3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Losing hope  (Read 647 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Losing hope
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Hey bud. It's probably not the bow. Longbows and recurves are so simple yet can be tough to tune.  Carbon arrows can really be tough. Look at the charts and get some aluminum shafts to start with. Much easier to tune. If all else fails really work with your mock point and shelf. In my opinion the wrong nock point makes a major difference in arrow flight. A sixteenth of an inch can make a big difference. Even a handmade self bow can group arrows in a coffe cup at long range. It just takes a little work. You will get it. I would try paper tunning or bare shaft tunning.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
hey jonsimoneau, still pretty green when it comes to trad bows lol, what do you mean work with the shelf? I moved the nock point all over heck   :banghead:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
That's a fantastic buck in your pic by the way!

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I'd put a bear weatherrest on it if you are shooting off the shelf. Maybe the riser is off someway.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
How do your nocks fit on the serving? If too tight will cause eratic arrow flight. Should be just tight enough that if you tap the string the arrow will fall away. Also, if you are gripping the nock of the arrow with your fingers you can cause eratic arrow flight.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
We can figure this out. First of all what exactly are your arrows doing when you shoot them?  Are they fish tailing cork screwing?  What does the shelf material look like?  Is the material possibly catching the quills of your fletching when you shoot?  As far as nock point goes it can be different for everyone but I would put it at 5/8ths to start with.   What exactly is your brace height set to?  Measure it from the deepest part of the grip to the string. Don't worry we will get it shooting right.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
well is it a radious shelf or flat also is she cut to or past center and you might dig around on the Web and see what the makers say bout it and chuck would be good to have look at her bowyers eyes often catch what we miss

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Who is this Ken Cambell fellow w/55 posts wanting to give/loan a beautiful bow? Don't you know that's straight from the TG Heartfelt Handbook! Well done friend. God Bless you both! And the rest of my TG brothers involved. I can donate a stringer & glove. PM me.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Who is this Ken Cambell fellow w/55 posts wanting to give/loan a beautiful bow? Don't you know that's straight from the TG Heartfelt Handbook! Well done friend. God Bless you both! And the rest of my TG brothers involved. I can donate a stringer & glove. PM me.
:clapper:    :clapper:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I'd try paper tuning with your fletched arrows from about 5-6' away.

That paper will " take a snapshot " of your arrow flight.
It makes things LOTS easier when you can see the results of your adjustments plainly.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by caihlen:
I have a Martin ML 10 68 " 50 @ 28 that you can have for the shipping.  Say the word.  Couple of spare strings too...
This is one of the things that makes TradGang such a great place!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Got to love TG people, never seizes to amaze me. I had the same gift from Dannybows, he gave me this beautiful Howwatt for me to refinish. Here she is...

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
And don't give up, anybody can pull back a contraption, settle the pin, and and squeeze, this is what makes Trad awesome! Keep at it, it will come man.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Bass Pro, on my way there now. Will look for you. Good luck on the bow. Have you had the Bearfoot guys shoot it?
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Killer bow Dalton!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I am in the DM area, actually I believe you brought this bow into scheels when I was still working there.  You are more than welcome to run a few of my Easton FMJ's out of it to see how they do.  Also if you ever want to shoot, just txt or call me

Andy
816-three 9 two- 9 two 4 six

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Bow is on the way.  Enjoy.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by caihlen:
Bow is on the way.  Enjoy.
good on you brother.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Caihlen I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! I cannot say enough about the generosity found in this community, I hope to someday share a hunt with as many TGer's as possible!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
huskyarcher that is one sweet looking bow! Hope it shoots as well as it looks for ya   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©