many topics surface lately of new guys asking for help especially those looking for books. While I have learned much (in some cases VERY much) from books or forums a good mentor is hard to beat. For example lets say you read in a book how to sharpen a broadhead. If you don't "get" it you can't ask the book to explain it better or different, a good mentor/teacher will make sure that you "get" it before moving on. I was blessed enough in my teens to have a mentor when I started bowhunting. I learned more from one walk in the woods with him than I would have in 1 year by myself. That is the same reason guys always want to meet famous guys like the wensels or charlie lamb or the mittens etc. It's not because they wrote a book, it's because of what they didn't write in the book. So if you are new at hunting (or bowhunting) and you find yourself scratching your head go to a shoot or hop on here and find guys in your area that know there stuff that are willing to help you. You will both be better because of it.    :archer:

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The value of a mentor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
"Value of a mentor"  Priceless, I buried mine last July 16th, my father.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jon. You are right they are "priceless".

Offline Escoffier1974

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Good morning;

Are you all volunteering?  As a new hunter, we/I am trying to figure things out as best I can, but finding folks to show you the ropes is difficult.  I only have extended family that hunts, but they are also 2-4 states away, so I can't go with them, particularly when my job only let's me get out into the field on weekends during hunting season.  Immediate family hasn't hunted in 3 generations (my great grandparents were the last to go hunting if you go straight back the family tree), so they don't often understand why I would want to go (part of my reasons has to do with the fact that what you bring home from the field tastes so much better).

Another part of the problem us new folks have is what we do and where we are.  It's hard to find folks at work/church/school/whatever to talk to and get advice from when you work in a big city.  It gets more difficult when you get older, as well.  I have yet to here someone say "let me show this kid how things are done the right way" and be talking about someone in their mid-thirtys (like me).  If your in your teens, you have the "ignorance of youth" on your side.  When you get to my age, all you get is the "what is wrong with him, why doesn't he know this already" look.

I'm not complaining, but that's where I'm coming from.  That's also why I'm here.  This is arguably the most practical hunting forum I've found.

D

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I agree, a Mentor is priceless, buried on of mine last october, my dad.  but have a bowhunting buddy who has taught me alot.  taking someone under the wing is almost as thrilling as watching your child grow.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Escoffier1974- I hear ya. My point was more due to the fact that the age we are in most people just hop right on the internet to get their info. It just seems like it is overlooked as a possibility to many people nowadays is all. If you ever have any questions you can feel free to P.M. me I would help you out in person if you weren't a state away.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
To get to know folks that might take you hunting and help show you the ropes I'd suggest joining some bow hunting related clubs. One would be the PBS. Professional Bowhunters Society. Join as a associate. Then get on the web page and ask if there is anyone in you area willing to help out.

I 'd love to get with you if you were close enough. I'm retired and live away from family and old friends and miss the hunting companions I once had.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I just yesterday made a dozen arrows for my sons friend, threw in a back quiver,tab,and armguard. He told his dad and me he wanted to try archery, and two days later he found a bow at a garage sale. I told him to come over and shoot with me and my son(11 yo) and we will teach him all about archery. I know this will spawn a trend in the neighborhood.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Escoffier1974, I see you live in Indiana. If you are close to the Michigan border try and make it to Comptons on fathersday weekend.  There will be more vendors there than  any other shoot you will attend and many many people to help you out.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I try to help whoever I can when I can, am I a mentor...? I don't know it just seems like the thing to do. I had a few good teachers gun hunting but bowhunting I was kind'a on my own. I have been at it a long time and if I can help someone get interested.....that's a good thing!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Until we know everything there is to know we are all mentored, more or less, by the sharing of others.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©