3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I finally get it! Big hog down!  (Read 623 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
I finally get it! Big hog down!
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
As I prepared for this hunt I thought I had everything planned out.  I did not account for my outfitters significant other being injured the week of my hunt.  So begins the odyssey.  I originally planned to hunt early in the week because my family and I were spending the week in Sarasota and because I had never been hog hunting before I figured it would be a great way to prevent me from losing my sanity laying on the beach all week.  Bawana Bowman was a huge help in the logistical department, thanks again Hal.  Anyway different arrangements had to be made once I found out after arriving in florida that my original outfitter would be a no show.  I hurriedly contacted a number of other outfits and ended up with Matt at west coast outfitters.  They have a large concession close to new smyrna beach with spartan but comfortable accomadations and a good bunch of guys.  I got settled in for a sleepless night on thursday and rolled out of bed at five.  After a quick bite we were off to the woods.  As we neared an access road we saw a number of small pigs, none of which appeared to be shooters.  I had made it clear to Matt I wanted to strictly spot and stalk so this was modus operandi for the rest of the hunt.  As we slowly made our way through the property we heard a number of snorts and squeals and even jumped three pretty nice hogs out from under our feet.  The palmettos erupted about three feet from where I was standing and I think we all needed a change of shorts after that.  We concentrated on one area where it seems someone was holding a pig party only I dont think we were invited.  We got extremely close to a palmetto flat on the downwind side and I picked what I felt was a likely ambush spot as my guide matt made his way slowly through the palmettos.  I believe they winded him or heard his approach and they (the pigs having the party) came out of there like their tails were on fire and their butts were a catchin!  I drew anchored and shot exactly where one of the pigs was a half second before my arrow got there and cleanly missed. Turns out you have to practice those things like running shots!  Apparently I did not get that memo.  Elvis left the building and we gave chase, keeping tabs on their activity by listening to sounds of the party.  Apparently his girl was in heat and he was going to make the best of it whether we were there or not and pretty soon they were back to business.  We got close again only to be winded and flat busted.  Down but not out we made note of the direction the pig traveled and could see him making his way down a fence row a few hundred yards away.  After a meeting of a couple of very small minds, (ours, not the pigs)  my guide and I decided to spot and ambush instead.  I found a likely spot and he took off for the hills in an attempt to see if he could steer him back in my direction.  After about a half hour of me repeating multiple times that this will never work I was proven wrong.  The hog had reversed direction and was making his way back towards me.  Just as he got within range I vaguely remember drawing and releasing but not a single thing crossed my mind about anchor, back tension, sight picture, pick a spot, NOTHING!  In one fluid motion I watched my muzzy phantom tipped gold tip trad bury itself just behind the right shoulder of the hog.  I was surpised to see so much shaft sticking out as the hog ran off. I shot a bear this time last year and blew completely through with the same set up.  These guys are tough! The hog ran approximately a hundred and fifty yards before laying up and expiring. Thinking back I guess it was cheating a little by having the guide try to steer my hog back towards me so that I could get a shot but with one day to hunt and enduring two to three inches of rain an hour, yeah you read that right, an hour, I was willing to try anything. Fortunately it did clear up a little and we were able to take some decent pictures.  I made reference to the fact in the thread title that I finally get it.  That is because for four almost five years I have been practicing week after week, going through and analyzing my entire shot process, form etc and in one fell swoop it all came together with me not thinking, just acting completely instinctively and it was almost like I willed the arrow to  that exact spot!  I was honestly just as happy about the shot that I made as the hog that I killed.  It finally came together and man did it feel good!  And lastly I cannot believe how cagey these animals are. Very difficult to get close to and a great diversion in the off season.  I think I need more horsepower the next time around though.  I thought I made what I felt was a great shot for once and I didnt even come close to a pass through.  My arrow made it through one lung and halfway through the second and I am shooting a six hundred grain 55/75 gold tip trad tipped with a KME sharpened muzzy phantom out of a 53@28 Hill Country Wildcat.  At my draw pullin apprx 56 or 57 lbs.  The shield on this hog was over an inch thick!  I also used my new stalking quiver from JHawk,  thanks Sam!  It worked great too.  Overall I could not be more pleased and just thought I would share.  So much frustration over the years trying to put it all together that when it does happen you just gotta shout it from the mountain top! Picture forthcoming thanks to Master Mudd

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I finally get it! Big hog down!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Congrats and great story. It's great to hear how it came together for you.
Also, love to see a pic of your hunt.   :clapper:

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Good job, can't wait to see the pics.  :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
NICE!  Get those pics up!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
Way to go . Thats too cool.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Way too cool
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Wow,what a hunt! Thanks for the ride.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Where's the pork?

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Matt,
Was really glad to have helped you with this hunt.
Sorry the original plans were changed at the last minute and the scramble for an alternate ensued. But it appears all worked out well and you got your Hog. And a rather nice one at that!! I won't give any stats on the hog, waiting to see pics.
But I'm sure after what you said on the phone this is a memorable first hog!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
I posted late last night and I will bet Mudd is at church right now. Picture to go with the story will be forthcoming.  Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Cool. Looking forward to some pics!
Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :jumper:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Nice shooting    :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Great hog... But WHERE'S the hat???? :-)
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Nice looking hog and good shooting.  Trying to punch an arrow through the shield of a hog can be an eye opener.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Great animal. Ya done good!  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
:clapper:
>>>------John------>

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Way to go Matt! Nice hog! I believe you really do get it! Thanks for the story & pics. Ain't this pig hunting fun stuff?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©