3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting animals that are looking at you.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting animals that are looking at you.
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
The only time I will draw when one is looking at me is if he's busted me. They think they see me all the time and decide not. However, if they catch me starting to draw..or whatever and it gets bug eyed..the jigs up.

If he wants to stand there and look at me while I shoot him, that's fine with me. If he bolts before I can draw and get on him..nothing lost.

I personally don't think they will bolt off from the sound of the shot any quicker if looking at you than they will if they don't know you are there and hear the twang...which no matter what anybody does to their string the deer will hear it.

The reason I say I don't think it matters is...when someone sneaks up behind you and pops a bag or scares you, do you react more or less if you had seen him first.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Every deer I have shot was looking at me when I released the arrow. Usually inside 20 yrds, its been my experince that they will hear or sense you drawing back. As long as the deer has not moved or jumped I will shoot.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Another reason I put this post up, is that I have only shot a few animals with my bow. I have been wondering if waiting for the "perfect" looking away shot is even realistic. I feel like I might have blown a number of chances from my lack of experience shooting big game animals with a bow. I only gun hunted before I started with trad some 6 years back. I always feel like I have to be completely undetected to get a good shot. That might not be realistic. That's also why I am counting on my Tradgang brethren to help me figure this part of the hunt out. This seems to be where everything falls apart for me.

I am very good at getting close to deer and finding them on public land. I have had many walk by me and I thought I would get busted drawing because they were so close. I have had deer directly under my stand and even just 1 yard away on the ground(other side of the tree trunk). I just need to close the deal when it gets this close and intense. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
You said you passed up shots at 5-15 yards. At 5 yards, I dont think it would matter a bit. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise. The only big game animal that has jumped at the shot for me was a bruiser hog last february. Must have seen my bow arm move on the release. He was around 25 yards away, broadside, feeding woth his head up. On the release he just flat out started running straight ahead.  Bizarre. I now am really conscious of my bow arm on release. Don't know if it matters.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I guess charging straight toward you is one way for an animal to "jump the string".

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Buff,
Great video. I just got to look at it. My other laptop wouldn't play it. Sure helps me with the moment of truth.

-Charlie

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
Buff,
Great video. I just got to look at it. My other laptop wouldn't play it. Sure helps me with the moment of truth.

-Charlie
Thanks

Have another passed him up the first afternoon because I didn't,t like the angle.
He came back down the pipe line the next morning
 http://buffsblackwidow.com/videos/riorojo8point.wmv

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Both those bucks were looking right at you when you released the arrow. From what I am seeing on your videos I have DEFINITELY wasted some good chances. They seemed to be looking, but not necessarily on "high alert". This is where I think I am making a mistake. I have let at least 10 deer go in situations that appear to be very similar to your videos. I think I might need to get a little more bold and go for it. Not if they are coiled to bug out, but looking and calm or unsure.

Big help and thanks again. Great Videos!  :notworthy:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Charlie as you know the perfect scenario rarely happens in the woods. My guess is that you are probably not capitalizing on some of your opportunities. A lot of times deer will see you. The question is are they alarmed by you?  Do they know what you are?  Reading body language is a big part of it.   But in my experience if a deer looks at you and then looks away he is fair game. He may have seen you but if he looks away he did not realize what you were and does not know he is in danger. I have shot many deer that have done this.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Jon,
By looking away do you mean straight ahead in their direction of travel? That has happened to me a ton of times.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Put your finger along the back of the deer that Buff shoots and see how far he drops at the release of the arrow.  Great shot Buff as you must have had to aim below the animal to hit that low with that amount of drop of the animal.
Excellent shot and video.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Yea that's what I mean. If I can see their eyes I wait till they are walking to draw. They don't catch movement as well when they are walking.   If I can't see their eyes I draw whether they are walking or not and regardless of whether or not they previously looked at me in the tree.  I have to admit though it hurts my feelings when I go to a lot of effort to hang a seemingly perfect stand only to have a deer look up at me!

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
In the hill country the deer are so spooky, I aim to shoot under the deer and play the drop.
Works every time.
They drop if they are alert or not

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by BUFF:
In the hill country the deer are so spooky, I aim to shoot under the deer and play the drop.
Works every time.
They drop if they are alert or not
X2

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Always enjoy your videos Buff.Compile them all and send me a copy. Be glad to pay.RC

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Our Southern deer aren't near big as Northern counterparts but faster! And Barney Fife nervous!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
I would never take a bow shot with a deer (especially a whitetail)looking at me. Too much can go wrong.

I always "play the eyes".....if I can see a deers eyes, they can see me.

I'm not afraid of missing opportunities, I don't try and estimate how much a spooked deer will drop....again, too much can go wrong.

Bowhunting is the most rewarding sport I have ever participated in. Wounding a deer, especially because I was "pushing it" ruins a perfect sport.

My opinion, your mileage may vary.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©