3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Hunters - questions?  (Read 472 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Hunters - questions?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Green Mtn Boy nailed it at the bottom of page 1..... use a small lock on stand and put your tether high on the tree. You can make any shot needed and lean out against your harness. Nothing is in your way and with the small 20" X 24" stands nothing is in your peripheral vision, when looking down around your stand it is almost as if you are not even on a stand.

When we do hunt out of our Summit Vipers we set the top half as low as possible so the wrap around bar is low and out of the way. I also got rid of the stock seat and switched to the net seat that slides out of the way when you stand. When sitting on the net seat you are sitting very high in the top part of the Viper stand and makes it very easy to stand quickly and SILENT. Also shaved a couple of pounds off too.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Have shot bows up to 66" from stands, even sitting with the 66" bow.  

I would shoot the bow you are most confident with and adjust the stand by going hand climber as an example.

Like many have said - practice
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
NoCams makes a good point about the net seat. I have one on and old Summit open front with the short side rails..still to long for me. Makes the stand a lot lighter though. But you don't have to have a net seat to sit high in your climbers. Just adjust the seat straps so the  seat is level.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I'd change my treestand before I would chance compromising my accuracy by using a shorter bow. If you shoot better with a longer bow, adapt the stand to the bow, not the bow to the stand. Good luck.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I made the transition from compound to traditional tackle, 15 years ago.  Took me little while to get used to the "long" bows to hunt with.  but in short time was shooting animals from my hang on stands with 68" longbow no issues.  Now love to hunt on the ground.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I have the same lone wolf you do and shoot my 64" longbows out of them, I usually limit my shots to my left and straight foward, I'm a right handed shooter.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Gotta learn to cant that bow.  Some times more than other times.  Best bet is to practice a bunch from in your stand and learn what you can do and what you can't.  Then, as stated above,  set your stand so that you can almost call the shots.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©