3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: favorite hunting seat?  (Read 311 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
favorite hunting seat?
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I'd like to hear about your favorite hunting seat, pros and cons.

I've been hunting from the ground for a while with no seat at all, but my joints aren't what they used to be and I'm having some trouble staying comfortable enough to stay still.  I'm looking for a good packable seat to use this fall.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: favorite hunting seat?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
My favorite hunting seat does not exist.  It would be light, quiet, comfortable, durable, stable, adaptable/adjustable, and all biodegradable material (no plastic, just metal/wood/cloth) so that when I forget it in the woods, it will at least melt back into nature in something short of geologic time.

I have not found such a thing yet, so I usually just go with a folding stool.
Silence is golden.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Waldrop Pac Seat fits all your requirements.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I have not used it much, but I am planning on getting to know and use the Dean Torgues (?) seat.  My initial forays seem to show it will be light, easy to carry with my man purse and with practice quick and quiet to set up as long as there is a tree where I want to set up my ground blind.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
If you need a pack seat....you will NOT find a better one than the Waltrop IMO.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Terry,
I've looked at the waldrop, but it seems larger than necessary.  Do you find it awkward when moving through the brush?

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
You won't even know it's there-- sorry Terry, but I thought I'd chime in too. The more I use it the more I like it.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
My experience after one year using the Walteop is it is easy to use and hangs on the back hardly noticed.
One s,all mod. I recommend is to add to small post on the edge of the upper corners. I cut a 1 inch diameter aluminum pipe in half lengthwise and clamped it to the corners.
The result is to short post that a day pack hangs on neatly and is quickly removable.
I'm a big  old guy nd find it comfy but I do use a cushion to raise my butt 2 inches higher .
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Terry or Macbow can you tell me where I can check out this Waltrop?  I did a search on the internet and cant seem to find anything?  Thx
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Hello:
Suggest that you search on this Forum.  Mr. Waldrop does not have a website.  He can be reached and returns calls from both 706-561-7850, his home and 706-577-6495, his cell.  He's OUR sort of old-style & values person.  
Regards,
Kevin

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
It was listed on Asbell's site. Not there anymore though.    :dunno:

EDIT: Apparently question has been answered already
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117390

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
The Hunter's Smart Seat bar none. Check out the thread I posted - "Heading to Ray Hammonds for some Memorial Day Pork'. I talk about the seat there.

Here is the link.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=116978;p=3

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Gil, I will say that I checked out the Hunters smart seat and I actually like this idea/design.  It is much more inexpensive than the others and I really like he option of being able to setup at your own height.  At times being so close to the ground hinders your view of site and that little bit of elevation will make a huge difference.  Again I can see how it would be a preference to each person but I do think I am going to give this a try.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
It makes a very small package and takes up very little room in a day pack or fanny pack. It is very light also, yet when the seat and backrest are put up they are the right size and too comfortable.

It is nice being able to set it to your own height. That makes it very easy to stand if you have to.

In addition to a seat you don't have to carry a game drag with you. I bet the whole setup I have weighs less than a water bottle.

Here is the whole package in my fanny pack. That is how I wrapped it when I took it down at night hunting. I could have made it tighter and a smaller package.

There is the seat, backrest and large strap for single tree installations in the fanny pack. That is it. My game drag is nearly half that big.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
I use a 5 gal bucket covered w/armaflex to hold the noise down.

Hap

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I use a fold up 3 legged stool for turkeys?
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I have a Waldrop seat and can vouch for its quality construction. The one issue I have with it is noise as the weather gets colder. Because of that my Waldrop is used mostly around camp and I rely on my time tested 6 gallon bucket with a swivel seat when it is time to hunt. Everything else about the Waldrop is top notch; its construction, weight, portability...I just need to find a way to quiet it down.
Hope this helps,
Kevin

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I am still a firm believer on the Huntmore 360...It is so comfortable on my back since I had my L5-S1 repaired with hardware ...I tried several other seats/stools and found I wasted my money but when the 360 was developed I found my Forever seat...Not only does it feel comfortable Scott has sent me some newer hardware that he has found to quiet it down..Just recently I had a question for him as to something that was happening that I thought was caused by me and he told me he was sending me another part to try...I just wanted a suggestion and he went way above and beyond customer satisfaction...I did ask him another question and that was Could he make it in a recliner style ?  Whatever seat you get just make sure they treat you like Scott does with his Huntmore 360 swivel seat...Keefers <><

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Waltrop w pipeinsulation added with plastic pull ties!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Most comfortable for me by far has been the Millennium M300.

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©