3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's guilty?  (Read 393 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's guilty?
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
How many of us are guilty of over thinking our shot?
Ive been struggling some here lately with my consistency, so,  as ive always done before, i started picking my form apart, bow arm, hold, anchor, grip, release, ETC. Well tonite after much frustration, I just said to my self, just pick a spot and shoot the damn target! Well it worked!, seems ive been shooting the bow and not the target. Ive been so consumed with my form, that shooting the target was second to shooting bow. Good form is invaluable, but it aint squat if you dont pour your heart and soul into picking a spot!   :banghead:

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's guilty?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Been there!
>>>------John------>

Offline Tron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Only every day... Still fighting it too!
"It's repetition of affirmations that leads to belief, and once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen." - Ali

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Yep me too.  I shoot much better when I kind of let my memory take over for my form and concentrate on the spot. BUT, I do believe you must first develop good form before you can do this.  I will occasionally ( or more) start drifting away from good form and will have to check myself and reboot, but will then go back to shooting at the spot.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Yup... me too.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
I'm in this club too.

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT - KILL IT!!!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
im there now!!!!!!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Thinking can put negative thoughts in your head. Once that happens, every part of your shot suffers.
Look, estimate the yardage, focus on the vitals and shoot. DON'T THINK.    :archer2:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
If I think about the place I want to hit at full draw anyone behind me is in danger of getting hit. LOL.....but if I pick out my spot through my draw cycle, then I might just hit somewhere in it's vicinity.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Same here at times.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
What Joe Skipp said. I used too beat myself up, cause I wasnt shooting the "correct" way, but i learned, if it aint broke...dont fix it! pick a spot, burn a hole in it, & let'er fly!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Yep.  It has become more apparent to me as I work back from a shoulder issue.  I rolled my left shoulder which helped with forearm clearance and helped favor the other shoulder blade that had been injured years ago.  As I try to relearn a lower shoulder position I constantly have to think about my alignment and my consistancy goes haywire.  I need to do a lot of blind bale work, but I m trying to shoot only a limited # of arrows per week.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
In the same boat.

Just went to a 3D shoot. Didn't score to well cause, I beleive, I over thought each shot. At the end they had a novelty shot. A tennis ball on a string. I honestly didn't think I would hit it so I just sent the arrows out there...pegged it on the second shot.

Things that make you say hmmmmm.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Try imagining a set of crosshairs "+" on the spot. Line up the v&h & just turn it loose. Worked for me.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I do believe that Archery is 90% mental....
    When you go out to shoot,Think to yourself that your the best shot their is....
    Keep negativity at home....If you do need to work on your form, work on one thing at a time....Dont over load yourself....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Im backwards. I can never remember shooting.Bugs me.RC

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I always try to do what  Dean  Torges said in Masters of The Barebow, " I try to approach the way i shoot the bow,they way I hold the bow, the way I grab my arrows, is relaxation"

That to me is 100%true for me, the only problem is that I get "buck" fever ALOT, it's so exciting to have an animal in front of me, although I go into "auto pilot", so do me knees!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Everybody does it sometime or another,me included
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm coaching a bunch of really young skeet shooters. We break it into technique practice and fun shooting. They have to go through the step-by-step process at each station; proper position, pick the break point, swing back to their hold point and then put a "soft focus" on where the bird will appear. We go through the swing and follow through and they may shoot five or more shots at the same bird. The more advanced guys, I'll tell them where I want them to break the bird. Then, it's enough tedious stuff and I tell them to just shoot a round for fun.

If we start out just shooting round after round,  their scores start going down because the individual skills haven't become automatic yet.  Once the basics are "burned in", it just sort of flows naturally. If they get into trouble, we take one station and just hammer on the basics for a few shots until they have it back again.

Think there may be a lot of similarities.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Guilty as charged
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”