3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradgedy struck today!  (Read 951 times)

Tradgedy struck today!
« on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
I went out to shoot the 3D shoot at Austin Archery Club today. There was quite a few trad shooters and it was a beautiful morning. I pulled my longbow out first and shot the course with a couple others and had a great time. I shot well and decided to get my recurve out and shoot a second round. We walked up to target number 1 and another group of trad guys was shooting at target 30 just a few yards down the road. I walked down to talk to a few friends and see how their day was going. While standing there along the side of the road, a pick-up truck came driving down the road to exit the range. As he passed by us I felt my bow tick against his truck. Before I could even react, the bottom limb tip somehow got wedged in the small gap between the cab and the bed of the pick-up and he was dragging me down the road. I yelled and he stopped but it was too late. The damage had been done and the fiberglass in the curve of the bottom limb had been cracked. OMG!!!!!! I could not believe this. I have stood on that road and watched 1000 or more cars go by me over the years and have never even suspected that this scenario could have ever happened. This was not his fault (he was a friend of mine) nor mine really. I think it was just one of those freaky things that happens sometimes.

Oh well, I have a REALLY good friend of mine who is a bow builder and I'm sure he will fix me up with a new set of limbs. The problem is that it really takes a long time to become one with a bow and train it to do what you want it to.

I think I will go cry now!

Bisch

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradgedy struck today!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Bummer!   :(
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Sorry Bisch.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to see that what a freak accident.

Eric

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Better the bow than you getting hurt....you are all right.....?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
sorry about that ,my brother inlaw dropped his tree stand on his bow one time and the damage looked a lot worse then yours, and we put some super glue and a little sanding of the glass and he's still shooting it today  and that's been several years now ,good luck gib

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gib:
sorry about that ,my brother inlaw dropped his tree stand on his bow one time and the damage looked a lot worse then yours, and we put some super glue and a little sanding of the glass and he's still shooting it today  and that's been several years now ,good luck gib
I actuall thought about putting a bit of epoxy on it and wrapping it with sinew like you would on a selfbow. It would eithr hold or break......one of the two.

Bisch

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
I was there and saw it happen. Almost in slow motion. I saw the truck slowly driving past us and Jerry's bow near the truck. Then, Bisch must have turned slightly or backed up an inch or so. All of the sudden the bow is wedged between the cab and the bed and Bisch is being drug down the dirt road a few feet.

Where is the you tube camera when you need it?

It would have been funny but not when it happens to a good guy like Bisch.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raging Water:
I was there and saw it happen. Almost in slow motion. I saw the truck slowly driving past us and Jerry's bow near the truck. Then, Bisch must have turned slightly or backed up an inch or so. All of the sudden the bow is wedged between the cab and the bed and Bisch is being drug down the dirt road a few feet.

Where is the you tube camera when you need it?

It would have been funny but not when it happens to a good guy like Bisch.

Matt
Thanks Matt, but I don't think I would wish this on my enemy. The only way this could have been funny is if my bow had not been hurt in the process.

Bisch

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
I don't remember what super glue it was ,and i think it was Gary davis of Rattle stick self bows that told me to use the super glue ,he said it gets into the cracks alot better? but i'm no bow maker so i wouldn't know? But it worked on bro inlaws and is still holding . again good luck gib

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
sorry to hear of your mishap!  Hope you can either get it fixed or adapt to a new set of limbs. Good luck!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Kwick It Red from 3Rivers
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Bisch I am so very glad that you weren't hurt.

Butch and I did a homemade repair on a bow years ago using superglue then wrapping with sinew. Then we wrapped the opposite limb in the same spot just to balance out the bow and the bow is still shooting.

God's grace and peace, Mudd

PS: BTW the bowyer told me that to bow was beyond repair.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
What a piece of bad luck Bisch!  Hope it is an easy fix!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
glad that you were not hurt....but  happenings like this,  show us  just how fast,things in ths fragile life, can "change"......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
You were there for me bro when my riser blew two weeks ago, and I was there to share your loss today.  It's a sick, sick feeling when something happens to one of our top bows.  I hate to see this happen to anybody's bow, but that bow and you have won a lot of first's in recurve classes this year....made me sick when it happened.

All I can say is I'm really glad with the IBO World's next month that it wasn't your longbow.  You get a hold of Bob yet?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Ouch, but atleast you walked away from it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Bisch,

Man I hate to hear about the accident with you and your bow!  That just is the worst.  

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Way bum luck Bisch! Hate to lose a good bow!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Sorry that happened man. Hopefully you'll get struck with some good luck next. Crazy how fast a good time can go bad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©