3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you give a bow before you decide its not for you?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long do you give a bow before you decide its not for you?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Im also kinda thinking, so far everybow I have ever shot, will do its job within 20yards. Even when it doesnt feel "right" Im comfortable at hunting ranges. So this decision is based on the pure joy of shooting the bow. And right now its just not it.  Why I can not find joy in stable, quick, quiet, accurate, smooth i'll never know. I must just be silly as a pet coon.  I will post it later after the Shriner Circus.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Gene Wensel once told me that a bow is just a tool. If you can look at it like that then the decision will be easier to let it go. Buy a bow as if you were shopping for the right tool. Makes a big difference on how you look at it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
That's what makes archery so much fun for me.
Finding the next right bow   :banghead:  I can
tell within a few shots if a bow will work for
me. My Zippers and Assenheimers are always right.
I would say give the bow a rest and come back to it in a few weeks then make your choice.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
It's fun to try different bows and it doesn't take long for me to know if it's a "keeper" or not.  That's why it's nice to buy used until you find one that really works for you.  Then order a new one from the same bowyer just the way you want it.  

If you know it isn't right, I'd sell it or use it for trade bait.  Lots of nice bows around and trying them is a big part of the fun.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Move it on, it's all about comfort and confidence
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Ten minutes.  Seriously.  If you have a bow that is tuned and arrows that match it. You can tell in no time if the bow is going to be for you. If you don't like it right away, the chances of it "growing on you" are pretty slim.  

I have shot numerous bows that people ranted and raved about only to discover that I did not like the way they shot.  That is why it is so important to try before you buy.  Not only that, but try to buy the one you shot well when you were doing the trying!

If they don't have blood on them they are a tool to be traded.  Once they have blood on them they are a family member...    ;)
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I have made a lot of self bows.  Honestly, I can tell on the first few shots if a bow is for me or not.  Even when I tweak them or try to make them fit, they sometimes just don't.  Now the ones I fall in love with on the first shot, and there have been a lot of them, are tough to send on their way.

I have an Ancient Spirits Kadiak that, from the very first shot, was a part of me.  I have a lot of other bows that I have gotten in trade that just don't work.  And I almost always know right away.  I still keep them though.  I find it hard to part with bows  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
One hour of shooting....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
On a different but similar note - I have found that if you are at a show and find a bow that shoots for you - BUY IT - don't have one built "just like it" or in different limb veneers, riser material, etc. as it never shoots the same.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Wiltshire:
On a different but similar note - I have found that if you are at a show and find a bow that shoots for you - BUY IT - don't have one built "just like it" or in different limb veneers, riser material, etc. as it never shoots the same.
Exactly.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
I know from day one most of the time, but some times it takes a couple of weeks for me to be sure.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I am with John, after I shoot a few arrows I know right away whether it is a keeper for me or to move it on.

There are so many great bows and bowyers out there that there are many keepers. I have one bow that is the one for me and wouldn't sell it for any price. But there have been many others close to it.

I collect longbows and have many that I could have been happy with. I have a collection of many because I love the longbow, but there is only one I shoot regularly and hunt with.

After 4 weeks if it still doesn't feel right to you I would say it isn't. I would try to find out what it is that isn't right with you before you move it on.

I also recommend not getting in the mode of looking for the perfect bow. It is fun trying many different bows, but along the way you will find many that could be perfect for you. I searched for the perfect bow and bought, tested, tried and moved on over 300 in 4 or 5 years. That screwed my shooting up and it took a trip to Bob Wesley's place to straighten me out again.

Good luck and have fun in your search. it is all good.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
As others have already said better than I could....not long at all.

If the grip isn't right the very first time I pick it up it either:

1. Goes right back on the rack / table and doesn't get purchased

2. Goes on the shelf until I have the time / opportunity to sell it

Seem to have honed in on a bow or two that fits just right and have accumulated a few of them now.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
well,
I think I may have figured it out.  I came over from compound to recurve. The grip was very similar, and so I shot the Recurve well.  Ive always wanted to try a longbow, and this one came up in every spec that I wanted so i bought it. It has a very slight locator grip to it, which makes me want to grip it like a recurve, and that just does not work with this bow.  So I have learned to grip it in the longbow fashion, but its not natural for me.  The NM Huron is a straight grip, and holding it like a longbow comes very natural to me and hence i shoot it well and comfortable.
  To sum it up, if im going to be shooting a longbow i need a straight grip.  Ill leave the pistol and defined grips to the Aggressive Hybrids and Recurves.  So now I am on the hunt for a straight grip LB or maybe going back to the Recurve world.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Its official, I have it listed here and another Archery website.  No hard feelings. Its a tool that did not suit me.  I shot the NM Huron for a bit and realized I have a real shooter and keeper in the Flatbow.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
With all due respect to earlier posts, my bows are far more than just tools to me. I've got hammers, saws, jigs, and cut-off saws.

Sometimes I would rather damage one of my appendages than my favorite bow. Such a bow keeps me company in the tree, gets me past a stressful time at work, and provides hours on end of pure pleasurable challenge.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Usually only takes me a few shots or so.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Sometimes as soon as you pick it up....maybe the grip, or the weight of the riser....you just know to put it down!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
I had a customer call me two days after he got the bow and said I do not like this bow and want to send it back. I said what is wrong with it? Answer was nothing , I just do not like it and it jars my shoulder.
  I said send it back and I will refund your money.
\\
A couple of days later he calls me again and he says , I took this bow to my mentor who I deeply respect and had him shoot it. He says it is the best longbow he has ever shot so I am not going to send it back.

Two years later this gentleman calls me and says I just want you to know that I was wrong and I cannot miss with this bow and it does not hurt my shoulder at all. My arthritis was just acting up that day but I like it better than any bow I have ever owned now.

So I would hesitate to state categoricaly that a very short time with a bow will allow you to get aquanited with it and with how it really shoots. This gentleman was immediately convinced that he did not like this bow. Now he will not ever part with it. The other bow he loved is second place .

Just saying. Not everyone is the same and although some folks may actually be able to tell immediately, others may take a little time to get used to the new grip ect.

Ever notice how many times we read the post, I had this bow or that bow and wish I had never sold it?

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Good example Steve!  

I'm hanging on to a bow or two right now that I want badly to really like. I know they are great bows but maybe I'm just not refined enough in my evaluation to appreciate em ...yet!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©