3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with flint heads  (Read 328 times)

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with flint heads
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I have been trying my hand at knapping and I havn't been doing so well. I am wanting to use flint this fall for deer hunting. I am starting to really doubt I will have a huntable head, let alone a set. Does anybody have any experience with buying good flint heads from a knapper? I would appreciate any help. Also does anyone know of any knapping classes or knap-ins? I could use alot of help LOL.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with flint heads
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Mike Yancy at Pine Hollows offers fine heads, as do some others on here.  Over on the Primitive Archer site there are a bunch of guys who will sell/trade for their work.  It is certainly a skill that takes some time to gain proficiency.  I suck like gravity, myself, but want to get decent someday.
Silence is golden.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
Buying flint heads can be costly. Most of the primitive shoots have some knapping going on. I would also like to make some heads but taking on another hobby would overload me.lol

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Don't try to make a set of matched heads. Concentrate on one good head and build an arrow around that.
  There is a very big knapin/gathering at Flint Ridge OH sometimes during the summer. Google it!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
A lot of very talented knappers sell their work on flintknappers.com. Be prepared to spend about $15 - $20 per point for good quality.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:25:00 AM »
I think if you've started knapping already, you'd be cheating yourself to buy heads.  Keep practicising and getting better....all you really need is one good arrow!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Go to Flintridge, Ohio this late summer/early fall.  Probably 50 plus knappers there with booths selling their items.  And they will be happy to give you lessons and tips for free.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
www.gillsprimitivearchery.com

Ryan makes great stone heads, knives, selfbows,etc.

In fact, he took a hog and two raccoons this past weekend at my property using stone.
See, Unique Hunt at True South Adventures, thread.
Jim

Offline braveraven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
As some of the folks here have mentioned, please find time to go to Flint Ridge Knap-in.  Since you are an Ohio man, it should be a short trip.  There is always a group of West Virginia Boys that are easy to get along with and would be more that happy to show you all they know.  Just walk along the camping area and look for the WV vehicles.  If you buy points, ask around for a Knapper that hunts with his points.  They'll most likely have the keenest edges on their work.  As far as your knapping is concerned, persevere, persevere and it will come to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©