3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what shot messes with your head  (Read 642 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
what shot messes with your head
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
like shooting uphill,shooting in small windows between tree's, rocks behind target ,downhill, etc

mine is threading the arrow between tree's and if theres a lake behind the target discovered the lake thing yesterday at a 3d course
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what shot messes with your head
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Don't care where it is, don't care when it is....but every time I shoot at a standing bear on a 3-D course something goes haywire   :dunno:   ....lol! It does seem that the tougher the shot the better I do......most times!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Bullseye targets. Wierded out with those too many cmpd years ago. Haven't shot them since. Can. Don't want to. Make my head buzz.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Bedded buck is my target nemisis ! don't know why that target gets me everytime! Shoot it low almost everytime

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Standing bear weirds me out too. Every time I shoot I think "nailed it!" and then when I go to check my shot it's completely off the vitals.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Turkeys!!

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Any target that presents itself as a diagonal image.  Good example would be a coyote sitting howling.   Something about not having the target "square with the world" that my head doesn't like.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
For me there are two:

- when theres a gully, of wich i cant see the bottom, between me and the target or

- when the target is standing inside a gully or behind a slope so that i cant see it completely and therefore cant judge the height.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Shooting over limbs or something in front of the target.  Seem to always hit high.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Too many shots of bourbon are my nemesis.  It always messes with my head.
ChuckC

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Shooting up in trees for squirrels or grouse seem to mess me up - I'm so concerned with losing an arrow that I talk myself into missing.  On 3D courses the one target that I have the most trouble with is the Antelope behind the board fence up on top of the hill - Most of the holes in the fence are mine   :rolleyes:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Shooting a "Five-spot" bulls eye target...I use them to practice that "one-shot/first-shot that counts" mentality. At the same distance I can hammer a single spot bull consistently but when I move to the five individuals to practice the above I seem to throw it all out the window.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
X2 Turkeys
Ken Thornhill

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I don't have any. Without wanting to sound clever, I'm 100% convinced I'm going to 12-ring every single target when I get up to it.
If archery is 90% mental, why talk yourself out of a shot before you've taken it?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
X3 on turkeys. However, the live ones have been coming easier that past few years...have to get them close.

I actually like shooting thru holes in brush, past trees, etc. Somehow the structure gives me better visual/depth perception. Wide open shots are my least favorite unless they are very close.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Mine would have to be the five spot target also. I tend to find a "nemisis" target at most 3D shoot where I shoot multiple rounds but it is never the same. For whatever reason on that day any particular target can give me fits and there seems to not be a common thread to tie them together from shoot to shoot.

Bisch

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Standing bear, any turkey target, having to shoot over something close to the target while shooting down hill, at fairly close range.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Shooting from a treestand.  I've overshot several Blacktail bucks and bull elk that I could have spit on!

Open sage country. Missed several BIG mule bucks that I thought were closer then they actually were. I'm used to hunting in thick dark timber where my depth perception is good and the deer are smaller. When I get in the wide open and the deer are bigger bodies...messes me up!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
For me it's from a tree stand at something below me.  Something about shooting down like that I always shoot high.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
All of 'em.   :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©