3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help with Lower Limb on Recurve  (Read 146 times)

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help with Lower Limb on Recurve
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Guys, I need your help. The lower limb on my Marriah Thermal recurve has a spot where it is changing color. From the side it looks like a layer of glass is the problem. The bow dates back into the late 90's and has been a fanastic shooter and has been my favorite bow. I have tried to communicate with the bowyer Ric Anderson, but my e-mails are returned as undeliverable. I do not have his telephone number so contact that way is not possible at this time. Can anyone here help me find a source of communication with Ric?  I want to get the limb repaired if possible. If I have the limb repaired I would also like to have both limbs backed with black glass rather than the clear glass. Any assistance you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help with Lower Limb on Recurve
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Heres all I can find...

Address: P O Box 1753 Whitefish, Montana 59937
Tel: (406) 257 0590
Website - None provided

Good luck, I've heard good things about Marriah.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the response Ken. The address and telephone number are old. I believe he moved, but I don't know where. The Thermal recurve is a great bow and has been the bow I have always gone back to even after buying a new one here and there all of these years. I just hope it can be repaired. If not I have been looking at the Rainyday recurves should I have to have a replacement bow. I do appreciate your effort to provide assistance in contacting Ric.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Can't tell without a pic, but if there's a nick in the side of the limb where the discoloration starts, it's an indication that the finish has been broken and moisture is getting in between the wood and the glass.  If the affected area isn't large, sealing the dent with epoxy will likely stop it's progress.  If there's some visible separation between the glass and wood on the edge of the limb, you might be able to drizzle some epoxy into it. Might be able to hold it open with a pin or razor blade edge while the epoxy soaks in.  Then clamp it gently and sand and varnish after it dries.  

If the spot is on the middle of the limb, not touching either edge, it indicates a glue starvation when the limbs were constructed. Not much you can do about that. Many bows with such defects last a long time before coming apart, but eventually the area does enlarge and the limb fails.

There's no way to replace the glass on the limbs. Could glue a thin layer of black glass over the clear glass, but that would change the weight substantially.  Better to have a different set of limbs made.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
Thanks Orion. It seems to be a glass problem from what I can tell. I'm just not certain that Ric is still making bows and the wait on a new set of limbs is longer than I really want to do. Like I said I like the Rainyday bows and may look more into that or maybe look at the Stalker recurve and see if that would meet my needs.
Thanks for the information and your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Offline Mike B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »
Mike at Maddog archery could build you a set of limbs for your bow.He is a sponsor here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©