3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First time having a real tuning issue.  (Read 170 times)

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
First time having a real tuning issue.
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Here is my problem, I have a 60" Lost nation custom (an heirloom from my late father, was made by Ray Grenier over 10 years ago).  It draws 47#@28 and a take down.  15 strand B-50 string)

The arrows that came with it are the ones my father used and he took game with this bow.  They came with full length 35/55 with 175 up front.  They won't shoot for me because I draw 30 1/4 inches. So initially I thought the spine is too weak (they showed left on release, and just general poor flight porposing).

The nock height when I got the bow was 3/4 of an inch above shelf, which struck me as really odd.  I adjusted the nock height up and down and  I've messed with brace height, arrow spines (up and down) weight points ranging from 100-300, bare tuning (the bow kicks arrows left whether weak or stiff, which I though was odd)

I can't get an arrow to fly consistently from this bow, if I short draw it they will fly decent (roughly 26-27 inch draw) but beyond that I get very erradic flight, as well as consistent kicking left issues.

I know form alway's plays a role in arrow tuning, but I've never had issue with any other bow, then again could this just be an extremely critical bow for form?  I'm just lost.

I would really like to figure this bow out, as it's special to me.  But I'm completely lost at this point, and have never had issue tuning a bow to an arrow. (I've tried bare/3 fletch/4fletch).

Any suggestions, or questions on this topic.  Or any specifics I can clarify more let me know.  I'll be out for a bit but will be back late tonight to respond, hopefully I can figure this out.  Thank you in advance.
1Peter 5:6,7

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First time having a real tuning issue.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
May have some finger pinch at that draw.  Might affect your release?

Did he shoot 3 under? How about you?

Just throwin some stuff out....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Sure sounds like a weak spine thing. Ha e you tried a stiffer arrow?
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

Offline ryguy24000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Is that bow a recurve?

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
We have a trad shoot at Watanic on Saturday. You should bring the bow.
When Ray owned Lost Nation he was making some nice bows.Never shot one but I got to see them in the shop.

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay, hav'nt been able to get online for a few days.  Thanks for the response guys I'll try to catch up.

He shot split finger, I have tried stiffer arrows I've gone to a 340, with various weights and I still am not getting consistent flight.  After bare tuning and the 400's and 2117 were showing weak, I went to a a few different 340 and they kicked left as well.  That's when I realized something in my form or the bow is kicking all arrows left, even ones way too stiff for the bow.

The bow is a recurve and I'm shooting right handed, I may have left that out.  

Barebow17 is the shoot open to the public?  I've never gone to a 3d shoot. (well maybe once if I recall when I was about 7)
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
I sent you a pm on the shoots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©