3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsmanship  (Read 621 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsmanship
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Compass.  Don't know how to use a GPS, and I've never honestly seen anyone else who could make it work either.  But I can read a map and a compass and can navigate just fine.
Silence is golden.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Compass and topo.  I do use google earth some when scouting new places. Woodsmanship , i would say good but theres always room for improvement
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Chris Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I just take abow,arrows,knife,water and latest trad bow mag.
Chris Steele

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Map & compass here though I can see how a gps would be nice to log wallows. However, I choose to not use them for some very good reasons.

I stay with what requires me to use more of my head, less of my wallet, more of my fundamental skills.

I'd rate my woodmanship skills on a high level, night or day.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Usually carry a couple compasses on me at all times. Like somebody already said...batteries don't go dead in a compass!  I'm no Bear Grylls but I do alright!

Jason

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Compass and maps. Experience, knowledge and Skills are good and have avoided trouble in the outdoors. I have not needed a gps, but intend on getting one to locate way points when scouting new areas.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
My hunting area ranges from 58,000-10,000 acres and I use a compass in and out. Only got turned around once with a bad compass. I have two GS but not smart enough to use either.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Mostly compass, but I have a low level GPS I use to mark ground blinds to get to them in the dark as quietly as possible(though I still have not used it for that yet, built the blinds haven't returned yet).
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Used to use compass 100% now the Backtrack with the campass as backup 2 buttons, battery last for years.GPS to complitated and eats batteries.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
I am too cheap to by a GPS. I feel comfortable enough in the area I hunted in Northern Michigan to navigate mostly by landmarks, But here in North Georgia I have to have a compass

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
It depends on where I'm going, if I am headed to on of my stands within a mile or so of camp I bring a compass (sometimes).  If I am still hunting I usually drop my garmin in my pocket, I have camp marked as a waypoint and can get back easily if I need to.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Luckily I hunted in many states and have a thought or two.  Many places back east there were fences and roads on which to navigate.  I picked my hunting and stand locations off a grid and terrain navigated to them.  Out here a gps with extra batteries is a must.  We drive to a point, get out put on our packs and punch the truck location.  When you get on elk, they can lead you for miles and often I focus on them and getting close, not on where I am. Locate, close with and destroy, then where is that truck?  I have a very good idea, but the GPS confirms it.  You can follow the arrow or terrain slide so you are not packing straight up a hill just to drop down on the other side.  It also tells me how long I will be walking.  GPS is a good deal for western hunts.  Oh, i can use a map and compass after using them for years and teaching it.  The GPS is cheap insurance and saves my ancient knees and hips
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
In my home state of TX I use nothing.  In the mountains I use  gps.  Once I learn a mountain the gps is no big deal.  I use a couple gps's.  A Garmin 400t and a Garmin 450t.  They are super simple you don't even need a manual.  I find them invaluable when learning a new area.  Thet give me confidence to search out new spots w/o the fear of getting lost.  I can mark areas and then go home to a computer and plot them On google earth.  That's a huge plus when learning an area.  The backtrack feature is awesome for navigating after dark.  Also knowing how far you have gone or how much further you have to go is very handy info.  Knowing your elevation is awesome.  Just too many great features with a quality gps.  Battery life is long.  It has a battery life gauge so it's not like your batteries just die like a flashlight.  Just take more batteries for a long trip.  Use lithium batteries as they last much longer and weigh less.  Too many pulses with a good gps.  Don't get a basic one as they are hard to use.  Get a Garmin 450t.  It's like an iPhone.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
Compass always. Gonna try to learn how to use a gps this summer but will always have my compass. Woodsmanship skills...been at it for about 45 years and I'm still learning.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
We use GPS maps and compass always - we are excellent woodsman. Note we do not allow anyone hunting with us to not carry a gps - some for safety but definately for game recovery. We ALL will go immediately with any one of us who kills a hog or elk left way back in the woods because we KNOW where it is. I can remember the days back before gps where a guy could NOT find his dead elk and hey guys that ain't cool to drag your friends miles of hike and blow a hunt day so your buddies can watch you scratch your head. Just a few years ago I had a friend go back for a hog to bone dry empty ground ?!?!? took a few minutes and he got unturned around for a sucessful recovery BUT he carrys a gps now  :)
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
I have a compass attached to my GPS...with a piece of rawhide to remain trad.

I was hunting one time and smelled something that I thought was brake fluid or some kinda chemical from messing around with my truck. Got home and washed my pants good. Next time I went hunting the smell was still there. I tried for about a wk to find out where it was coming from and finally figured out my compass was leaking fluid.  Strong smell.

Got a new digital camera today and it's got a gps in it..can't figure the camera out much less the gps.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by elknutz:
Compass is kinda newfangled for me.  I like to wander around and look for moss on the northside of trees.  My woodsmanship is ok but I run out of food before I get home alot.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 03:13:00 AM »
Two compass's and topo map of area I'm in.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
I bought a GPS several years ago, it has sat on  a shelf in my shop for the last few years. I use a compass, and carry 2. I would rate my woodsmanship as very good. I carry an Asbell haversack almost always, and in it is enough "stuff" for a comfortabe stay in the woods.

I envy the freedom that men had way back....when guys like Daniel Boone would just disapear into the wilderness for a few years. I often think about what they accomplished with very little. A compass would have been a luxury for them. In many ways, technology has ruined us (funny, as I lament technology on a laptop)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
"I envy the freedom that men had way back....when guys like Daniel Boone would just disapear into the wilderness for a few years. I often think about what they accomplished with very little. A compass would have been a luxury for them. In many ways, technology has ruined us (funny, as I lament technology on a laptop)"

I'll bet they appreciated gunpowder "technology".

When it comes to hunting I'm big on challenge by choice.

I choose to be a minimalist and carry very little with me when I go to the woods other than a Silva  compass, a water bottle, and a couple granola bars tucked into the pocket of a wool shirt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©