3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beaver bow and arrows dilemma  (Read 299 times)

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Beaver bow and arrows dilemma
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Heres my dilemma. May not be the right spot for this post.

I have a serious beaver problem.
I am trying to figure out a bow and arrow setup that I can shoot the lil buggers while they swim.
My problem is losing arrows if the pass through. The other problem is losing the beaver if it dives and disappears in the murky pond water. Talking to my local archery shop they say a regular bow fishing rig is only good for up to five to ten yards.
I am trying to design something that'll shoot through them that has a high tensil string or wire attached that I can stake or hold from a distance. Giving the beaver no chance of diving or limping back to its den.  
This will  involve building a bow specifically for the task.  

Design time folks.
Hickory backed Ipe with a Zebrawood accent.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
Housel Osage stick (High country Elk stopper)
48"
55#
"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
-- Albert Einstein

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beaver bow and arrows dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
How about a .22 and a canoe so you can kill them dead and not just stick them like a carp.I dont like that idea for its lack of ethics, but I dont have beaver problems either.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
If you need to use a bow I'd suggest something in the 60# range with a bowfishing rig with a spin cast reel and 200 pound fast flight line. The heavy fiberglass arrow with a broadhead on the business end. I have no trouble shooting up to 15 plus yards up to 20for a max.

I agree with Pearl. Rifle would be best.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
The problem I have is retrieval and arrow loss  Shooting is the easy part.
They have too much of a chance to dive or limp off into a hole or den. I don't have traps.

I'm looking for a bow and arrow design that may be tethered so I can keep the arrow and pull the lil bugger to shore.

Granted every shot I make leaves me one less beaver killing the creek.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
You can shoot pretty far with a good bowfishing setup.  Look at the alligator setups from Muzzy.  I can get dang close to a beaver in my canoe.  Just act like a log and drift to them.

Having a pissed off beaver at the end of a strong line sounds fun though.  That might redefine your "I have a serious beaver problem" statement  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Ok 60lbs with a fishing rig
. I like it.
Should I put a stopper on it so I can pull him in once he's done?
Anyone have a design for this set up ?
Should I go with a nice take down r/d designed to hold the reel?  

I have a feeling this beaver battle is endless so I'll need to build this to last.
. Past my property is open space and they do not want to fix the beaver problem.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Ok it looks like the answer is a gator rig.
Now I need to make some 55# limbs for a Samick sage riser.
Anyone have plans for a good t/d limb press?  
Heading out to the barn to build a hot box then start the press.
Hot box plan is to build one that is 80" ( in case I decide to build longbows.) but it will have a split in the middle so I can cut it in half and do limbs and risers. The design is still floating in my head.
I should draw it out.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Not sure its legal Joe,You might want to do some looking at the state regs before you do. Colorado has some funky regs when it comes to certain critters.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I am confuzzed. Why doesnt it sound Legal? Archers nail Beavers all the time? Just Askin'....
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Well for one the season on beavers is closed, But he should be able to shoot them during the regular season with bow and arrow with broad heads but Im not sure it's legal to do it with some kind of fishing rig. Not sure, I was just going to check for him so nobody gets in trouble thinking they can do it.

Just trying to help a fellow bow hunter!     :dunno:    I guess I said it wrong. Sorry for the mid understanding.  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Beaver in many states are classified as fur bearers and in many states can only be trapped, not shot.  If your goal is to actually address a beaver problem why use a bow?  If you check with your local Fish and Game they may give you (or do it for you)a live trap so they can be relocated to a drainage that could benefit from them.  Live trapping the little  buggers is kind of entertaining.

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Colorado Dow allows land owners to do what they want to protect the property. They said I can trap or shoot them to mitigate the damage they do.

They have become quite a problem on the whole creek. Luckily I get to control about a quarter mile stretch and if I really wanted I could help the neighbors out also.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Why not a rifle? Why do you need to stick them with a fish pint and watch them swim around? Thats the part you lost me on. If I had a serious beaver problem as you say you do, fun would be the last thing on my mind. Kill them quickly as they deserve. They arent pests in their world, they are just living life. Take them out in hurry if getting rid of them is your concern.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
I agree on the live trapping and moving them to another location. I like shooting animals just as much as the rest of you guys but live trapping is a whole different kind of entertainment, lots of fun.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
.22 longrifle...I'm not sure I'd want to pull in a wounded beaver on a string... :^)

Shot a few...they are a pretty sturdy critter...

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
look up an old thread about shooting beaver with arrows. Having trapped beaver in the past I would re-think this operation.They are big solid critters and will not lay down when poked. I think arrows and strings and hide may get worked over pretty hard. You may loose your equipment and beaver.Skins are not prime now besides. I would use a trap or a .22
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Just because you can legaly does not make it right to do it. Use a Conibear trap or a rifle.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Relocation is just putting the problem in someone else's lap.
Just a few years ago the creek was comepletley free of beavers, now there is not more than 100 yards between beaver dams running the entire property. I am mitigating the  problem because I have  to protecting the trees and the bridges near the creek.

22 works ok. have had a few dive even after a right between the eyes shot. My problem is not losing them when when I shoot. I feel I should still harvest what I can from them.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Not suggesting a reloctaion, but a proper foothold,conibear,drowning set.(be careful,you may find a new "hobby". Trapping is very addictive.) Wish I was closer,I would love to help out.

As I said,this time of year the fur is not that good and the meat,well, maybe you will like it.
Traps hunt 24hrs a day.

Good luck Joe,I am sure you will find the way that suits you and your unique situation.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Colorado Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Would love to try foot traps but I believe they are not legal  here. Secondly I do have dogs on property and they love the water too much.

Not really going for the meat just hides and tail. The furs not to bad just dried and used as rawhide. This fall ill be going after as many as possible for the furs. I'll use the hind quarters to fill my fox and cat traps as well. And also dry the glands to make some lure scents.
70" ntn
40#
Samick Sage
40#
48"
55#
-- Albert Einstein

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©