3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel bear hunt  (Read 570 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wensel bear hunt
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
As most of you know I had a "mild" heart attack on May 17th. So far so good. My prognosis is good but I'm still in the initial stages of treatment which include FIFTEEN different daily medications; three inhalers; one daily injection, as well as seven additional vitamins. This is tearing me up as I have a bear hunt scheduled to leave this weekend. My "team" of doctors, friends and my family are saying I'm stupid, irresponsible, irrational, selfish and unrealistic... but I really want to go. Frankly, I honestly think I could pull this off physically as I feel pretty well right now. My only symptoms are a chronic, dry cough supposedly caused from one of the meds. They've changed that combo but said the cough might take "a week or two" to get out of my system. Point being, a chronic cough won't go over well on a bear stand. Deep down inside I know I should postpone my hunt until next year. For those not familiar with Tom Phillips Bear Quest camp there are years of positive feedback on this hunt in the TG archives. This would have been six years in a row there for me. I usually pass up between ten and thirty different bears (under ten yards )per week on this hunt. I realize this is extremely short notice but if anyone would like to take my slot on Hunt #1 which is June 9 thru 16th (this weekend) we'll forfeit my $350. deposit from the hunt. With Father's Day approaching on June 17th I thought maybe someone might want to get Dad a gift he'll remember for the rest of his life. Tom can answer any questions and can be contacted at [email protected]. Not only is this a great hunt, in a great camp with a bunch of outstanding, experienced traditional bowhunters but it's at a discounted rate for an experience you'll cherish the rest of your life. Thanks again to all those who have contacted me in the last few weeks with thoughts and prayers. To all my friends and family who thought I was a stupid, irresponsible, selfish, irrational idiot... I hope you're now happy. Thank you. BW aka UB

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel bear hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks Barry for the update. Continue to follow the Doctors order and take well care of your self. It won't be long before you will be in the November woods.

Tony

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Wise choice, AND magnanimous jesture.   :clapper:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I can feel your pain Barry.  That sure has to hurt worse than the stupid heart attack.  But no doubt you are doing the right thing.  Medical services are pretty slim in the bush.  You might even be out of Tippit's league if you did need treatment up there.  
Lord willing, there are plenty of years ahead of you, and if I know you, you will do your absolute best to make up for the loss of this bear season.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Your doing the right thing ,.....as hard as it is. Someone will jump at the chance to take your spot on this great hunt!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
You made the right choice, get better
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Tough decision but for sure in this way you insure yourself many future hunts.  :thumbsup:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Picture this.......Doc Jeff leaning over you with one of those famous blades in his right hand.  "Hold still Barry....this won't hurt a bit....this blade is VERY sharp".

Probably a wise decision.  Tom will make sure there's plenty of bears left for next year!  Save your strength for November in Iowa.....and think good thoughts....like Gene dragging one of those Iowa pigs out of the woods for you.

If you come to Denton next month, I'll save one of those moose hotsticks for you.....they'll cure anything!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
To everyone that thought you were a stupid, irresponsible, selfish, irrational idiot, what was their point?
As you've decided it's probably for the better, but good on you for bagging it up because the coughing would ruin the hunt and not for any other reason...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Could have just said you are a hunting addict and they would have had to say "Duh". Doing the right thing, it will come back to you.   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Better safe than sorry Barry.Take care of yourself and make the trip next year.You made the right decision in not going.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Probably a wise decision  :thumbsup:  but one you'll always wonder about  :pray:

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
You'll be back next year.  I wouldn't worry  much about Jeff cutting on me but Bowdoc would probably be his nurse.  Now that should scare you.

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Besides, if something did happen to you in the woods, when we got you to a doctor, the doctor would tell us, "He could have made it, if you wouldn't have gut him out."

All kidding aside, we will miss you Barry. Work on getting well.

Keith Kemkes

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Better to wait and give a bear a heart attack next season than to have another yourself. Get well and then get back after them!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Chronic cough? Sounds like lisinopril. Did that to my wife also, one of the side effects for about 60% of the people put on it. You are doing the right thing Barry, heal up first.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Giving up one year so you can be sure to enjoy many more is the right thing. Ya got me with the " Wensel bear " title. God speed in your recovery uncle Barry
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
:help:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:   Take care Barry   :clapper:

Online birddog75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Apparently Gene is the tougher twin.  Wish you a speedy recovery Barry.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
If anyone is interested in spot let me know ASAP.
  You can call me at 973-224-5674

Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©