3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail camera weather protection  (Read 920 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trail camera weather protection
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
I just got a new Moultri and it says it has a weather resistant case.  If it starts raining, am I going to be buying a new camera, or should I plan on trying to protect it when it is sitting alone in the woods.  Any input and/or experience would be helpful.  Thanks

jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail camera weather protection
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I bought a Bushnell last summer and I really had a ball looking at wildlife pictures on it. But back to your question, I think just about all the game cams are made to be left out in the weather. The cases are pretty water tight and I know mine stayed dry even though it has been in the woods for over four months through some pretty bad rains.

I have seen guys build a simple rain shield to protect the camera and lens. I started working on an ammo can for my camera for both protection and security but I put the camera in the woods before I got the box finished. This was what I was working on...

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Thats nice Frank!

If the camera will fit into the top of a 5 gallon plastic bucket you can cut the bucket in half and attach around the camera with a rope or bungees to slits cut in the bucket sides.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Used my new Wildview 2 Extreme a week or two ago and it rained for two days straight on it.  No problems other than seeing rain drops on the pictures it took which were pretty good.  It was down to about 29 degrees and it says it is rated down to 14 degrees.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the info and suggestions.  My patience my run out soon and I might end up braving the elements in the meantime while I make a sheild of some kind.  Thanks again

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
I use a 5 qt ice cream pail. Take the handle off. cut the pail in half so you get 2 half moon shape pieces, spray paint black, nail one to the tree with roofing nail and mount camera under it.  One Ice cream pail, two rain shelters, no rain drops on the lens.  If you don't hammer home the nails you can pull them and use the shelter over on another tree.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
The shield may help keeping the water droplets off the lens or you could cut out a plastic milk jug and glue that to the case just above the lens like liquid nail works well.
  Even with the shield over your camera it is still only water resistant by definition not water prof,I would guess for legal reasons thats why your camera is called resistant. If the cover gives you comfort by all means use it but I'm sure it is not necessary under normal conditions. Good Luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©