3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest 6 Start Your Engines!!!!  (Read 4731 times)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest 6 Start Your Engines!!!!
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
This is always a great thread.My question is how old do you need to be to hunt in that providence?
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
Fred,
We all thought that bear was going to drop his guard.  Maybe you wore him out for the guy lucky enough to sit Resurrection on the 2nd week.

You definitely get the award for the Hardcore Hunter of the week! Make another trip North but this time stop in Boston.  We'll make a Hardcore Hunter knife together!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
Awesome story fellas, congrats to everyone on a great adventure and some southbound bear hides.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Congratulations on a great hunt Fred. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
This thread gives a person the idea why this hunt is so special. After reading Fred's recall of his daily venture you can see why I loved "my" stand so much. That monster bear is likely the one I hit right where the humerus joins the lower shoulder blade three years ago. I mentioned in a chapter of my book he was by far the biggest black bear I'd ever seen in my life long pursuit of bears. Living for almost thirty years in Montana and seeing tons of grizzlies I could only recall seeing two big grizz that were maybe bigger than that black. And he would have given them a heck of a fight!Now my brother and some of my friends might believe me. Fred was my room mate at BQ a couple years ago. It was only fitting we got to share the same stand. His daily explanations really brought back the memories because I'm so intimate with the area. A personal thank you Fred. It was actually my idea for Tom to move the stand over to the new spot for a trial basis and to move it back to the original location if it didn't work out. Fred's hunt mirrored my own in previous years. I just love the fact he got to experience it all. Here's to great memories and a sincere thank you for sharing them. UB

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Great story telling Fred!!Sometimes the ones we don't get stay with us forever.  :)  

Thanks to everyone that has posted their stories and pics!!You have captured the essence of BQ perfectly. Next best thing to being there.

Glad the bow is working for you Jeff.Think you might call it Jeffs bow that Paul built. I only build them,you make her sing.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
After reading last years stories, it was a hunt that I had to do.  I was not disapointed.  I ate like a pig, laughed my butt off, saw 7 different bears in 3 days on stand, and made a bunch of new friends.(I also came out of there with 1 more bow than I started with) what more could you want.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Nice job Fred. Did you ever try any sow in heat lure like I gave you a couple of years ago? Its not the real thing , but may have given that old bear a reason to get into and stay in position longer. I think it might be a good idea to set two stands on that bait so you can quietly move from one to the other as needed. Since there is a slight hill by that bear, I think that old bear keeps a pretty good eye on things and is one reason why that bait is so productive with multiple bears. Great story and I hope you guys get him next time, or maybe he has fallen to an arrow already this week. Thanks for bringing us along. All the pictures are great and I can see myself there right now having a "quiet" discussion with Marty, Fred, Barry, Tom, Paul, and all the gang.  Thanks, Mike

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Fred - I'd say you had an outstanding adventure up there with the lads!

Something tells me that there will be another day with the big bear in your future.

Thanks for sharing.  These annual threads always make me want to head north for my birthday and fight off some bugs!  Not to mention enjoy some great company, eat some of Don's fine cuisine and laugh till my sides hurt........and possibly get a nice bear!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
fantanstic thread. Great job to all!     :notworthy:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Fred,

I enjoyed your story.  Well told and the emotions and effort you expended on that hunt were reflected in your writing.  I love hunts that are more than just a simple....animal appears...shot animal...story over.  It's the drama and effort that makes a hunt what I think a lot of us are looking for in the end.  I went on last years Bear Quest and before I left I remember looking at all the previous years pictures.  You were there in 2010 and I told myself I wanted to shot a bear like the one you arrowed that year. Beautiful pumpkin head bear. I was envious of your bear then as I am of your experience this year.  I would say you held up to the standard of the Resurrection stand.  I doubt anyone will shoot that bear and maybe thats ok because the legend will grow!

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
This is top notch tread. Congrates to all on there BQ adventure. I have been in contact with Mrs Bowdoc multiple times and shes doing well. Im very glad the bowdoc got back to BQ adventure. Knowing firsthand the hard times over the last yr and a half. Cant wait for more BQ adventures.
 UBarry, glad to hear ur doing well. Thank u to all that took there time in sharing these storys. Somebodys gotta get these memories in a book...   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and comments .
        Jeff , thanks for the invite to the "Tippet Forge " This really puts the squeeze on me to return next year !
        Barry I think I found a chink in ther big bears armour . He made one move 2 times and if I had a few extra days there might have been a different ending . I'd give a lot to get another crack at him .
        Mike I used Sow in heat lure every day  sparingly as all it took was a little bit last time . Thanks for the tip , I won't be in bearcamp without it .This bear knew the game and was playing by his rules .
        Paul you make an awesome bow! And your cookings not bad either .
        Chris I took that bear the fifth night. I had  a trail cam set up and he wasn't seen at that bait before . Only 2 or 3 other bears were coming in . Goes to show you any stand is good that time of year , you just have to be patient . By the way that bear qualifies for P&Y.
        I still get chills thinking back at the  excitement of Eric , Sean and Mike on their first bears . Any bear taken with trad gear is a trophy and an accomplishment to be proud of . I think Teddy Roosevelt once said something about he would rather lose on the field of competition than to sit on the sidelines and make comments , having never expierienced the contest . We all hunt for different reasons and we all hunt for the same ones .  The Lord has Blessed me with a great life , I've taken some really neat animals in some very special places but looking back I seem to have enjoyed the times I came home empty handed as much , if not more , than the times I scored . How much longer is it to Bearquest 7 anyway ?
Greyfox54

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Some more pics of BQ 6 (First Group)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Congrats to all involved!  Always one of the best threads of the year!

Fred, That was awesome brother    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Guys, a case of Bush Lite in Canada???? That should be illegal...

So you lucky dawgs that tag out early, what do you do?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©