3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever been REALLY lost out in the woods?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever been REALLY lost out in the woods?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Don't you love walking out on a road and taking that 50/50 gamble on which way the truck is?    :smileystooges:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Never!!! But I was confused as all get out for two days once.    :D  
:biglaugh:

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Good thread...I enjoyed reading it.  I never have gotten lost in Missouri.  Once at the Paradise club when I was a rookie I was to stay put while Tom moved a stand.  I got bored...and wandered.  I was in a a sort of dry swamp area on the  other side of a maiden cane field. I thought I only went about 30 yards but all the higher spots looked the same.  I could hear Tom as he came back and almost made it back without getting caught.  I got a good scolding but to tell the truth the hogs I heard had convinced me not to venture out alone.

Missouri has more land marks and you can hear traffic on the road etc.  I once wound up on the wrong side of a ditch and had to figure out to cross it.  You can... stand semis on end in the Missouri ditches, they are incredibly deep and very wide.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
Don't you love walking out on a road and taking that 50/50 gamble on which way the truck is?     :smileystooges:  
boy I've done that one a few times Gregg.   :rolleyes:

i had another experience on a late season hunt up in the Cascade mountains. We drove up to the snow line and kept going till it was about 6-8" deep and parked at some gated off logging roads. my partner took the road to the north and i took the south road. the weather was dicey and we knew more snow was coming, so we decided to just do an in and out road hunt. of course the road was nothing more than a winding path though the trees. it was a dry powder snow coming down like mist at first. you could ease along real slow without making a bit of noise, and lordy, it was beautiful up there.

i suppose I'd hiked a mile or so in a couple hours time. I had some fun flinging arrows at some rabbits but hadn't cut a fresh elk trail yet, when the light snow became seriously heavy snow. i continued on for another half hour after spotting some black tail deer not worrying about back tracking at all in 6" of snow.... it was only about 11 am when we left the main roads, so i knew i had 3-4 hours left till sun down.

then the wind started blowing and the temp dropped rapidly. it was kind of weird. The big snow flakes got smaller but it was coming down harder now and at about 45 degrees. Something told me i better reverse my travel and start back early. so i swapped ends and started back tracking. as an hour went by, visability got down to about 20 yards, and i noticed my tracks i made coming in were filling up rapidly. after another hour the snow was over a foot deep and there were no tracks at all. the wind was sending this stuff sideways so hard the drifts we over knee high across the road in spots too.

Then i got off the road somehow.... THAT made me nervous..... as the clouds thickend up and it snowed harder yet, it gave a false sundown effect that made viability even tougher. i had come into a big clearing and couldn't find the road out of it till i went chest deep in the snow in the ditch.... The wind had shifted a couple times already when the storm blew in, so i had to dig out my compass to figure out which end of the clearing had the road out..... my only comforting thought was that 30 pound pack on my back with everything but the kitchen sink in it for survival. I'm one of those guys everyone makes fun of for carrying such a heavy day pack. i keep a pack stove and lantern with me and enough freeze dried food to last 3 days. i also keep a water filter, first aid. a small tarp, AND an emergency blanket. i also keep a small road flair among other fire starting material and a quart of water in dry weather.... and i NEVER leave the road without my pack. No exceptions....

Even though having all this stuff can save your life, it's not all that fun trying to keep from freezing to death in what was closely resembling a blizzard. i've spent a few nights of primitive camping chasing elk before in the rain. you don't get much sleep, I'll tell you that.

Was i lost? Noooooooo.... i knew exactly where i was. Was i getting concerned about finding my way back to the truck? Most definitely.

I finally located the road i came in on as the wind let up a bit, and i was really glad to get back in the timber that provided some giude to where the road was. my problem now was the depth of the snow was well over my knees. i don't think I've ever seen snow pile up that fast before in my whole life. The snow drifts were part of it though. i was getting seriously tired and knew i still had a mile to go, so i fashioned a set of primitive snow shoes out of vine maple to help me stay on top of the snow better. i alway keep a hand full of plastic zip ties in my pack for building a quick structure or a primitive sled to drag game out on. these came in handy building snow shoes in a hurry.

i ended up getting out to the main road right at dark, totally exhausted. my hunting partner was sleeping in the truck with the heater going. Boy that sure felt good climbing into that cab.

That was one of those trips where a guy could vanish without a trace just walking on an old gravel road....

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Nope, never been lost, I can't say the same for my truck-it's been lost a couple of times.  But it was smart enough to stay put and let me find it.  Lesson learned, don't go into starnge woods and leave a trail of bright eyes-unless you're sure no one else has done the same thing.  So many of them, I thought I was surrounded by a pack of wolves!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
Don't you love walking out on a road and taking that 50/50 gamble on which way the truck is?     :smileystooges:  
I've done that twice and went the wrong way both times. Also have seen the same country a couple of times more than I wanted.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
I have prayed my way out of the woods more than times than most.  I am a master of map and compass.  Problem is I will be just walking around in the wood not paying attention with no terrain features visable.  Hard to do resection with in replanted fir forest.
Same here, land so flat there are no terrain features period. You just have to know which directions you need to get back to the road. I know about nav and pace ropes as my Dad taught me but that is really not practical outside the military.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
In most of where I live if you climb up you should be able to figure out where you are.  However, I've seen a lot of videos of woodlands back east or in Canada with little topographic relief and those places scare the jeebers out of me.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
I have never been lost (yet), but this morning I tried to find my GPS and IT is lost!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Was on the ocean once and a heavy fog rolled in.  I had no clue which way shore was when before I was able to see it. swells were picking up and our 16 foot aluminum was getting pretty small.

Good thing my buddy and guide knew what he was doing   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
an I thought I knew myself. Igot lost about 20 years ago.MY BODY broke out in a sweat like I have never expearanced before. I have not been lost since,A little turned around but not lost.My clothes were wet in less then 5 mins.Iam talking sox an all I was scared.all ended well after about 6 hrs I made it to a road an a pickup stopped an asked if I were lost, an I said yes how did you know he replyied I can tell by the look on your face.DONT panic like I DID iT COULD BE THE DIFFERANCE OF LIKE AN DEATH.when hunting in remote areas to this day I take a 1500yds ball of twine it weights less then 8 oz,when I shoot a deer I tie it to the base of my tree an start folling the blood trail.when I find my deer I tie it to the deer.calm down an regroup.I dont like or trust a GPS It dose not always work where I am.this method has NEVER let me down.P.S if your deer runs longer then 1500 yds you aint getting him anyhow.ED

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
I re-read the title of the thread so I would add to my previous statement:

NO.

disoriented due to heat exhaustion, yes but lost, no!    :cool:

Now NYC, well let's not go there..... ever....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Once in Wisconsin, I was sitting on a rock outcropping glassing across a wide bottom and saw a bear feeding.  The next day I went to that spot and found fences with tons of blackberries. I did not realize that I had crossed on to some American Indians land.  Three very polite guys with guns walked from behind me and asked what I was doing on their land, I apologized between mouthfuls of the blackberries and told them about the bear. One asked if the blackberries were good and I said "perfect". They said they were doing the same thing, looking for the berry stealing bear.  they wished me luck and spread out on the other side of the large patch. Later I saw the bear, leaving, I followed him.  He kept about 60 to 100 yards out for a long time. First it got cloudy and then the wind died and then it got dark, so dark I walked head first into trees.  Hours later I heard a truck engine breaking in the distance and headed for the sound, I finally found a road and started walking down it for a few miles.  
A guy stopped and I told him my story and he asked what was I driving. I told him a little green Courier pickup, he said that he passed it 5 miles back.  I must have hit the road within a hundred yards of where I parked and walked the wrong way.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
some threads just get better...up
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Not yet, but not because I am a particularly good woodsman.  I've been lucky, and or limited myself to known areas with major landmarks.  It's too easy to carry a gps these days, just in case.
Jim

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Hi!

My job is to teach people to find their way out in the woods, so usually I get around guite well - but once me and my buddy went out to do some bowfishing with lights (at night, that is  :)  ) and the place is sooo familiar to us - been there 100 + times... but this time there were guite a lot fog on the river and when we began to paddle to the hot spots ( some 500 meters from shore) our headlights just made all look like we were in this foggy bowl ( newer experienced nothing like it before, it was like this grayish wall all over where tou looked ) well - this did not slow us at all (we knew this place and we ARE the outdoorsmen, right ?) we paddle and paddle ( straight line away from our starting point, we assume) ... and finally out from the fog we can see ... the place we just left ... full circle - no glue how we did it - nice lesson: carry your compass ALLWAYS  with you!
It (mishap with your location)happens to you sooner or later and you just have to be cool with it - no panic - settle it down and think - when you figure it down - carry on.
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Never really LOST but I have been turned around a few times to the point that I was convinced my compass was wrong   :knot head: in any big mountain country it is easy to take a ridge down into a drainage and then catch another one to return on only to find out it ends up no where near where you came from. I did that once Mt goat hunting and it was a LONG day. Never had to spend the night out in the woods, but the older I get it seems that I have a diminished sense of direction  so I have to pay more attention of the direction and surroundings.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Plumber:
an I thought I knew myself. Igot lost about 20 years ago.MY BODY broke out in a sweat like I have never expearanced before. I have not been lost since,A little turned around but not lost.My clothes were wet in less then 5 mins.Iam talking sox an all I was scared.all ended well after about 6 hrs I made it to a road an a pickup stopped an asked if I were lost, an I said yes how did you know he replyied I can tell by the look on your face.DONT panic like I DID iT COULD BE THE DIFFERANCE OF LIKE AN DEATH.when hunting in remote areas to this day I take a 1500yds ball of twine it weights less then 8 oz,when I shoot a deer I tie it to the base of my tree an start folling the blood trail.when I find my deer I tie it to the deer.calm down an regroup.I dont like or trust a GPS It dose not always work where I am.this method has NEVER let me down.P.S if your deer runs longer then 1500 yds you aint getting him anyhow.ED
Thats a good idea on the thread

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
Never really lost but I do a ton of scouting, have maps, compass, gps. Still been turned around a few times, all the pine trees look the same and there is some big country where I hunt. I always have several ways to make fire and a bit of food. I also know if I ever really get lost in the mountains of CO if you follow a drainage down you will hit civilization eventually, might have to walk a little further than you planed but just keep going down and you will get out. I have stayed out overnight several times by choice because I got on elk and didnt want to go miles back to camp and have to start looking for them again the next day. (squirrell is mighty tasty cooked over a fire when your hungry)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Never totally  lost, I once got turned around but I new the road was to the south. unfortunately I was 2 miles from the truck when I got back to the road.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©