3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BigJim asks, "What would you do?"  (Read 1772 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BigJim asks, "What would you do?"
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Bill Sant

Jim, As soon as he altered, sanded, played with the fit of any of the components, it is HIS.  
Yep--I agree.  That's standard with pretty much anything you buy.

Chad

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Sant:
Jim,  As soon as he altered, sanded, played with the fit of any of the components, it is HIS.  If it didn't fit like you sent it to him he might have a point, but in dealing with you as I have in the past, I'm sure he wouldn't have been dissatisfied with the final outcome.  He screwed up when he took the sanding block to them.  Good luck with the outcome, but your reputation as a solid guy to deal with is secure in my mind.
I agree - once he took the sander to the limbs he owned it!!!!!  If it wasn't right when he got it he should have sent it back right then.  

These situations are tough...suppose you were to send the sanded set back to him and tell him since he sanded them he bought them...YOUR name NOT HIS would be drug through the mud from him blabbing to everyone how your screwed him over...his lack of honesty and good business would somehow be brushed under the rug.   "[dntthnk]"  

Despite that...I believe your reputation will stand on its own...I would send the limbs back and tell him tough crap...you should have never sanded on them!...Period!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I say it's His! But as others have said follow your gut feeling. Sorry you have to deal with it at all. On a lighter note I wonder if he'd been so quick to call you a liar in person while looking up at you?  :saywhat:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I wold agree with most.  If he felt the limbs did not fit to his liking he should have boxed them back up and sent them back with the expectation of his bow and check back.  But sanding the limbs to make them fit to his concept of proper fit ruined the limbs.  His bad, his loss, his lesson.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Jim I just got off the phone with your customers double (in my place of work)....  all I can say my friend is there are those in the world that are a half a bubble or better off plumb. They are just not honorable people. There ain't no fixin it, they are what they are. I feel for you Jim.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim, As soon as he altered, sanded, played with the fit of any of the components, it is HIS. If it didn't fit like you sent it to him he might have a point, but in dealing with you as I have in the past, I'm sure he wouldn't have been dissatisfied with the final outcome. He screwed up when he took the sanding block to them. Good luck with the outcome, but your reputation as a solid guy to deal with is secure in my mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X4
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Whatever you do BigJim it'll be the right thing.

I think it says alot about Bear and how much they think of YOU!

I agree with "go with your gut."
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
It sounds like you've been done dirty to me, Jim.  But the "contract" will determine the rules of play.  If there are "no refunds" on altered merchandise -- and most people understand that if you break/modify it, you buy it -- then you have no obligation to eat the loss.  There may be a bit of a difference between what is clearly the fair and equitable thing to do, and what is "enforceable" per the contract.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Take a belt sander to his bow & mail it back to him. See how he likes it!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
What Chuck and Bill said!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I am with everyone else.

I say he sends a payment for the limbs. You hold the bow and do not cash his other check (he probably cancelled it anyway). Once you get payment for the limbs and it clears, ship him back his bow, his check and his limbs (that he modified).

Then put him on your list of guys not to do business with.

That is just my opinion.

Until the deal was done, why anyone would modify the limbs is beyond me. Once he owns it and the deal is done he can burn the limbs if he wants but not before.

There are two sides to every story so I am basing my opinion on your side only.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
It also makes me feel good about Bear Archery as a company, if nothing else. Nice going Bear, good job.

One day I have to get another takedown.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by coaster500:

quote:
Jim, As soon as he altered, sanded, played with the fit of any of the components, it is HIS. If it didn't fit like you sent it to him he might have a point, but in dealing with you as I have in the past, I'm sure he wouldn't have been dissatisfied with the final outcome. He screwed up when he took the sanding block to them. Good luck with the outcome, but your reputation as a solid guy to deal with is secure in my mind.

X4
X5
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Jim, I would have done exacactly what you have done. Thjats the right thing and sometimes it hurts. Its one of those un-seen costs of doing business in a day and time where folks are sometimes a bit more dis honest and dis honerable than in times past.
You can look in the mirror and know you are right and thats what counts Bro.

Like some others have said , whatever you did I believe that with your reputation and work ethic that it would have been the right thing and that this guy that is doing this to you is more than a bit less than honest.

I hope he reads this and perhaps sees how the perception is most favorable to you and less than favorable to him.;

I deeply admire what Bear offered but do not feel that it is their responsibility. The deal was between you and him and that is how it should stay.
 Sometimes its just a good thing to get one of these kind of deals behind you and forget it. Remember the name though and if you ever see him buying a bow from me please let me know. LOL

God bless you , Steve

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Sounds like a bonehead.  They are out there.  Dealt with a few of them myself.

He shouldn't expect you to take the limbs back after he modified them.  He should have sent them back before he did that.

If he doesn't want to pay for the limbs that he modified, then just modify his bow and send it back along with his check and call it even.   :)

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Big Jim, those of us that have done business w/ you know better, nobody's going to run your name down!  :nono:

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
Oh, man - I like the way you think!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
When dealing with the public, there has to be an idiot or two that turns up. Sounds like he is yours. He screwed up the limbs, and now you are somehow the bad guy in his feeble mind. Those of us who have dealt with you in the past know that you are a straight up guy, so even if he tried to bad mouth you on this site he would not be well received. Do whatever your judgement tells you to do in this case, but keep putting out the great work and the great service that we have come to know from you, and this little scenario will soon be history.
He had better be glad that it wasn't me he was dealing with; I probably would have included "and the horse you rode in on" in my response to him.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
There's the response I was looking for!!! I am with Rob on this one!

Jim, I have never done business with you (Well I bought a book from you at the Hill shoot this past weekend) but I have read and heard enough about you to know that you trusted this jerk to do the right thing and you got burned! I am also pretty sure that if the same scenario came around in a few weeks you would probably take someone at his word all over again because that is just how so many of us in the Trad community are. You also did not let Bear eat the cost because of your character. Don't let the jerk change who you are or cause you to change your values or moral compass. And if you would like anyone to go with you to hand deliver his bow back to him I am sure you can find a few of us to tag along with you for "Moral Support"!   :bigsmyl:

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
I agree with everyone else,he should have sent them back before he modified them,although I really like Rob's idea.LOL  :knothead:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I'd imagine that crossed a few minds--it has mine in similar situations--but if you give it a little thought you'll realize that going down to his level won't solve the problem, could likely just cause more problems, and it wouldn't be the honorable thing to do.

He bought the bow, he screwed it up, it's his.  Great to know that Bear will stand behind their products to that degree--sure makes me take another look--but no sense in throwing gas on the fire.  In my opinion of course.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©