3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest 6 Start Your Engines!!!!  (Read 4722 times)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest 6 Start Your Engines!!!!
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Sat eve.I got to the stand around 2:30pm while Tom led me in.He placed the doughnuts,twinkies.and hostess cupcakes in the barrel.I saw the stink bait hanging in the tree and would smell it all afternoon every time the wind blew it in my direction.It was close to 90 degrees.Tom handed me my bow then walked over and beat the barrel with the lid of the bucket as I had seen about 10,000 magots and flies swarming on the cut meat bait lying on the ground.Surely all this preparation would work so I told Tom "he had done his homework."Everything was feeling pretty good except me as I soon found myself holding my head on my knees while I was nestled in the stand.I had to fight sleep and just being weary all afternoon.Around 6:30 I thought about getting down but the walk back would be a pretty good trek so I made my mind up I was gonna sit till dark.I was determined.My therma cell was putting out its fine vapor so it made it easier.Occassionally I would want to close my eyes but forced myself to stay awake.The red tailed squirrels were giving me a show as one after another would scoot in the barrel and get a marshmellow half the size of their head and quickly scatter off with their prized catch only to come back time and time again for the sweet morsels.They were coming from all over. A 22 pistol would have have gotten a bag full but I just kept on watching esp when they would chirp and call while perching themselves up looking all around.Sometimes I thought they were telling all "come and get it" as this went on relentlessly.Still hanging in there around 8:30pm I saw a black blob coming down the ridge that had the crib facing it with a big old pine blowdown providing cover for the bait.Tom had made an opening to come under the tree and big ole boy stopped and surveyed the situation for a couple of minutes.I sat there motionless with my bow in hand.
I soon saw him come out and he walked out in front and circled slowly to the bait.I told my self I was gonna pass as he was not as big as the barrel.he stuck his head in the barrel and quickly withdrew and walked away the same as he had approached.I thought "allright go on and go home,leave." He stopped behind the crib and blowdown and watched the bait again as if he knew something wasn't right.No more than a minute later I saw him approaching again longing for his sweet tooth to be satisfied.He came again with the same approach and I began to rationalize to take him. He got to the barrel and stuck his head in and I began to draw only a few inches and he heard the arrow on the beaver reat on my bow.I was astounded for He quickly backed out and I just watched him move away being able to shoot broadside for several steps.I let him walk and felt pretty good as I would wait for another bear for this was the 1st day of the hunt.He got back through the blowdown tree and turned and began to study the bait for the 3rd time.He then came again for the barrel.I could not believe my eyes as his belly was getting the best of him.This time he entered the barrel only to pick his right shoulder up toward the barrel exposing his whole right side.With that happening I could not resist as I saw the arrow fly straight through him from my Arroyo.IT wAS LIKE SHOOTING THROUGH A BIG MELON.WOW>IT had happened.AND I watched him go 20 yds and gaze at me for 30-45 seconds.I kept waiting for him to show signs of going down.He then blurted diagonally up the hill and I thought "oh no,he's got plenty of strenght to go uphill" so I thought he was going to get away.He soon stopped and I begin to hear a lot of falling and noise on the ground.Soon I heard 3 faint moans one after the other,not a long sounding moan.Then I heard what I had never heard from shooting an animal.It sounded like a bucket of water falling out and hitting the ground.Honestly thats what I heard.I could only picture in my mind that it was blood finally rushing out his side or his mouth.Anyway,I felt much better believing him to be down on the ground.I sat a few more minutes as night was approaching so I got down and walked over and pulled the arrow out of the ground that had blood saturated on the feathers and shaft.It had stuck pretty deep in the ground and I felt good as I believed the Simmons bh had done its work.I then walked the 20 yds.and saw blood everywhere that he had stopped at.I did not want to take a chance as it had only been about 15 min since I had shot so I left silently and would go back in the am.
Tom wanted to know all the details so we decided it best to go in the am.Jay and Larry went with me the next day and  it did not take hardly any time to find him.He was 162lbs on the scales and I later found out that Jeff had harvested one at around 6:30 on the 1st day.
Was a great hunt and all the guys high- fived me and everyone was getting pumped up with bears in the camp.was truly a great day.Only problem now was I had used my tag and no more hunting for me.fishing would now get the nod so I had several days to catch some.
see

Offline chadt1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I think it's my turn I just wanted to say thanks to Tom, Bowdoc, and the hard work that Zack did setting up baits and stands. I meet alot of great people, Dwight the renigade preacher thats all I will say about that he knows what i'm talking about, Ha. Ha.,Small Chad, Eli, JP, Pierre, Chris, Brian, It was definatly a pleasure meet these guys, and the guys I already knew Larry, Jay, Jeff, Zack, and Dennis there's not a better group of guys to share camp with. Congraulations to all the guys in harvesting there bears, and a special congrats. to JP on his first bear and harvesting the largest bear of Bear Quest 6. I love bear camp and Canada anybody who hasent had the oppertunity to experiance both should definatly put it on there bucket list. Thanks again Tom and Bowdoc for a great week you guys are a class act.

Chad Tomlin
Dixie Bowmen Archery Club Virginia Trophy Hunters
Blackwidow- PSAX Crossgrain 45@28
Fedora Xtrema- 45@28

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Ok, Great stories from the second group, but where are the pics,LOL.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
will try and post them later.
see

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Man,these guys are sure dragging their feet! What another great adventure in bear camp! Tom puts in a lot of hard work and it sure shows,not a better host around. Then there's Bowdoc, what can I say.Love him like brother,but man, he ain't right! A great cook and heck of a lot of good entertainment, but he ain't right!
  The hunting started off great. I knew Jeff had set the bar pretty high in week 1 and since over the years I have developed a burning desire to own a "Tippet" knife, I knew it was "Go Big, or Go Home"! I drew the Long Trail, so I already had a feeling that I was in the money! One of my favorite stands. Saturday night Jay and I elected to bait our stands then "relax" for the evening. Sunday I saw 3 bears. Two came down into the bait, not bad bears but they weren't going to take home the Tippet knife. The third bear was considerably larger, but would never come closer than 40 yds. Monday evening had a couple more bears come nosing around, but again, no shooters. Tuesday was a bust, no bears sighted. Wednesday started out pretty slow, then about 7 pm the urge to answer natures call got pretty strong. As I'm standing in the stand, with a pee bottle in one hand and my business in the other, I look up and see this large black object coming down the hill in front of me. Big and black enough to immediately get my attention! Holy crap on a cracker, now what do I do? Luckily he turned to his left and walked across the bottom of the hill and back into the brush, about 40 yds away. Just enough time to remedy the "situation" that I had in my hands and get my bow off of the hanger. He came back out and proceeded to walk off to my right, all the way down to the trail that I had walked in on. He then turned around and circled in front of me, still 40 yds out, all the way to my left. All in all he spent about 25 min.just walking around, but never committing. Finally he decides it's snack time and heads for the bait.
 I should mention that for some crazy reason, we had baited that morning instead of taking it in with us when we hunted. When I got in there that night,of course all of the goodies had been eaten and all I had was a bag full of Marshmellows and chocolate chips. It would just have to do.
  As he's coming in to the bait, head on facing me, he finds the chocolate chips. He gets to about 8 yds, turns broadside, head down eating chocolate chips, with his head behind a large pine tree! WhooHoo, game on! I start to draw and get to about 3/4 draw and he takes a step. Now his vitals are covered by the same tree that just a few seconds ago, was my friend! As I glance over towards his head,I now see these two beady little black eyes staring right at me! Crap! He slowly turns to his right and walks directly away from me,offering no shot, back up the hill the same way he came in, never to be seen again. So Close! With no actual proof, I believe this bear would have definately been in the running for the Tippet knife, but I guess we'll never know. Saw a few more bears the rest of the week, but they just didn't measure up. Man, what a fantastic experiance with some of the most fantastic guys that I have ever had the privelidge of sharing a campfire with!
 Dwight and Jeff,it was an absolute pleasure helping you recover your bears and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Good Lord willing and  the creek don't rise, I'll be back next year, without a doubt! Gotta keep the string going, my fourth this year, five next year. Besides, Still don't have one of those dang Tippet knives!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
JP!   HEY, JP!  You got some 'splainin to do!  :bigsmyl:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Great thread!! Love reading all the stories!!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Good deal Dwight ! Like your choice of broadhead too. What stand did you draw ? And as importantly did you catch any fish ?  
 And Caddo did you score ? or like me just had fun .   Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Like you Fred, Tag soup! Looking for Mr.Big, close, but no cigar!

LD

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Fred,I drew the cardiac stand.Tom told the whole group that there had been one seen the night before and was real nervous.I think I was the second to draw out of the bucket as it was being passed around.Fred,I do remember your insight as we met at the sporting goods store and you told me about meeting a big one and you had tried all week to get him.I think everyone wanted the resurrection stand for we knew " Big John" was in there.anyway I went with what I got , what I drew ,and was content with that. I had never hunted over bait in my life so this was a whole new experience for me.The steep hill made it easy to drag out.Larry pulled the bear most of the way out and enjoyed it for he knew it was my 1st bear with a bow and was happy for me.Jay made a bunch of pics and I will try and get some posted on here.thanks to all for your help.
see

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
I went fishing with Pierre and JP the 1st day.we did catch some my first being a shad type or as Pierre said a "fall" fish.jp got some walleye.we came in and filleted them.I went with Jeff and zack and caught some good walleye and a good size pike.my walleye was close to the 21 in rule and I never measured him for we had to get enough to have the fish fry we had planned.where I come from you throw the little ones back and keep the big ones.I n Canada they make u throw anything over 21in back acc to Pierre.I guess I thought as long as I don,t know then I'll keep him.later I saw a decal on the rail of the boat with measurements.he had been on the stringer so long I couldn't bear to let him go.Zack caught some and we had a good amount to add for the fish fry.Anyway they sure tasted great.
see

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
It is now Sunday, Father’s Day and with the events that took place on Saturday night some additional stands became available.  Sunday morning I was helping dress out a kill from the previous night and Tom decided that we should draw for the available stands.  My hands were bloody so JP decided that he would pick for me.  Needless to say he picked the infamous Resurrection stand for me.  Mind you it is now Father's Day and JP has already given me my Father's Day present by picking the resurrection stand.  Sometimes things are just fortuitous.

After getting all the bears butchered completed and dressed out from the night before we plan our daily routine and get ready to go.  Jeff takes me to stand around 3 o'clock because it's an hour drive and he had been there the previous night.  Now it is my turn in and he will show me where it is.  Finally, I got settled in my stand around 430 and the wind was blowing pretty hard swaying the tree back-and-forth.  Jeff had baited the barrel and placed 2 other satellite piles of bait closer to the base of the stand.

It was a very hot and humid day on Sunday probably in the mid-80s and very  windy and noisy. Nothing was really moving with the wind blowing except for a bunch of squirrels that just kept chattering and fighting over the marshmallows in front of the stand.  Even the snowshoes got involved.

Just around 730PM the wind died down and became very calm.  At this point the woods came alive.  Birds chirping, squirrels chattering, shadows growing in what appears to be movement behind every bush.  Your eyes are now playing tricks on you, wanting to see bears that are still shadows.  Right around 8 o'clock I catch movement to my right coming down a small ridge and trail.  Could it possibly be, I'm watching, I'm hoping. I drew the Beaver Pond on Saturday and have yet to see my first bear.... In only a matter of seconds I realize that it is a bear and appears about 8 yards in front of me and starts eating rapidly as much as it can consume. I realize it is small bear estimated around 80 pounds.  It is eating and very nervously looking around.  At that point I made the decision that I was not going to shoot this bear and try to relax and watch the show.   It was so funny because it was eating so fast it would throw up and then eat it again just like my beagle Bubba does.     This now is taking place about 8 to 9 yards away from the base of my stand.   I'm just sitting there enjoying every second shaking in my boots. Can't believe this is happening.

With my attention focused on the small bear I suddenly catch a black blur coming from my right at a speed which I've never seen animal run in the woods before down the same trail.  Another much larger bear appears on the scene immediately and hits the smaller bear at full speed and pins it to the ground.  The smaller bear is now pinned down by the larger bear and starts biting its face and throat only 8 yards away from me.  The fight continues for what appears to be minutes but probably only lasts seconds. The sounds that I can playback in my mind are horrific, the growling, the fighting, squealing, the snapping of jaws all taking place right in front of me.  It was surrealistic.   No time to think or react I just made myself become invisible. (It is an old Indian trick that Bow Doc taught me, called “no poopy your pants”.) Now the smaller bear was released from the clutches of the larger bear and ran up a tree about 10 to 12 yards away from the tree my stand is in.  The smaller bear was at the very top and the large bear followed and pursued it in a vicious manner breaking limbs off the tree the size of my arms to get to the smaller bear to knock it out of the tree. I know what you're thinking, my pants are still clean at this point but I am still making myself invisible. (The old Bow Doc trick).   Just as suddenly as the woods came alive with the screaming and growling they became very calm and quiet once again.  I could hear and see the big sow climbing out of the tree that she had knocked the smaller bear off of and as it ran away.  I now realize that she is coming back to the bait and I have to calm my breathing and settle down after all that excitement.

The big sow has calmed down and she is circling the bait.  The big girl circles the bait three times and now heads to the satellite pile that Jeff placed right in front of my stand. She is at 8 yards at the base of my stand staring at the base of my tree.   To me it looks like a really big bear but obviously I'm still excited.  I wait for her to face to the left and start eating the satellite pile of donuts, chocolate chips and hostess pies.  I know now that this is my shot.  Her left leg extended slightly forward, her head down and quartering slightly away but it's is a very steep angle. I pick a spot about 6 inches behind the shoulder just below the top of her back exactly where I want the arrow to enter.  I don't remember drawing or releasing but I see the Luminock light and like a laser beam it hits the very back of the shoulder breaking the scapula with a loud cracking sound like a 22 going off.   I can play the shot over and over again in my head it was a little forward and I didn't get a complete pass through like I had hoped but I had about half of the arrow sticking out.  (Commercial break plug for the sponsor… SBD Bow Strings, she didn't hear it coming.)   Immediately the bear takes off and runs a wide circle around the bait site barrel and I watch it go behind the bait barrel with the Luminock still lit, glowing the whole time in the dark woods. I'm now praying that I got enough arrow into the bear.  I held my head between my legs and listened intently to all the surrounding sounds hoping for a death moan. I looked at my watch, it is now exactly 811PM.  I will give it 30 minutes and then walk out. Time passes very quickly and I climb down from my stand not knowing whether that there is wounded or dead bear at this point, just praying that I made a good shot.  I don't even remember getting back to the truck but I did and made it back to the camp safely.  When I got back to camp I describe to Tom and Bow Doc all the details of my story (biggest and meanest bear in the world..LOL) and they reassure me it was probably good hit and it will be a long restless evening… but my next Father's Day present is going to come shortly…

The next morning we get up early.  Tom, Kuch(my nephew), Chris and I pile into the truck and make the hour drive to the Resurrection stand.   It doesn't take long and Tom finds the blood trail.  It was a team effort about 45 minutes and Tom and team found her lying behind a blow down in the tall wet ferns, arrow still intact embedded in the shoulder. My sincere thanks to Tom, Kuch, and Chris for a great tracking job in helping me find her.  She only went about 100 yards in a circle. I did not realize at the time, it was just a death run in a large circle. She died about 45 yards behind the bait site.

When we arrived back to Camp needless to say the celebration continued everyone excited that I had found my bear.

Can't describe the experience and emotions that you go through during the week of Bear Quest.  It is a roller coaster ride of mega proportions. Tom runs such a professional operation his knowledge with bears is incredible.  Bow Doc”s cooking for 15 guys constantly having food on the table, delicious meals, and great stories… My brother from a different mother… what can I say man, I love you dude.

Hey, special thanks to Zach who set up all the stands with Tom and really gave us a lot of support and knowledge throughout the week. Thanks to everyone. Would not have missed it for anything.  Amazing how virtual strangers with a common passion can become best friends in a matter of a week.

And my next part of Father's Day present begins… Come on Jean-Pierre…. As LD said…………“you got some splainin to do boy”.

It's not over yet folks, wait to you hear about the fishing stories.

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Great story with pictures  .... it's going to be a good day!

Congrats Sir
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Way to go Dwight! I've been hoping you would get one since we shot together in March. Good job to all the hunters as well!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Wow.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline JP Lucas

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Alright well I guess it’s my turn.

We all got in camp at around 1130 and after lunch we all drew for our stands. I wanted to go to a water stand so I got lucky and drew the hillbilly stand. I had no clue what to expect. But when we all got in the boats I knew things were going to be great. I figured if I didn’t see any bear I was going to enjoy the boat ride to the stand. When we got to my stand everything was cleaned out; I was pumped. Then we hit all the other baits and the coolest stand besides mine, haha, had to be the moose tower. But once we were done we got back to camp and relaxed for a bit and waited for everyone to get goin.
    I got in my stand at about 3 or 3:30. And yes I was really tired but the squirrels were entertaining, so I was good for the night. At 5:30 I was starting to daze off but I happened to look behind me and did a double take.
    I could not believe it; an actual bear! I have never really seen a bear in the wild but it honestly looked like a black Volkswagen coming through the woods. And then my heart started pounding, it felt like my heart was in my throat. At this point he was about 40 yards behind me. He would stop every 5-10 yards; look around, smell, and check everything out. He was in no hurry to get to the bait. It took him about 15 minutes to cover that 40 yards. Then he was about 4 yards to the left of my stand.

While he was covering those 40 yards I was able to get my bow so I could be ready and yes I was going to shoot on the first night. I figured he might be 190 lbs. ??? But when he was right by my stand he would look right up at me and just stair. At this time I was nervous as all get out. I could not stop shaking. But then after a couple of minutes of him just standing off to the left of my tree and decides to come closer. And now I’m looking at him through my stand. I was remembering when someone back at camp said "don't let the bear get in your tree.", and I was hoping he would not try to come up here. But as soon as I said that to myself he looks up and stairs at me again. He then gets on his backs legs and puts his front paws on my tree; is if to start climbing. I don't even know how to describe the way I was feeling. But I thought me going to stand up and maybe scare him off but I didn't have to. He was got down and went back the way he came. Never heard him coming and never heard him leave.
    All I can say is what a rush; I’m really awake now!
Then after squirrels came and ate for a bit and I started to daze off once again and now it’s about 8. I grabbed my bow at 7:30 cause I knew it’s the magic time. But I just happened to look the way I walked in and now there is a black object taking up the whole trail and knew it was him again. He did the same thing stopping every 5-10 yards smelling and looking around. And in no hurry.

Finally he got close and he looked like he was not big enough to take up the whole trail but I remember there is a pink ribbon on this one tree next to the trail and his back was a good foot to a foot and a half taller than that ribbon.  
    He messed around about 15 yards below the bait for about 10 minutes; which seemed about an hour. Then finally he went to the bait. He was real couscous about getting donuts out of the barrel. Before he committed, he gave me one more stair down. He put his head in the barrel and grabbed some donuts and walked directly away from but he didn’t get far until he realized he wanted more. So I figured when he sticks his head in the barrel I got to stand up for the shot. I was finally able to stand up but when I was ready he had his whole vitals covered with his shoulder and arm from leaning in the barrel. Then he had enough and walked around the barrel and looking at me the whole time. I was just following him and twisting ever so slightly and when I moved a little more and took off up the hill and stopped after about 20 yards and looked back at me.
   And of course bow doc had an awesome dinner waiting for us back at camp.

JP

Offline JP Lucas

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Now it’s Sunday and headed for my stand at about 3:30 with more donuts. I remember smaller Chad told me to put satellite piles of donuts out to make the bears move and get them committed to the bait.
    There was nothing going on earlier except for squirrels of course.

Then at about 7:30 I see a bear coming from the top of the mountain down to the bait but he was really skittish and would not come any closer than about 40 yards. After 20 minutes or so he walked back from where he came. Then about 15 minutes later I catch a glimpse of a bear behind me and he starts working his way to where he was earlier. He didn’t cross my left side any closer than 30 yards. Once he made it up above the bait where he was earlier he made a decision to come closer to the bait and he was coming straight down the mountain to the bait. But he stops and sits down Just above the bait behind a bunch of small trees checking everything out. He is only about ten yards from the bait. He starts walking away from me but along a trail just above the bait. But he stops just a short ways and ends up walking back up the way he came the first time; up the mountain. I got to watch him circle down toward the lake. The ridge almost forms a bowl behind me and I eventually lost sight. Now its 8 o'clock and I’m sitting in my stand with my bow and arrow knocked. I hear a twig snap and thought, "oh it’s just another squirrel".   WRONG!   When I looked in behind and to the right I saw him about just coming out the thicket at 8 yards away. He would look up at me a few times but like the other times, he would stop look around and smell; again in no hurry. So finally he came to the bait sight and quickly ate the donut pile below the barrel. Once he was done with that he headed for the barrel and would not get anything out of it. There was something he didn’t like about the barrel. So he started to walk away but his hunger got the best of him. He headed for the pile behind the barrel and behind the tree. Once his head was covered with the tree I was able to stand up and get ready. Once he gave me the shot I wanted I told myself to calm the hell down. That was useless. Haha.  But I waited for him to go back to eating and smoked him!
   I watched that arrow go right behind the shoulder and disappear.
   He took off straight up the hill and he stopped in a little opening and fell over. He tried to bite the wound but then he started his death moan. At the same time I could hear he coughing and knew it was a lung shot. The death moan went for a good 20 seconds.
   I was about fell out of my stand, cause I was so excited. The feeling was indescribable! I then saw my arrow sticking in the ground covered with blood and could not believe I got a pass through.
    He only went about 40 yards up the hill. And I knew the shot was perfect at the moment of release.
    I ended up shooting him at 8:22 and could not stand sitting in that stand another second. I wanted the guys to come pick me up with the boat. But I didn’t want to leave early so I would not disturb anything. So I made till about 9:15 and made to the lake and sat on a log in the water and waited for about 30 minutes and finally I heard the boat coming.

I told Chad and Dwight that I killed bear and watched him go down. They were ready to go get him. So I got my arrow and made to the bear and could not believe how massive and beautiful this bear was. I figured he weighed about 190 but when we were draggin him I thought about 350. Haha. Defiantly not an easy drag.
    Yes for those of you that have hunted this stand I know it’s pretty much downhill but I promise it was terrible. Especially when we got to the logs that were over the marsh part by the lake! Then we had to get him in the boat then once we did and got Dwight and Chad in the boat the boat was beached. But I just pushed harder and we were finally on our way after about a 2 hour drag.
   Then we made it to camp and tom was the first to greet us and was so surprised. Then came everyone else and everyone was so nice and were congratulating me. They were saying it was over 250 lbs. but that didn’t matter to me. I was just happy to be done draggin him. And the fact that I killed a bear with a recurve.
    We the got him on the scales and I was blown away!!! I never would have guessed it.    275 lbs. !!!!

I couldn’t be more happy!
Then my dad decided not to say anything but Jay told me that my dad got one and that just topped off the night.
    What can I say, not a bad father's day after all!

Oh and cannot forget about the infamous draggin crew. Thanks guys.

Now the real work is starting.

Well it all would not have been possible without a couple of great people. I want to thank everyone at camp but mainly Tom, Bow Doc, and Zack for all the hard and long hours they put in getting bear quest ready. Tom was always doing something and always helping when you needed it. Same goes with Zack, he taught me a lot about baiting and about the bears. They do a fantastic job and are great people.
   And let’s face it bear quest would not be the same without Bow Doc. He makes sure food is always on the table and it’s the best food you could ask for. There is never a dull moment with Bow Doc in camp. If you weren’t eating you were laughing. Since I killed my bear the second night I got to spend a lot of time with Bow Doc and loved listening to all the awesome stories he had. But when joking was aside he was truly genuine.  
   All in all it was a great hunt. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

All thanks to my Dad!

And then on our days off Dwight, my Dad, and I went fishing. Zack and Jeff joined us on our last day of fishing. We were able to feed the camp with 15 guys for lunch with all the walleye and pike we caught and had some left over. We caught quit a lot of fish.

And LD, sorry bout the Tippet knife.   I can say it is sure a relly nice knife. Thanks Tippet.

JP

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: June 28, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©