3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many coats with pro-fin?  (Read 426 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many coats with pro-fin?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Mike, most of the waterbased finishes I have used hasn't held up too well to targets. That is why I have been so pleased with the ProFin. Do you like the Parks when it comes to it's ability to withstand some abuse?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
I don't have a bad thing to say about it.  Delta and Makenzie targets are not the best for them, I've had problems with all arrow finishes in those targets.  Rienhart and bag targets are no problem.  Most of my shooting is with a judo head outside, or broadheads, and they stand up to LOTS of abuse.  I don't shoot at targets often.  I prefer to be hunting something with judo heads if it's not "regular" hunting season (September-January).  

Like I said earlier, I can not say with intelligence how good Pro Fin is, because I have not used it.  I can say that Parks is phanominal, and all I will use till they stop making it.  I do not run it thru a gasket, so there is some lost in the drip tray, but most is allowed to run off the shaft till it starts to "Drip", then I hang to let finish dripping and dry.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I think I'll have to do a side by side with a few arrows to see how they match up.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm interested in knowing.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Ok. I know I said I would not order more pro-fin because of the cost of getting it to the Midwest but I tried it out on a test shaft tonight and this stuff is excellent. Perfect and I mean perfect consistency right out of the can with no bubbles at all even a minute after I put it in the dip tube. Think I might have to see if they will give me a break on the shipping if I order a bunch of it. Really like it so far. Thanks guys.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I had forgotten about the target burn (foam from targets heating up and adhering to the arrow) when using water based poly; another reason I went away from using it.  However, the main reason I quit using it was I quit building arrows and my arrowsmith uses pro fin.  Less target burn with the pro fin, but that can be mitigated by waxing your arrows every now and them with pledge or another type of furniture wax.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Just use the "pine scented" wax to hide your scent...   ;)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
I consider my arrow making skills to be novice or apprentice at best. Don't get me wrong, turned out some real beauties but no where near the volume of arrows built that the arrowsmiths on here are building.

In my humble opinion and based on my limited experience with Profin and Minwax Polycrylic, one being oil based the latter water based, that they are very different animals in regards to target burn. I would not shoot a Minwax Polycrylic arrow into a foam target, not even once. Immediate target burn ! With 3 coats of Profin and a coat of wax not a issue. Yes, with enough shots you can wear it down but much more durable than water based formulas I have tried. I wanted water base to work due to cost, local availability, no toxic fumes, etc, etc. but just not tuff enough IMHO.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©