3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ben Pearson, John Schulz, Dan Quillian  (Read 431 times)

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
Ben Pearson, John Schulz, Dan Quillian
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I've been doing some research lately on the masters of the sport (mostly the old but some new too), trying to find out things like their shooting forms, favorite equipment ect.

Well I've found a lot on Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Byron Ferguson and Ron LaClair; but almost nothing on Ben Pearson (I found a lot about the company but next to nothing about the man), John Schulz or Dan Quillian

So I was curious does anyone here have any info on these three? I want to know things like what

What length bow did they shoot?
Did they do any personal modifications to their bows?
What were their preferred poundages?
How did they grip their bows?
Were there any "Weird" things about their form?

Videos and pictures of them shooting would also be much appreciated
  :archer2:

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ben Pearson, John Schulz, Dan Quillian
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I can chime in a little about Dan "the man"

Dan shot a lot of different bows he designed and had Owen Jeffery or martin to build. I believe his favorite in his last decade of hunting was a 80# 68"Longhunter Longbow.. I want to say it was Red Elm cores maybe not or bamboo.  Dan shot a secondary vision/instinctive. I know this because he gave the best shooting I advice ever got.. Come to think of it, i use it as my signature line in this forum........Short story here....I was struggling in early 90's of shooting my first traditional bow.. I was trying to profect the "burning the hole" method and i will leave it at that.. One day i was in Dan's shop shooting different shop bows and he pulled up a chair and watched me spray arrows......he just sat there and grinned.. i asked " Dan, give me a tip please. this is aggravating"  He said " Ok, if your arrow is not pointing to the bullseye, it will not hit there".........BAM  light bulb went off... I asked, " so i should look at my arrow linement?"  He said " yes, if it is not pointing at bullseye, move it!!!!!!!!"  in his gruff voice.. Then i started adjusting my windage with my secondary vision. It all came together.....How big an Impact did it make?.......I won the Howard Hill World Chanpionship and Southeastern three months later...

Dan shot split finger with a deep hook. Dan shot extremely quick. I knew him when he was in his late 60s so he could have been a dot master way back but he was an average shot. But........he definitely was not overbowed at 80# in his 70's  i know that. Dan shot a low wrist, he GRIPPED the bow.. he was strong as an ox..held like if you were holding a tennis racket. definitely his brace point was at base of thumb knuckle.

I lot of still miss ole Dan and his ole shop and how it was laid out....just piles and piles of stuff....he was "something"...they dont make em like that anymore
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Good stuff JoeBuck.I emt Mr. Dan once and I felt like it would be something I would never forget and I was right. Never saw him shoot but Shot with his Son DD a time or two and he was above avearge.
   John Shulze would be near identical in shooting to Howard Hill I would think.RC

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
I have read an "interview" of J. Schulz from G. Wensel. In that article John described the "heavy bow route" and that he shot in the 75# range for a while, had no problem with the "flight weight" bows but his 3 current personal bows where 63-67#s.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Jeffery has made some longhunters recently. i shot one really nice.

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
John Schulz wrote a short book about Howard Hill in which he explains how Mr Hill shot, and relates some personal stories.  Its a short but great read.  He was taught to shoot personally by Hill.  My sense of it is that he has never departed from the "Hill style".  He also put out a video called "Hitten em like Howard Hill".  I suspect you know all of this but just in case I posted.

He built American Longbows for a long time.  They may still be in production, I'm not sure.

If you want to know about Howard Hill, Bob Wesley also shot with him a good bit, and seems to know a lot from personal experience.  

Bob ala H Hill griped his bow with a death grip.  I never could get the hang of that myself, but Bob shot wonderfully well.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
John schulz also has another book detailing some of his form, hunts,talks with hill etc. It's called "Straight Shooting"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
This should be a wonderful thread. I will be following it. The owner of the bow shop I patronize was real close with earl hoyt jr and will tell you ANYTHING you want. They have free coffee too, good thing cause Jack can talk thru about two pots. All kidding aside jack is a wonderfull man and is very open to his knowledge
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Man I'm suprised about how many people have already posted. I'm beggining to see some pattern as to how all of these men shoot/shot (but I'll get more into that later)

I am also learning things I've never heard about

Like Hill did A LOT more expirimenting with bow design than Hill bow purist would like to believe (I've found a couple of pictures and videos where he was shooting R/D longbows  :eek:  )

I also had a thought that if Fred Bear were to come to my local archery range they would tell him to drop 15/20# and strongly suggest some lessons (in fact they would probably tell that to all of them) but he made it work

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Both of the Wensels were good friends with Schultz when they lived in Montana. They may be a good source of info about  him.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
I first met Dan in the mid 60's when I was living in Vidalia, Ga. He was still living up North and working for American Archery I believe. I remember one night at an old tabacco barn we were practicing and Dan gave me some tips on shooting. He taped a paper match on my recurve (Cheetha Supreme..American Archery) to show me what it was like to use a sight pin.

I later was on a hog hunt with him in Uvalda, Ga. and we shot in a Field Round Tournament in the same group in the 70's..may have been in Elberton, Ga.. He and I were in Hunter Class A. I'm thinking he was shooting a Hoyt or Howatt recurve that day. We both shot terrible ..I remember that. I think he was living in Athens then and may have started building bows. Last time I saw him.

I do remember he built a hang on stand. Everybody called it a Quillian. It was made to be really lightweight. It was just a piece of heavy gauge aluminum...bout 10ga. with the sides and front turned down about 1". It was just big enough for about size 12 boots to fit on. We all used pole climbers back then and didn't know what a saftey harness or belt was.

Dan was a little older than me and I always looked up to him...size wise and as a special man with a good heart.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I bought my first longbow from Dan Quillian in the 1980's. It was a Bamboo Longhunter.

I had been out of archery for a long time  but had a notion to look into it again. I saw a magazine in a store with Mr. Quillian's name and number. I called him on a Saturday, just to find out where he was located.

He told me to come to his house (60 miles away) that same day. His words were "Shoot one of my bows, and if you like it, take on home". At that time he was selling out of his house and had not yet opened the shop beneath the shopping center in Athens, GA. Well, I liked it and have been shooting longbows since.

He advocated heavy poundage bows if you could handle them. He coached me a bit on taking a deep hold on the bow string down to the first joint on my hand and taking a very firm grip on the bow. He also thought there is some advantage in shooting long arrows.

So I wound up with a 68" Bamboo Longhunter at 58#, which I later traded for a heavier draw. (Wish now I had it back.) When trying out his bow in his back yard, I missed several shots and was concerned about losing his arrows. That's when he gave me a very fine piece of advice -"Don't fall in love with your arrows, because they won't be around all that long."  

He was a very likeable and knowledgeable fellow.  Later, when he opened his shop I went several times to shoot on the indoor range, and, even though he hardly knew me, he always took time to speak to me and point out flaws in my form.

Dan Quillian did a lot to promote archery and bowhunting.  I was very pleased when Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia received permission to name our yearly state tournament the Dan Quillian Memorial Shoot.
Sam

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Dan sounds like one of the coolest guys ever. Does anyone have a video of him shooting?
I want to see if his form is anything like the others.

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I have a 64" 60# Bamboo Longhunter and must say that it is very smooth and points extremely well.  The bow does not lack for any lumber and has quite a bit more mass than my other longbows.  Which I suppose helps its shootability. Very good design!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I'd love to hear from people who knew Ben Pearson.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
I'd love to hear from people who knew Ben Pearson.
I had a guy pm me earlier that said Ben Pearson was kind of lacking in the personality department and wasn't too well liked

Joshua Long, aren't those Long Hunters shooters  :archer:  I've got a 68" 70# model that is one of my favorites

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Ben Pearson died in 1971 so I never met him. I was around some of the pioneer bowhunters in Arkansas county when I was a child. Still remember them shooting those vintage bows. Many people shot Pearson archery equipment because it was an Arkansas product and they could just go to the factory and pick up bows and other archery equipment. That he was a great shot and promoter of archery is no doubt however I have heard some unflattering things about his personality from people who knew or hunted with him. Just what I've heard so don't beat the messenger. LOL It will be interesting to see if anyone else has heard the same or conflicting stories.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
i recently watched the schulz video.  WOW!
to describe his shooting as fluid doesn't seem...smooth enough.

maybe someday.  for now, i have to settle at full draw, at least for a second.

but...maybe someday.

joe

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Ben Pearson was born in Saline County, Arkansas on November 16, 1898. Events are hazy and accounts conflicting, but it's safe to say that Ben made his first bow sometime prior to 1926, a six foot hickory patterned after the English longbow obtained from instructions on bow building in Boy Scout articles written by Uncle Dan Beard. Later, in the Boy Scouts' Merit Badge Series for Archery, he would author his own instructions with "How To Make A Flat Bow." Ben performed numerous exhibitions across America for youth and scout groups and according to a recent article by Arline Chandler, "Pearson never charged a fee for his demonstrations, nor asked for expenses."

In 1926, Ben entered the Arkansas State Championships held in Little Rock and placed next to last. It was a humbling experience for the budding archer. Determined to improve his skills, Ben worked at upgrading his equipment and learning to shoot. The next year, he once again entered the Arkansas State Championships, but this time he walked away as the Arkansas State Champion. During the next 10 years or so, Ben would become a regular fixture at target events, develop into a highly respected competitor and place seventh behind Pat Chambers during the 1938 NAA National Tournament and 24 places ahead of a young Fred Bear. Pat would later go to work for Ben in 1940 as a field man and author "Archery," the first publication issued by Pearson Archery.

After completing grammar school, Ben worked on the family farm in Lonoke county until he was drafted toward the end of WWI. The Armistice was soon signed and Ben's short lived service came to an end. Ben returned home, but the farm couldn't hold him and he moved to Little Rock. In Little Rock, Ben would land a job with the Little Rock Railway and Electric Company, move on to the Arkansas Power & Light Company and as the Depression deepened in 1931 he would take off on his own. He tried the floral business in Pine Bluff, but with little money and even less experience his venture soon collapsed and he resorted to selling caterpillar tractors for John Riggs, doing some work for Lee Woods, Inc., of Pine Bluff and producing archery equipment in his garage.

It was during this period that a chance meeting would forever change his life. It seems that Carl Haun, a retired oil man from Blackwell, Oklahoma, had purchased a bow and arrow set for his grandson. It didn't take the grandson long to lose or break all his arrows. Grandpa set about to replace the youngster's arrows but found the task more difficult than anticipated. Upon learning of Ben Pearson, Mr. Haun cranked his airplane up and flew to Pine Bluff. Soon Mr. Haun was knocking on Ben's door and Mr. Haun's arrow problems were solved. According to Roy Hoff, "That was the beginning of a great partnership little known to the user of Ben Pearson equipment. Carl listened intently as Ben explained his dream of mass producing archery tackle and became intrigued. This was still during the depression years, but evidently not in the oil business."

Ben later commented on the meeting. "He was tickled to death to find some arrows for his grandson. So, Mr. Haun invited me to `go for a walk'. He said he wanted to look for some For Sale signs. He took a dim view of mass production in a backyard garage. We came upon an old sorghum mill with a For Sale sign on it." At that moment Carl Haun's financial support and Ben Pearson's mechanical knowledge were joined, forming Ben Pearson Company. Ben Pearson Company would later lay claim to being "the world's greatest mass-producing archery tackle manufacturer."

Ben Pearson retired from the archery manufacturing business in 1967 and passed away four years later on March 2, 1971 at age 72, after revolutionizing the manufacturing of archery tackle, providing quality, functional equipment well within the means of the average person. He left a legacy in the "Bushmaster" and the unsurpassed "Deadhead." He left another in Longbow, a 400 acre retreat near Prim, Arkansas, now restored by his son Ben, Jr. in tribute to his father and those who stalked the hills before him. His presence is still felt there in his get-away cabin. The cabin provides an awesome view of a waterfall cascading off a rock bluff into the blue-green pool below. - Cliff Huntington
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©