3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF bow questions  (Read 362 times)

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF bow questions
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
I am kicking the idea around about buying an ILF bow.  I'm looking for some input on what some of you guys are shooting. And some opinions on what to buy. I know very little about this type of bow.

The ability to adjust the weight up or down 4 to 5 pounds is a nice feature, as would be diffrent grips. I normally shoot Black Widow recurves so I would want it as smooth drawing. I would want a 62- 64" bow, I draw 29". I hunt from the ground. And I find myself shooting more and more target archery/ 3d' these days.

Thanks for any info, Glen

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF bow questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Wood or metal?

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Got a real nice 17" Morrison high wrist ILF riser some days ago.Phenolic and Cocobolo.
Thats the best non metal ILF riser I ever had.
And there is a large choice of limbs. Cool!
I use 50#@ my draw longs (62" bow) for 3D and other fun with not so much arrows in quick succession. And some cheap Korean 40# extra longs (64" bow)  for target shooting.
Its really nice to be that flexible.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I find myself shooting my ILF bow more and more. I like the fact that you can adjust the tiller to your style of shooting and being able to set the weight as well as the stacking point is a real +. As far as limbs go, you can buy a set for under $100 or as much as you want. I will say the Dryad statics are my favorite. I too draw 29" and can get away with a 17" riser and medium Dryad recurves for a 60" bow. In non static limbs I prefer long limbs though. One great aspect is you can go from recurve limbs to longbow limbs on the same riser...

IMHO the ILF set-up is the AR-15 platform of archery (very modular)

If you're interested, I have a 17" Morrison Gen 2 riser listed in the classifieds.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I'be had my Morrison Gen II for about two weeks now and love it.  Much quieter than I was expecting and dead on accurate.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I want a metal riser.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I'd seriously look into the Titan II riser in 17" or 19". BF Exteme limbs or Dryad limbs, either one.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I have a 15" morrison riser with TT limbs, that I like a lot!!!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I like a wood riser, but the aluminum one work well. I had a couple of Morrison's and then got a Zipper 17" Standard. I no longer have the Morrison's. The Zipper started out with TT longbow limbs, then I got some TT wood/carbon recurve limbs and they worked well. Got a deal on a pair of TT Back max shorts and I was really pleased. But then I saw a pair of Dyrad Long Static tip recurve limbs, clear glass over dirty boo. I have found the perfect match. Makes a 62" bow, 36-40# maxed out they are 42# at 29", smooth ,almost silent with wool puffs and they have great speed for the poundage. For me I have found a combo that is just what I was looking for. Good luck in your search......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I draw 29"s same as you.I shoot mostly 17" risers with medium limbs.That combo makes a pretty nice setup and real smooth.But you can get a little smoother with a 19" riser.Morrison G3 riser and the trad tech titan and titan3 have really good recurve geometry.Dont get to caught up in the weight adjustment part of ILF.You want a set of limbs that can be adjusted to stack just past your draw length.This will give you your best performance.There are so many options with ILF that it can get a little addictive.One set of limbs and a riser can turn into six or seven sets of limbs and risers before you know it.Good Luck.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
I agree with reddogge.  The Titan is the cream of the crop.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
hoyt buffalo
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
I too have gone all in for the metal riser ILF setups and have had several.I love the ability to tinker and fine tune all my equipment and nothing is better suited to this than the ILF rigs. I currently shoot a TT Titan with TT Samick Carbon Master Long bow limbs and it is sweet. Accurate,quiet,fast etc. and that with limbs adjustable from #40-44. Some of the others I own or have sold are the Das elite, Dalaa 17", Sky 15", Morrison gen 2, TAC firefly, with limbs as follows; Winnex, Dalaa, Dryad x 2, sky, and TT carbon masters. Liked then all but the one again I've settled on is the 17" TT Titan riser and TT Samick carbon master LB limbs. With this I shoot carbon arrows from 560 gr to 470 grains from 160-175 fps set at #42. Other than the Dalaa everything else has been purchased used off the classifieds. Good luck in your quest.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
I got into the ILF world by finding a used Hoyt Excel riser at 21", and a set of long limbs.  This made a 66" bow, which is just about perfect for me with my 30.5" draw.  With a 21" riser, you could get a 62-66" bow, depending on limbs.  I fully plan on using this rig to hunt from the ground with once i get to my next duty station (Guam) and get settled in.  Hope this helps.
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
What I like most about the platform has less to do with the adjustability, and more to do with having a riser that fits me that I can swap limbs on. Can use different length and weight recurve and/or longbow limbs, without breaking the bank.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
All I've shot for the last few years.  Can't beet them for tuning, I shoot an elevated rest with vanes and it really lays them in there.  Also you can get new limbs with just a few seconds online and have them by the end of the week!

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
I love mine iv got a sky tdx I feel it's the best one iv shot so far the main limbs I use are samick extreams  med  and is smooth as slik for 63#@29"
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I am loving my Morrison ILF, got the newer metal model.  Smoothest pulling bow I own and easiest to shoot, Hoyt G3 limbs and plunger.  The limbs are longs and they are set on the lightest weight which takes a lot preload out of the bow at draw height by deflexing the limbs.  It makes for a buttery smooth gain in weight all the way back.  Just unbelievably easy to pull back.  I've never been a fan of bows with really high tension at brace.  My other bows are collecting dust.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I draw 32" with a 17" Titan riser and Winex long limbs. It makes for a 62" bow, but if I wanted to go 64" I'd opt for the new 19" Titan.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©