3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: *******ATTENTION ALL ARROW BUILDERS...National Contest DEADLINE APPROACHING*******  (Read 619 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been thinking of this idea for about a year now, and with a recent amount of free time on my hands (surgery) I was able to put together the parameters of a National Contest.

I am the President of the Michigan Longbow Association (MLA)      http://www.michiganlongbow.org/      and have met with the MLA General Council to discuss this contest, and get approval from the Council to move forward with this idea.  The MLA has had an arrow building contest for members of the MLA for the past 6 years and now, we would like to give the opportunity to those who don't have a place to display their works of art to do so.  There are so many wonderful arrow creations being crafted by each and everyone of you, and from what I have seen, each of you are capable of winning the contest.  DO you think you have what it takes?

I ran this idea by Terry Green, and he has allowed us to use Tradgang to promote the contest.  

The rules are simple, and are as follows...

Michigan Longbow Association's National Arrow Building Contest:

-Entry is free to MLA members ($15 annual dues), if not a member, there is a $20 entry fee.

-Entries must be 3 identical ANY material arrows tipped with any type of point.  (no judging will be done on sharpness of broadheads)

-NO displays will be allowed.  This is an arrow contest ONLY.

-Entries must be accompanied by an index card with a name, address and phone number of entrant on one side, and on the other side of the index card, the name of the arrows (like a piece of Art) and a description of the arrows so that all the judges know what work went into the build.  

-All entries MUST be in possession of a Michigan Longbow Association member by February 1st (unless you have bought a ticket to attend the Winter Banquet), to ensure that they will be here and brought to the Winter Banquet.

-Contest will take place at the annual MLA Winter Banquet (every February).

-Judging for the contest will be done by the attendees of the MLA Winter banquet.  Each banquet attendee is allowed 1 (one) vote.    Highest amount of votes wins, and then 2nd/3rd in order by votes.  All ties will be decided by the MLA Council.

-Prize...1st place-Custom Bark River knife; 2nd place-Great Northern strap on quiver; 3rd place-Embroidered possibles bag.  Along with bragging rights for 1 year (which is priceless). Each and EVERY contestant will receive a MLA T-shirt.

-All arrows become the property of the Michigan Longbow Association, and will be auctioned off at the Winter Banquet.  

-100% of the money raised from the Out-of-State, other than Michigan, entries (thru entry fees and auction totals) will be donated to the Professional Bowhunters Society to be earmarked and spent on the PBS Youth Hunt.

-If you would like to purchase your arrows at the auction, but are not able to attend, please include a note stating how much you are willing to bid and one of our Council Members will bid on your behalf up to the amount you have stated.

-At the conclusion of the contest, each and every entry will have a picture taken and posted on this thread.  Along with the announcement of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

This is your opportunity to shine in the National Spotlight, I think you all have what it takes, now show the rest of us that you do too.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OMG!!
I had no idea that I was talking with the President!!!   :eek:

This looks like a wonderful way to benefit the Association, arrow makers and archery. Whoever came up with the idea, NICE!!
Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike, I'm not an arrow builder but I play one on TV    :D    (It's an old video). This might get me to re-join MLA so I can go to the banquet and vote.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Good on you Mike. I'm in. I'll call you later.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Killdeer:
OMG!!
I had no idea that I was talking with the President!!!    :eek:  

This looks like a wonderful way to benefit the Association, arrow makers and archery. Whoever came up with the idea, NICE!!
Killdeer    :thumbsup:  
Watch it he has a secret service team!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by magnus:
 :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:   Good on you Mike. I'm in. I'll call you later.
Second and third place are still available...Ha Ha! This sound like fun. I have to hone my skills now.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:  Mike, great idea and well thought out!  :clapper:  

So many great things going on here:  promoting and funding the PBS youth hunt, promoting the MLA, giving a stage to showcase some wonderful artistry and artists, and giving us MLA members ANOTHER reason not to miss the winter banquest (as if the dessert contest weren't reason enough!).

Maybe you need surgery more often...  :dunno:
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
 :clapper:   Mike, great idea and well thought out!   :clapper:  

:

The praise goes to our Council.  I had the vision and collectively we all came together to form the rules.  Without the Council, this would not have been possible.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Now Tim there are so many great arrow smiths here and elsewhere including the guy who made this post that it's just fun to participate.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Matt, its all in fun, and I know Mike makes a slamming arrow that makes my work look kindergardenish. But its competition like this that makes us do some of the best work ever and it will benefit a lot of kids in the end. I look forward to competing against skilled arrowsmith's like you,Mike, and snag.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Good on you Mike for setting this up with the MLA.  And for it to be of benefit to the kids...well that's just too great.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I know Tim.    :thumbsup:  It'll be fun and helps a great cause. Thats all that matters.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Competition is always good and this sounds like a worthwhile one. Thanks council and Mike for putting this together. Always up for a challenge.    :thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
What does the man that says "I CAN'T" have in common with the man who says "I CAN"? They are both correct.

Never count yourself out. I always thought mine were good bucket fillers and marginal hunters at best. All it took was a little motivation from a couple good friends to get me thinking positively.

I'm hoping this will motivate others to say "I CAN".

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yes, this is a well thought out promotion and fundraiser for both the MLA (they do a great job with archery promotion and donations) and nationally for the PBS youth program which has a goal of training future traditional valued leaders. That's a win-win in my book.  :clapper:    :clapper:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
All 3 arrows have to match? Oh well, I'm still in...   :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gotta be more arrow guys out there that are interested...   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Great idea,   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Just might have to dust off the HomeMade Crester for this one!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©