3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anybody shoot just one?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anybody shoot just one?
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Not including the Bear Cub I shot before I started hunting I have only owned 4 hunting bows in the 40 years I have been bowhnting.  I started hunting in 1972 with a 45 lb Bear Kodiak Hunter. Used that bow exclusively until 1985 when I acquired a 60 lb Rothaar Recurve as I  needed the weight for elk hunting.  I used that bow until 1996 when I purchased a 55 lb Paul Schwartz Black Ram.  I used that bow until 2004 when I had an accident and broke the tip of the lower limb, if not for that I would still be shooting that bow.  I then purchased a 51 lb Ancient Spirits Thunder Hawk that Tracey made and have been shooting it since.  

I just don't feel a need to own a lot of bows as I will shoot my favorite irregardless of what else is around and it takes a while to get comfortable with a different bow.  I try a few different ones every year at Compton and Kalamazoo but have not found one that fits better or shoots noticeably better than the Thunder hawk.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Me Cari-Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I shoot just one Centaur XTL, and until I can find something that shoots as well it is the only bow I want to shoot.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
One at a time. Would shoot better if I only shot the same one all the time.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Not yet, but I think I could get to that point someday.  It would be a selfbow of my own build if I do though.
Silence is golden.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
i have only ever used one - schafer silvertip. Since I started trad - I started out with this bow. I was 19?? I think - 39 now. Just cant afford to be trading around and buying new and whatnot.

Really chewin on ordering a Dale Dye! though after a thread a couple days back, man they are nice lookin!!! So maybe not a one bow person for much longer!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
I have a whole room full of recurves, longbows, and a selfbow.  All are different makes, lengths and weights.  I just shoot what I want till it gets close to hunting season then I pick one, when I kill something with that one I pick another.  I have been in the yard shooting 3 different bows in the last two days, just more fun that way.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
I collect longbows and have quite a few. I have bought and traded hundreds and thought the perfect bow was a myth. Trying all these different bows screwed up shooting for a while.

Luckily I found there was a perfect bow for me. I just concentrate on shooting that one bow and hunt exclusively with it. Once and while I will take out one of the others to shoot a few arrows out of just to get the cob webs off the bow, but I always do it with my other bow and continue to shoot it when I am done with the other one.

I am going on the Howard Hill Hog hunt next year so I have to shoot my Howard Hill Schulz made Tembo more often for the hunt. Luckily it shoots right where my perfect bow is with the same arrows, so shooting either bow isn't much of a change. Plus I really enjoy shooting the Hill too.

It is all fun, but for me it is best to stick with just one bow to keep my shooting sharp. The old cornputer upstairs isn't what it used to be!

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
1 bow for me 1976' 55# Kodiak Mag.
The only time I changed is when I moved up in weight. Plan on hunting with this bow for years.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I've bought and traded a few bows over the few years I've been in trad...about 1 a year.

The whole time I've been looking for that one bow.

I feel no need to have multiple bows.
Other than I do like to have one back up in case disaster strikes.

I just found a bow that for the very first time takes away my want for the next one.

I'm set with my ONE bow and the back up.
...course I'd like to get a "clone" of my one bow for a back up instead.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
This year I will be shooting a 52 pound at my draw Robertson right hand longbow and a 52 pound at my draw left hand Robertson for hunting season.  However, if I get healthy enough and my dislocated ribs heal up, it will be a right hand 57.5 pound bow of my own tillering and a 57.5 pound at my draw left hand Pete George yew. That is as close as I can get to shooting one bow, although I do envy those that shoot just one.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
I prefer to just shoot one. I'm kinda OCD like that, though. Too many choices and my brain doesn't like it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©