3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting animals that are looking at you.  (Read 1538 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting animals that are looking at you.
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I was curious to get some input on shooting deer, pigs, elk and other animals when they were looking at you.

I have always passed up shots on deer that were looking at me. I figured they would have no problem ducking the arrow and be gone. I let one good buck and a doe go just this last year in this situation on public land. The shots were very makable(5-15 yards)if the deer weren't looking at me. Maybe I should have taken the shot? By passing up those 2 shots I didn't release an arrow at ANY deer last year.

Anyway, I have shot at squirrels and groundhogs that were looking at me and they EASILY got out of the way of my arrow.

So here are the questions for those of you with experience shooting at large game animals that were looking at you or in your direction before you released the arrow...

1. Do you just aim lower since they are likely spookier?

2. Do you think it is a tough shot and should be passed up most of the time?

3. How did the animal actually react when you shot if they were looking at you? (I imagine they ducked and rolled left or right at the shot.)

4. Were you wearing plaid, camo or ghillied up?

5. How long did the deer look at you before you shot?

I probably missed a few questions, but look forward to your input. I usually only hunt public land and often a deer won't give me the perfect "looking away" shot. I am trying to decide from other hunter's real experience whether or not I should let an arrow go in this type of situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Charlie

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting animals that are looking at you.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I can't remember a time when I've shot a big game animal looking at me for the reasons you list above.

Another reason not to shoot when looking at you is they can see the movement of the bow and your follow-through.

I do remember a Groundhog when I was a teenager that was sitting up. I shot 2-3 arrows that would have drilled him in the chest. He dropped each time and the arrow flew harmlously by. He didn't drop straight down but dropped the right or left on his front legs (I can't remember which direction -- it was in the 70's).

After seeing this happen too many times I decided to shoot where he was dropping. I launched that arrow and son-of-a-gun if he didnt' just stay upright and my arrow passed to his side where he should have been. I think he could see the arrow coming.

I have also seen flying doves actually swivel their heads to watch arrows I've shot their direction.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I never shoot when they are looking- though I am curious on your story why you couldn't shoot when they finally did glance away. I just put tension of the string, and the moment they look away I am at full draw. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I never shoot when they are looking- though I am curious on your story why you couldn't shoot when they finally did glance away. I just put tension of the string, and the moment they look away I am at full draw. . .
KSdan. Your question is exactly the kind of thing that prompted this post and the info I am looking for from experienced bowhunters.

Would I have gotten away with shooting after they finally did look away? I figured the deer would still be too spooky to shoot at after looking at me even if they didn't leave.

I have only ever taken shots at deer that didn't know I was there. It severly limits my shots.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I read where Fred Bear said you couldn't hit a deer that was looking at you. I've never had any luck hitting an animal once they had their eyes on me. As soon as those limbs begin to move they are gone.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I don't shoot at critters that are looking at me (I.e., they actually see me even if they don't quite know what I am) or in my direction if they're close and likely to see me move.  They are very likely to jump the string, and it's impossible to predict which way they will turn.  A shot would most likely result in a bad hit.

That's hunting.  Don't always get the shot.  In fact, I let a lot more deer walk than I shoot, some because I don't want to shoot, but just as many because they don't give me a shot, and that includes looking at me when I would otherwise have a shot.

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I will not try to draw on an animal while they are looking at me. If they look at me while I am at full draw, the arrow is already gone.  Inside of 15 yards , with a good shot angle, you stand a great chance of making a good shot...I might add, if you are at full draw and you notice it looking at you, you're not concentrating on that spot you want to hit!..Don't shoot in that circumstance, you have lost concentration.  imho..

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I shot a doe at 8 yards last season that I was making eye contact with. It was a shoot or blow the group scenario so I figured I would try it and she didn't even flinch. Took the arrow and was down in 80 yards.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Also I was wearing a green plaid shirt in mid October. The deer hadn't seen me for very long but she didnt watch my full draw cycle. Just the last half.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
If you shoot at one down here that is looking at you it will definitely be on the move by the time the arrow gets there. No telling where you will hit it. I learned the hard way to never shoot at a critter that is looking at me or that acts really spooky.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I never realized, until I started videoing my hunts, just how many animals I shot that were looking at me.
They are looking away when I draw but I concentrate so hard on the little spot I intend to hit that I never noticed a lot of them are looking right up at me when I turn the arrow loose

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
The only animal I have shot while being eyeballed was a cow elk last year; but she was so close she decided to freeze. I shot her through the heart at 8 feet. I had good brush behind me and a little in front
and I could see her trying to figure me out.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Did you see the Bowhunter TV show today?  :knothead:    :banghead:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Alright, I wear camo but its not so much to blend in, although that is some what important, its because I like how the materials perform in the mtns. I also will slap on a little face paint because my skin sticks out like a homing beacon. I've taken quite a few shots at deer and one elk with them looking right at me. The bow was already raised so they didn't see that movement or I'm sure they'd be gone. But for some strange reason they can't seem to see my arm coming back to full draw. Because my bows are pretty quite, they just stand there as the arrow sales right thru em... unless I miss of course. As the arrow makes noise from bouncing off the brush on the other side of them, the noise spooks em and they run... or sometimes walk, off. Never once has one of them jumped the string!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Watch the videos of deer jumping the string and you will notice that the ones that are looking at the shooter have their bellies dang near on the ground when the arrow passes over them.  I can remember loosing arrows on three deer that were looking at me when I dropped the string.  Missed all of them by a mile.  

I have, however, killed several deer that had been looking at me moments before, but had decided I was just an ugly branch.  All of them were at close ranges.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Gotcha buckeye-  I watch their body language. . . and if they look away, particularly if they start to walk I usually am shooting.  And I have rarely, if ever, had a deer jump the string (at least to the naked eye) in the past 20 years.  I like it when they are slowly walking.

I do not want to overstate camo- but I really do think ASAT and older Predator make a BIG difference too.  IF they do look, they usually look "through" me.  

I had a decent buck this past season at 30 yds that caught me hanging my rattling horns back up. I froze, and as he began to walk cautiously paralleling me, I would slightly move my arm behind me grabbing my bow when he was not looking directly at me.  When he looked- I froze.  When he walked- I moved.  As he walked in to a possible shooting lane, I had to slowly crouch all the way down from standing to about my knees- I did that and drew all in a slow motion as he walked.  Shooting under limbs I laced him. . . photo shows the outcome!

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
And laced him well might I add.    :thumbsup:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
Geez Charlie, your so ugly I wouldn't worry about it!   :bigsmyl:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
I never shoot at an animal when it's looking in my direction.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
I've killed several that I had to draw and shoot while they were looking at me.

I take my first, best, shot and if a deer has made me out and I know it's getting ready to book, I'll draw on it in a steady, calm, movement and release in almost the same move.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©