3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting animals that are looking at you.  (Read 1540 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting animals that are looking at you.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by VTer:
Geez Charlie, your so ugly I wouldn't worry about it!    :smileystooges:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Can't remember ever shooting at a deer looking at me & hope I never have to (?). Shot at enough deer that jumped the string to realize I ALWAYS aim low at the heart & prefer quartering away which opens up the vitals. If/when they feint, duck, or fall my arrow finds lungs or liver. Prefer to wear darks & plaids but no camo for 35 years.

IMHO, you did good to pass the shot. Way to go hunter. There will be other chances. Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
I have not had good luck with deer on high alert or that have me pegged.  They are too quick, at least for my set up.  I've only missed low a few times, but high that's another story.  EX: Last season I had a doe come in and I mouth bleated to stop her. For some reason she really locked up and went into that high alert, waiting to explode mannerism.  Having missed a deer out of this very stand the year before I aimed at the lowest hair I could see on her body.  She tried to limbo and I caught her in the spine.  She was able to move probably 12 inches or so and I think she was only 10-12yds away. As the pics show if she got lower another 1-2 inches she was gone.  Joe  

"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
nope never!!!  I'll wait or pass!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
I try to avoid shooting at deer that are looking at me. They are so fast!! I have tried on small game but usually they dodge the arrow.  :archer2:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
if i got a animals in bow range and it is looking right at me and its either shoot or blow and mess up my hunt i try and draw and shoot if a shot is presented. sometimes they high tail it out of there and sometimes i get the shot off

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I have found that once you start your draw at a very close range, at some point the animal will or can see you but I have already been burning a eye into the kill zone an I just follow through.If you stop or let down your done!!!! this is the point of no return just follow throught.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I your realy close its not going to matter (realy close.).I beleave they can here and see the arrow coming at them.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
oops
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. If there are any more of you out there please feel free to post.

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
This goes against everything we have learned about deer reactions, but my experience with two of my last few bucks have me wondering.  

I have only drawn twice on bucks that were looking right at me, and both didn't move an inch until after the arrow hit.  I can't explain why.  A large eight point was at eight yards, and a big ten point was at seventeen yards.  Neither deer went over fifty yards after being hit.

We've all had deer that were looking right at us walk off without a chance at a shot at them.  With the results I've had, I won't hesitate to take the shot when they're looking at me.  

Obviously we don't want this scenario, but sometimes you just have to do what feels right at the time.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Problem is. . .  those critters have the ability to move.  Making the shot really iffy.  If it doesn't move, I will make a great shot.  If it does. . . .  then what ?
ChuckC

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
ChuckC,

Thanks for your reply. Those kinds of questions are why I have not taken shots many times.

I wanted input from hunters who have taken that shot to get some real results from what happened after they let the string go on that animal.

I figured most replies would tell me it went badly or don't take the shot. I really want to find out how it went for them. There is always the chance that someone out there is having this happen consistently and has figured some way around it. Maybe, a situation such as confusing the animal by wearing a ghillie. I know in some posts about ghillie suits, people have said they had an animal look right at them and still got a shot off. Just curious to get some more input.

-Charlie

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Depends on the game.  Whitetails looking at you...no shot.  Pigs looking at you...not a problem.
Most of the time when an animal has you pegged, I would wait and hope they look away....unless it's a pig, then let her rip.  They'll usually stand and take it.  Did I mention that I love to hunt pigs.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I do not shoot in that situation
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
http://buffsblackwidow.com/oldvideos/mason9pointM.wmv

I never knew he looked up.
I was staring at where I wanted to hit so hard I couldn't see his head

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I think it has as much to do with the animal state of alertness or how nervous he is when he comes in. If you are a sprinter in the blocks you will react much quicker than if you are relaxed. If an animal is already in the blocks so to speak and he is looking at me I will pass. But on the other hand if he is just looking in my direction and not acting nervous I might take the shot.

I think Buff's video also shows that the buck that was looking at him was reasonably relaxed at the shot. He still dropped but I've had them drop more than that looking away....
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
If you watch many hunting videos and see the slo motion shots, most of the deer shot are reacting and dropping, it just happens so fast you can't tell normally, especially when you aren't even watching for that.

On an earlier thread, we discussed the sound of an arrow in flight, and different ways to quiet the arrow.  

At least one person cited experience,   A friend shot an arrow nearby, to excite him, as he stalked by.  He said he heard it coming most of the way and it scared the hell out of him.

If HE could hear it. . . .
ChuckC

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Good points Chuck and coaster.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I don't.  In the case that it just happens to be looking at you/in your general direction but hasn't busted you yet, just hope it looks away and gives you a decent shot.  If not, oh well.  That's why it's hunting rather than shooting.  If it's already busted you, the jig is probably up, but maybe you can wait it out till it calms down.
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©