3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you transport your 1pc LONG longbows?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you transport your 1pc LONG longbows?
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

Tried a search but couldn't narrow anything down, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

For those of you who have one piece longbows 66" and over, how do you transport them safely. Just looking for new ideas.

I'm currently using a hard snow ski/fishing pole case and a case I made out of PVC and endcaps. These work great, but was wondering how else I can fit my bows inside the cab of my truck.

I have a two piece 70" Northern Mist Shelton on order and may change it to a one piece if I can find an easier way to get the bow in the cab of my truck.  The connexion t/d system is an awesome design and VERY easy to use, but I find it feels "wierd" and mildly takes away from the overall aesthetics of the american style longbow.

Anyway... Your thoughts are appreciated as always!!!

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you transport your 1pc LONG longbows?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
if going from my home to my hunting spot in my own vehicle...it gets put in front seat..one end on floor the other in passenger seat.  May have to lean the seat back but will fit...stick upper limb in first and then place lower into floorboard.

if flying or going long distances...i have a length of PVC tubing with caps..one glued and the other screws on with small hole drilled to let air equalize in pipe.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Had a lot of bows but now one piece only. Just too simple w/o worries. Transport in bowsocks stuffed in pvc tubes if I'm going any distance. My bows are all 68" & 70" ntn.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Can't beat PVC
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
They're not very handy when it come to traveling. I just use a bow sock and a PVC tube and throw it in the truck. Not too many options.

Eric

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Yes sir, bow socks and PVC tubes with foam in each end for me. If I'm alone, it goes in the cab of the truck like Brock said. Otherwise it's PVC and in the bed of the truck.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
4" PVC, padded cap on the bottom, and threaded plug on the other. I have thought about adding a cover & handle. Be sure to use a bow sock.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Bow sock and pvc

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
What they all said...
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Same as others have said for truck or plane.

However I sometimes travel to range, shoots ,or even hunt locations in the wives Toyota. (Yaris, very small)
When doing this I bungee the bow unstrung to the handles over the the inside of the doors. (back to front, usually on drivers side,where the clothes hanging hooks are on most vehicles) When doing this you can travel, get in and out of the car, and never know the bows are there. Had 3 adults and 1 child in car on last trip. With three bows in this location we traveled 240 miles 1 way and nobody even took notice to the bows being in the car.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Couldn't do that in the Tundra!
I put one end of my Northern Mist in the front right floorboard and the other between the front seats, over the console and into the back. If I did not have the access cab then it would have to stick out the back window!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Great question... for my bow I figured i needed 6"diameter tube for padding room. Looked at PHF tubes... wow, heavy! But I wanted it primarily for back of truck going to camp. I did find a fishingtrip pole tube,6", called the bazooka. Its awesome! Has handle, was light, comes in different diameters. Just couldn't talk myself into paying the $70. What I found and use in the back of my truck under my fiberglass bed cover is a 6"diameter × 6' long drainage pipe. Black plastic ribbed on outside, smooth on inside, made of two layers. Its super light. I was worried about vibration rubbing my bow.on long trips so I created a super bow.sock out of a queen sized green fleece blanket folded in half, my precious cascade rolled into the center of 6" of padding! Lol this slips firmly into my tube. The tube is tied to the truck bed corner tie off loops front and back. My gear for hunting camp packs around or overthe whatever! No fear of my treestand orshifting gear shifting and rubbing or hitting my long bow. :) makes my brother laugh... he uses a bow.sock :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Pvc and sock. I have a padded camper kit in my Toyo and forlocal jaunts she lays on the carpet back there.  Forcamping, always in the tube.  I never propher upin the cab
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
For just a car trip  I wrap it in an old wool army blanket with some bootlace ties (or Velcro) to hold it together. Add a canvas strap to sling it over your shoulder.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I use a zippered case for a strung longbow when not going to far.
Works good.

John

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
A friend of mine ordered some fishing rods from cabelas and they were shipped in a thick walled (probably 1/4 inch) cardboard tube with removeable end caps I use this tube inside of a sock any time I take the longbow but I haven't flown with it yet, I have no complaints so far.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
For truck travel just a bow sock to "maximize" the ability to stick the length of bow at an angle with one end on passenger floor board and the other to the corner behind your head. No need for a PVC or heavy protection. Most you are going to do is be drinking a cup of coffee on the way to hunting spot. If you roll your truck on the way I am sure you will break more than your bow.   I built a wood frame platform that goes between my wheel wells that is 6" tall. It has 3 slots because I needed to load other stuff on top so two center rails and 2 side rails(open at ends). You can use weather proof materials to cover if you do not have camper shell. When you put tail gate up it secures/protects stuff in platform compartment and you can still can load stuff in bed.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Locally just in a bow sock, taking a trip in a PVC tube!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
I use a Plano Airliner fishing rod case. It is HD, about 6" in diameter and is adjustable for length. You can carry several bows, or a bow and arrow tube. Works great for me.
Chuck

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I have traveled the past two years and used a bow sock with PVC.  I will add one thing, going through the airlines they will charge you $50 because it is considered a sporting item as in fishing poles or skis.  I ended up sending it through the post office a week before with insurance and it was $28, you cant beat that price along with knowing it wont get slammed around by the airlines as bad.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©