3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Hunters - questions?  (Read 473 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand Hunters - questions?
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I have always hunted whitetails from a treestand and I was a long time compound shooter.  I always preferred the shortest bow I could find.  Most were 28 -32".  So switching to trad equipment has changed a few things.....

After hunting a full season with a recurve I decided I needed to make some changes.  My bow was 62" long and my treestand was a lone wolf sit and climb.  I found that the seat portion was so high that it obstructed a number of my "normal" shooting lanes.

I was thinking I needed to make two changes

1) get a shorter bow
2) get a diff seat for treestand

I think LW is going to fix one for me with their new seat design, but the bow is a different story.

I have been trying shorter bows and I really don't shoot them as well.  

Now for my question - do you really notice a difference between 56" and 62" in a treestand?  When you are used to 30" I am thinking both will be VERY long.  However for you guys used to "long" bows can you really notice a difference?

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Hunters - questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Just get the hand climber seat and you can shoot just about any bow you want .
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I pretty much only hunt out of lock-ons.  Don't have any issues with shooting

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I shoot a 65" Osage Selfbow.  (I used to shoot compound, years ago)  I've never had any problems shooting out of a treestand.  I use a Chippawa Wedge Lock.  You just need to practice in your stand, until you are confident that you can make the shot you want.  It does take some getting used with the longer limbs.  But with enough practice, you'll be suprised how it becomes an extension of your Bow Arm.  You'll eventually get to where it won't make a difference as to what length bow you use.
You'd be suprised as to how many in an IBEP Course have the same concerns.  Sometimes I even have to shoot out of the treestand to get the point across.  I let them set the target and I try to shoot the correct spot for them.
Good luck.
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I cant shoot short bows very well either. I hunt from a summit
Open shot with 64" and 66" bows without any problems. I do have to pick my shots and set my stand for the shot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I cannot say enough good about the Two Tracks Ambush bow.  It is 50", and a real powerhouse.  If I were you, I'd look at every option.

I cannot say anything about the treestand, I hunt exclusively from the ground.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I shoot from the same stands as when I used to shoot compounds and firearms. I just had to practice in the backyard and learn to adjust. I have shot small game and whitetails from an API climber, Summit Climber, Tree Lounge with bowhunting adapter and various loc-on type hang on stands. I only had one problem ever when I forgot about a bow holder on one of my stands. Makes a lot of noise!

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Shot a 62" L.B. last year.I use a hang on tree stand with a flip up seat.Try drawing your bow at different positions to make sure you have clearance with all limbs.Shoot standing up with the seat flipped back.   :archer2:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
My stands were hunted with compounds through 2009 as well.

I wouldn't compromise the bow. I hunted with a 62" Habu recurve last season with no issues. I have to check clearance for all windows. The biggest thing I have to watch for is the bottom of the stand.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I cant stand climbers myself. With small hang on stands I hunt anywhere without restriction. Nothing against the climber guys, this is just ME!
 I shoot 64" to 70" recurves out of the nastiest trees you will see.
If you are used to short bows, of course you will notice a difference, but you can easily adapt if you like the performance of longer bows.
There are plenty of short trad bows out there of the highest quality if longer bows are not for you.
David M. Conroy

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
The hand climber top will help. Other than that, you just need to setup and position your stand accordingly.

90% of the time if the shot cannot be made with a 64", it can't be made with a 58".  IMO, confidence in your bow with a few lost opportunities (maybe) is the way to go. Don't ponder on what ifs, go with the bow you are most confident in.

I just switched from a 56" recurve to a 62" longbow because I just plain shoot it better.

Good Luck!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Had the same problems, used the climber for many years with c-bow, but hit the bar twice with recurve and lost two deer. Went out and bought seven lock-ons this winter. Between them and ground stands, my luck should change. Remember to practice out of whatever stand you chose.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I use a Lone Wolf hand climber.  Have been shooting 64-inch ACS longbows out of it for years, and 66-inch longbows out of it before that.  No problem.   I set my stand to give me a shot to the left (I'm a right hand shooter) or out in front of me.  Usually shoot sitting.  If I get a shot on the right, I usually need to pivot and stand.  It is more difficult to try to reach/lean out and shoot behind or along side the tree to the hunter's back, when compared to a compound I suppose, but I've done that on a few occasions as well.  Haven't found bow length to be a limiting factor.  Just need to practice from different positions. Good luck.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
My climber is a Summit Viper. I put a ratchet strap around the top section and get it tight against the tree so I can lean over it to shoot. This helps for awkward shots and straight on. A ratchet on the top section of the LW might help.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I use a Summit Bushmaster, like the viper but without the shooting rail.  no problems with obstructing my shots.  I will add that I set my harness anchor high so that there is always a little pressure pulling on my back, it lets me feel comfortable leaning out a bit.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Magnum in Ms:
Just get the hand climber seat and you can shoot just about any bow you want .
X-2...I shoot 64" recurve out of my Lone Wolf Hand Climber just as easy as my loc-on stands.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Wow - thanks for the replies.

The LW sit and climb seat gets the stand really high (you sit done in the seat).  I will check out the hand climber, but has anyone seen the new LW seat? Looks like it would work like a lock on but is a climber.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by pamike:
Wow - thanks for the replies.

The LW sit and climb seat gets the stand really high (you sit done in the seat).  I will check out the hand climber, but has anyone seen the new LW seat? Looks like it would work like a lock on but is a climber.
Buy a replacement Gorilla seat, the thick one.  That's about as comfortable as you can make a little stand.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I've never had a problem with bows up to 62 inches out of any stand. Pop up blinds are a different issue. Even with my lone wolf climber I had no issues. Maybe ya gotta setup your stand slightly differently.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
I am sure it takes some time to figure out how to work with this bow length.  I think I need a tree in my back yard to practice.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©