3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you give a bow before you decide its not for you?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been shooting the Superior for about 4-6 weeks now almost exclusively, and I just dont know if its for me.  The bow is comfortable, and shoots amazingly, there is just something about it that is not sitting with me.  I dont know if its the weight, length, shelve...... Im just not sure. But im starting to wonder if I should let it go and look for a new bow. Maybe go back to Recurves for now?  I really do like the quiteness of the Longbow, compared to the aggressive hybrids and recurves I have shot, but the bow just does not seem to be clicking?

I mean this bow is to my exact specs, that I wanted, from wood to glass, to poundage and length. Its like that girl in highschool you always wanted to date, and then when you did you realized she wasnt all you thought she would be, so you wanna go back to what you are comfortable  with? Any thoughts or opinions friends, I really dont want to pay a shrink for this information!!! LOL
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long do you give a bow before you decide its not for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
When in doubt, move it out! If you are not confident in a bow you will never shoot well with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
I once ordered a new Blacktail without ever handling one. Waited almost a year to get it when it arrived. It was absolutely beautiful as they all are. As your's it shot great but I knew right off I just didn't care for the limbs being spongy or bouncy and I also didn't care for the long riser. I kept it about 4 months and finally realized it just wasn't for me and sold it. I bought and sold many bows in the classifieds for a few years and have found 5 bows that are just perfect for me.

My advice is don't wait do what you know you will do eventually. Thing is you can always buy another if need be. You hear it all the time but it is very true, go to a big rendezvous where there are many bowyers. Handle and shoot them all. It will quickly let you know what you like and don't like. Although I had a blast buying and selling.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I can relate to what your going through. I love my long bow, it's just to heavy of a draw to have fun with it. Also just not consistant on target to much bow torque.

So with that said, I'm going back to my recurve which is about 10 lb lighter in draw. When I get some extra funds I'm going to order a lighter wheight long bow.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I went through the same thing.  If it just doesn't feel right to you, then you are never going to be happy with it. NOthing wrong with the bow. Sometimes it feels right, sometimes it dosn't. Send it down the road.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Guys I went through a ton of bows before I found the trail to "Sherwood".

It doesn't make you less a good person because something just doesn't feel right for you nor does it make the bow that doesn't work for you a bad bow.

It's your choice and you are the only one that has control over what you do or don't do.

I will say it is/was a fun part of my journey getting to own and shoot all of the fantastic bows.

There are a lot of bows that I've owned that were a pure pleasure to shoot and almost always hit exactly where I was looking but they didn't get my heart thumping on the path to "Sherwood".

I now am having a blast with my bows and so what if every shot made isn't perfect...I'm right where I want to be.

God's grace and peace to you all.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I would say, keep it in the flock for now.  Go get your next "perfect" bow and a couple of months after you get it reevaluate your decision.  If the first bow still doesn't fit - move it out.  Many of us are on a constant search for the perfect bow for us.  What I have found is that as my form is more and more fine tuned my view of my bows changes.  That said, I have had a couple that I felt like you do - they just don't fit - one is already gone and the other is on deck.

As an aside, I love the looks of your Superior - prettiest bow I have seen in quite awhile.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
I would move on.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Ascertain what is an optimum fit for you first unless you already have back-ups.

Similar to quitting a job before securing another. The hardest person to employ is an unemployed person.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
This thread is for me.I just received this week a B-riser Green stripe Bear takedown.After falling in love with my Bob Lee short and light riser as my go-to bow for the last two years I cannot get use to the wgt. and looks of this bow.The takedown feature is genius but also is bulky and not for me.May have to sell it.Kip

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Used bow market is low right now. You may take a big hit on it if you don't keep it for awhile. However, you might find it great trade bait to try something else. It happens all the time, "had the bow a month, just not for me". Time to move and get in the groove, because there are bows out there that will "click" for you. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Not long.   God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Not long.   God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I think a guy can tell in short order if a bow is for him.  

It is tough when you have a bow right in your specs and it just does not feel right, but you know.  At that point it is up to you whether you want to put it on the rack and never shoot it, or move it on to someone who will find it a fit.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I have bought and sold lots of them...some I wish I would have given more of a chance but I usually knew within a few shots if the bow was for me or not.  Like I said there were a few that I wish now I would have given a little more time to, but that's what I get.

I usually wait till the bow is tuned well and I tune an arrow to it before I decide completely, many bows shoot far better/different when tuned properly.  

Normally though, the grip, or feel during the shot will make my mind up very soon after shooting a new bow for the first time.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I usually get through one 3D shoot and I know. I can convince myself of a lot of things in the back yard but not at 3D. I don't pay attention to score with a new bow but draw and hand placement reapeatablity.

I don't let many things gather dust. Bows were built to hunt. :archer2:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Well, I agree with everyone here.  I too do not let things collect dust, I am not a collector of anything. If I own it I want to use it.
   As far as back ups go, I have two bows I can use for shooting and hunting in the stable aside from the Superior. I have a new NM Huron, with a straight grip which is feeling like a keeper.  And I have my old faithfull Herters that always performs. Its only 40lb @28 and I draw 27 so I am leary of hunting with it for anything other than small game.
   If I keep the Superior I feel it will do nothing other than gather dust.  I think Im going to break up with her. Oh it hurts to do this, but I think Im going to place it for sale or trade.   She is pretty, but just not for me i think.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Sometimes I know (or at least think I know)just by looking and sometimes the instant I pick it up. Other bows I might like for days, weeks or months before I "know" this one isn't for me.

There are times a new bow comes along that touches all the right buttons and causes me to rethink what I had previously thought was inviolate.  I reckon if you look up the definition of "fickle" you'll see something like I just wrote?

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Sometimes you need to hang it up for a couple of weeks and shoot another bow and then come back to it. The new bow syndrome works for a while but will really let you know if its a keeper. Way too many bow out there to try, when in dismay, ship it away....

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
If it's not right, it won't take long to find out it's not for you. A week maybe, I have had bows that I knew were wrong for me and knew it in an hour! When there is a bow that you just keep going back to, or can't wait to shoot....that's a keeper. I have a couple right now that are just right for me....a couple of Zippers and a couple of Holm-Made by Chad Holm. I just got a Silvertip that seem to fit the bill and a Hill Halfbreed. I need to thin the herd to just my favorites....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©