3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where is your head at when....  (Read 337 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Where is your head at when....
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I am curious about what is going through your head when you have an animal you intend to try and shoot close by.  You know those moments when you've seen the animal and you're just waiting for your shot opportunity.  Maybe it's about to step into a shooting window or you seem them coming from a ways off.  I'm trying to learn to slow myself down.  I feel like my biggest problem right now is rushing the shot, not waiting for the right shot, or not letting down when the shot has changed.  I would equate it to any other sport I might play, practice and playing in the game are two totally different things.  I get sped up when I'm hunting and don't end up doing what I practice over and over again.  I would love to be able to say I just go out there and it happens but I'm needing to work to put myself in a better mental place at this point.  I'd love to hear your thoughts, feedback, suggestions, or just conversation about the topic.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where is your head at when....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
man i enjoy every second of the rush. i embrace it. thats what hunting is about. i take the first shot opportunity i get. too many times i have passed up a shot wanting to get a better one and the animal never cooperates. all i think about is where to aim. finding that spot. If im really confident in my shooting nothing else gets in the way...

i dont know if u are a ground hunter or a stand hunter but i do both.. praticeing out of a stand makes all the diffrence in the world to me... really builds my confidence..

i have known people that  will literally  syke themselves out when a deer comes their way. start playing out diffrent scenarios. and they have missed before they even shoot. I pretend  IM THE BADDEST MO FO IN THE WOODS with that stick bow in my hand and any animal that steps into my DEATH ZONE IS going to get shot!!! lol.. thats what i do

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I'm kind of the same as rth above. Once I see an animal that I want to shoot I just concentrate on "the spot" and wait for the right opportunity. I am VERY picky about when I will shoot and what shots I will take. Once I actually decide everything is just right, the shot just happens. I can pick apart my shots and tell you most of the time what I do wrong when practicing. But, when I am hunting, I am so fully concentrated on the spot that when I decide to shoot it just happens and I cannot tell you much of anything about the mechanics of the shot. Also, like stated above, when I take a shot on a critter I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE I am going to make a great shot! It does not always happen that way and I mess things up now and then but as I take the shot I know in my head it is going to be a perfect shot.

I get a a little nervous and my heart rate goes up when I see critters but when I decide to shoot that all goes away (I'm sure it is still there but I cannot feel any of it). AFTER I shoot something is when I go to pieces with nerves.

Also, I don't know how new you are to hunting but there is nothing better than getting a few criters under your belt to help ease the nerves and get you on the right path to figuring this out.

Good luck with it,

Bisch

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Last year I killed my 1st ever archery deer with one of my Centaurs. I composed myself,found that crease behing his front shoulder,and had a good shot. 2 weeks later,a BIG MICHIGAN 10 POINT came through the woods 17 yards from me at 5pm. I could not compose myself,and wound up getting busted by that deer! Hopefully,this year a little more experience may help. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
I try not to think, just put myself in auto and let it happen.  Hopefully, all the practice will help.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've started practicing different.  I've been so focused on form that that's what I am used to thinking about and then a hunting situation feels foreign.  I've started taking some form shots and then getting out further and only worrying about the spot and trying to hit it.  I feel like I'm going to just zone in on the spot when I'm in the field and trust everything else will take care of itself.  Looking forward to my next opportunity.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I forgot to add this: If you are ever sitting there looking at a critter and wondering if you will make a good shot - DON'T SHOOT!!!!! You have already messed that one up in your head and the result will probably not be good.

I have passed on shots at 10yds because something did not "feel right" and taken a few shots well over 20yds because everything did feel just right.

Bisch

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
thats it!! theres where your head is... on your form instead of THE SPOT to shoot at! you loose focus if you think about your form.. while you are drawing if you think did i hit my anchor...? is my arm strait?? elbow up?? is the deer broadside?? keep bow arm up after the shot! your going to miss!

only think... wheres my spot... wheres my spot.... THERES MY SPOT!!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by rolltidehunter:

only think... wheres my spot... wheres my spot.... THERES MY SPOT!!
and stay focused on the spot!    :)
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Always do a "stand" pre-shot walk through before any animal opps to make sure no obstructions. Otherwise, it's crosshairs on the spot. Rolltidehunter smacked this one!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
The one thing that I can think of that I do is say over and over and over "back tension, back tension, back tension" until the shot is gone.  IMO it is so easy to blow a shot by not coming to full draw or collapsing, etc. that the "back tension" mantra works great - for ME.  It may not work for you or anyone else.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
MAN>>>>If u will put out 100 lbs of corn under your stand you will get so many shots that you wont have to worry about missin!! lol im just kidding! trying to get a laugh today

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
They say that if you picture the deer naked it will calm your nerves. Maybe that was for public speaking but try it, might work on deer too.   :knothead:

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
hahahaha izzy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Made me laugh Izz! Bet that would work too.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
LOL, I don't mind picturing the deer naked but those hogs are another story:)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Izzy -

That put a smile on my face.    :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm usually thinking ok, here goes wait for the right shot....

But with Long Island whitetails, since they are hunted so much and so smart I'm like cmon cmon cmon give me a shot since i know more often than not I'm going to get busted since they walk through the woods looking through the trees and the trees on long island usually are oaks about 10" thick. So you stick out like a sore thumb.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
During my 2nd or 3rd year of bowhunting 40+ years ago, I got so bent out of shape on one hunt that I missed three deer (all of em) that morning.   I found to control buck fever that I needed to leave something to do right before the shot to take my mind off the animal a bit. That something was often positioning my tab on the bow string.

I still get excited but not uncontrollably like in those early days. Now when I see a deer coming I replay the scenarios I've been daydreaming about regarding what shooting lanes the deer is likely to come through, when my last good shot opportunity will be, and making sure I have limb and clothing clearance for the impending shot.

Visualization is very helpful to me. Once I think I know where the shot will take place (which shooting lane) I play back in my mind the successful shots I've made at that range and angle either from this stand or on my home ranges.  For example, if the shot is going to be 7 yards it is a "pool table shot". If it is just under 15 yards it's from the basement range. If the shot is 15-20 this is just like off my deck.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I am just like the cartoon character that has a devil on one shoulder telling him to do something bad while the angel on the other shoulder tells him not to do it. But in my case one is saying, "shoot, shoot quick before it runs away" and the other voice saying, "Slow down , take your time, pick a spot".

On the last  shot opportunity I had, I slowed down (perhaps a bit too long), and sure enough, she spooked and ran away.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©