3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ben Pearson, John Schulz, Dan Quillian  (Read 430 times)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ben Pearson, John Schulz, Dan Quillian
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Danny, Thank you for a nice write up! I've always liked Pearson bows and I've never heard that part of Pearson's development. I own quite a few Pearson's and although some shoot better than others I like all that I own. My favorites are the Mercury Marauder and the Mercury Hunter.I still use the Pearson Switchblades along with Zwickeys and they perform very well.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Living in PineBluff in the mid 60's I had several friends that work at Pearson Archery and was in and out of the factory many times. There was an outlet store and indoor range out on 79 hiway that sold bows and arrows. Saved my money and bought a short recurve 60# that was more than I could shoot. The Pearson's owned a Motel in Pine Bluff named the Ben-Mar and the company I worked for did all the floor work there and I got to meet his wife many times. When we installed a new kitchen floor in the Pearson home I met Mr Pearson and I told him about the bow I had just bought. He asked how I was doing with the bow and I told him I had to work up to the poundage. His suggestion was to take it back and get another bow, he recomended a longer bow at 50#. The outlet store didn't take returns but he called them and made it happen for me.  Altho he didn't take a lot of time to chit-chat he was very pleasant to talk with.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff here already. I have to share my first an only meeting with Dan. It was at the NC Bowhunters banquet in hickory, nc back in about 1991. I had shoved a black dimond delta through my forearm the season before. (another story). Dan did his broadhead test where he had a green steer hide stretched on a one foot square frame and would pull it down on broadheads fixed on to a 6 inch  shaft set into a block of wood. the wood was on a scale. He was trying to prove that cut on contact heads were  the best for trad guys  I stayed after his talk and showed him the scare on my arm. His first response was "What did you feel when it happened? ". I told him I didn't feel anything except I knew I had screwed up. He got this big smile on his face and said, " that's what I thought" . I'll never forget it or him. I don't think he would be considered Politicly Correct today. He was wearing a hat that said " If you don't like Loggers, Try wiping your a...ss with a spotted owl" . When I think about legends in archery, Dan is the first one that comes to my mind.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
My only encounter with Dan is a very nice note he wrote to me on the receipt for some items I ordered from him. I would have loved to met him.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I bought a one piece canebrake off of Dan for my first custom bow. I think it was 15 to twenty years a go. I can remember Dan telling me to make sure you get a deep solid hook on the string. That bow was stolen from a me a couple years later.  Should have the name "Randy Parrott" on it.

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Quillian also did an instructional video.  I thought the Schulz video was much better.  

I have a bunch of H Hill movie short videos. He was remarkable.  He gapped but did it so quickly and fluidly it was amazing.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
I've often wondered if instinctive shooting was accually gap shooting done instinctively. Byron Ferguson helped me more than any with his split vision style.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
I met Dan in 1988, after a house fire that destroyed all my equipment. I had been shooting an early Jennings compound, but was thinking about a take-down recurve so I could pack it easily when flying. I saw one of Dan's ads, and called him. I lived in Conyers, GA at the time, not too far from Athens. He was still working out of his house, and when I walked in, there was a pile of bows in front of the living room hearth, literally. He asked me if I had ever shot a longbow, and I told him I started with a fiberglass Bear as a kid. He pulled a Bamboo Longhunter, 67#, from the pile and we went outside. I loved the bow, and Dan gave me some coaching which immediately improved my shooting. We started discussing wood arrows, and the need for stronger, better quality shafts, and next thing I knew we were in business. Dan was my sales manager when I opened Tallahatchie Woodworks to make the Superceder shafts.

Dan's video was simple, just him shooting and describing the process. He used a push-pull method of drawing, looking down the arrow to the target as he brought the bow up during the draw, and only paused enough at full draw to settle in his sight picture. He strongly advocated the longest draw possible, saying another inch of draw was like adding 10# to the draw weight. I learned more about archery from him in the first year than I had managed to learn on my own in the previous 30.

He used a tab of his own design, heavy leather with holes for the first and third fingers instead of the middle one. I still have the one that he took off his hand and gave to me. He put the string at the first joint of his fingers, and advocated the heaviest bow you could handle because you automatically got a cleaner release when the string left, among other reasons.

Dan was a brilliant man and a true iconoclast, and people either loved him or hated him. No one was ambivalent about him after a conversation. He didn't hold back. I loved him, because I always knew where he stood. We were close friends as well as business partners for years, and I stayed in touch with him up until his death. I still think about him frequently, like every time I pick up a bow.

I still have that Longhunter, and killed a bull elk with it the first year I hunted with it. With his coaching, I became good enough that I rarely left a 3D shoot without a trophy, usually first place, including several state and regional championships. His son DD was/is a phenomenal archer, and once won the GA state archery tournament, shooting his 90# Longhunter bare-bow against field archers shooting recurves with all the accessories. Dan didn't shoot competitively while I knew him, but I shot with DD several times, and it was always much fun. I could occasionally best him on the range, but he usually won. John Hood was his shooting buddy, another phenom. The three of us shot together at the HH World Championship one year and had a blast. John won it that year with his 90# Longhunter. I shot in the top 5 more than once there, but 4th was my best showing.

Dan believed that traditional bows were better hunting tools than compounds, but didn't hesitate to innovate and change things, always experimenting. He was not a bowyer, but his commercial bows were all made to his specifications, with most made by Jeffrey and some by Martin. Owen Jeffrey and Dan were old friends, and argued archery endlessly. Owen would criticize Dan's designs, and Dan would make him make them that way anyhow. Dan modified the shelf of his bows after he and I experimented with cutting away most of the shelf so that the arrow only touched a small spot at the bow back, but contacting the side of the bow directly above the grip to reduce torque. His commercial bows were made that way in the last year or so that he had the business, but the new owners went back to the "traditional" shelf, not understanding the improvement it made, especially when your form wasn't perfect.

The last modification I saw him do was to use putty to extend the shelf farther, a bit out in front of the back, to get the longest distance possible from the contact point to the string.

When FF strings were developed, he converted most of his bows to use them, recognizing the increase in performance that could be had by using a lighter-weight string. The commercial bows had 14 strands, but he went as low as 8 for certain customers who couldn't shoot heavy or long draws.

Wonderful memories! I still miss the old rascal.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
This is the kind of stuff I like to read, personal stories about traditional archery legends!!  They were businessmen, and, in order to survive, had to cater to "modern archery" (wheelie bows), but they continued to offer traditional bows.  Sadly, I never met any of them-almost, but not quite-almost only counts in horseshoes, atom bombs, and hand grenades.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Dan told me about his first experience with compounds. He didn't like the letoff, and modified his so that it only let off maybe 10 pounds. He shot at 4 deer, killed 4 deer, but just didn't like the complexity- he was a firm believer in Murphy's Law. He retired the compound and went back to his longbow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
My Longhunter has the cut off shelf. It's a fine shooting bow and built tough as nails.

Don, I bought a dozen bareshafts of your Supercedars from the classifieds awhile back. They made for some great flying arrows. I keep an eye out for some more to pop-up. I believe I read that they are made of Mississippi Magnolia.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Dan. I wish I could have met him.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©