3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cost of making your own arrows  (Read 897 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Cost of making your own arrows
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
So after the Barta thread,  I looked more closely at making my own arrows or ordering them. I spoke with 3 of the arrow making sponsors here, and for the arrows I want I can get them custom for about the same as the Bartas cut and points installed.
Now as a general cost I found it would cost me  about 65$ to make my own, and that's cedar arrows. So it's about a savings of $35 . Does this sound correct to you who make your own arrows ?
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost of making your own arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Cedars or other woodies: About $35/dozen
Nocks: $1.50
Feathers: $16
Field points: $4
So, after you have a fletching tool, hot melt, fletch glue and a tapering tool, they will cost about $55 by my figures. If you buy in bulk, cost would be less, but probably still about $50/dozen for woodies.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
When I made my own arrows it was for the fun of it and knowing the arrows were perfect. It is easy to spend more making your own if you don't watch it.

Interestingly, I also find it much more difficult to deal with a lost arrow if it is one I made than just bought.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Cedars or other woodies: About $35/dozen
Nocks: $1.50
Feathers: $16
Field points: $4
So, after you have a fletching tool, hot melt, fletch glue and a tapering tool, they will cost about $55 by my figures. If you buy in bulk, cost would be less, but probably still about $50/dozen for woodies.
Don't forget stain, paint, clearcoat, steelwool, brushes, sandpaper...it all adds up.  He's not to far off on the price when he says $65, if not a little more.  Sure buying in bulk saves, but what...maybe $1 a shaft.  The guys who do this to make money are doing it for the love of the sport.  We haven't even touched on the time involved or shipping either.  

In my opinion, if you can get a dozen custom made woodies for $125, you had better jump on it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Buying arrows, not a bad thing. Learning to make your own, getting the proper tools, brushes, paints, taper tools and having the time, not a bad investment in the future. Making your own and watching it go into the 10 ring or thru the chest of a game animal.........priceless!!!!    :thumbsup:      :notworthy:   And a lot of fun to!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
It is expensive making your own, if your just making them to save money it is not worth your time but if you are making them as a hobby it's priceless and a ton of fun.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Haven't figured in the price of a fletcher, grain scale or spine tester. IMO, you can't make well matched arrows without a grain scale and spine tester.  Your first couple of dozen arrows are likely to cost a lot more than you expect, but amortizing the arrow building equipment over your lifetime, they'll get a lot cheaper.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Buying arrows, not a bad thing. Learning to make your own, getting the proper tools, brushes, paints, taper tools and having the time, not a bad investment in the future. Making your own and watching it go into the 10 ring or thru the chest of a game animal.........priceless!!!!     :thumbsup:        :notworthy:    And a lot of fun to!!
If you enjoy it it's worth it. If you don't have the time or patients buying starts to look cheap. You gotta admire those who do it for the prices they do it at I'd charge 4 times what they do. I do like to make my own in the winter.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
I agree with everything above, initial investment is a lot more than 1 dozen good arrows but making them yourself is more than worth the cost...
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
A feather burner is nice to have, then you can make any size ,shape, LW or RW. A spine tester is the best $100 I've spent for making arrows.

Making your own and watching it go into the 10 ring or thru the chest of a game animal.........priceless!!!!   And a lot of fun to!!
yea Buddy!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
For $35 more, I would think just order them
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I'm sure I'd love to make them eventually, but as of now with two little ones, wife, work , church, volunteering, finishing my bachelors, ( I procrastinated 12 years)  I'm trying to decide if I'd have the time.
How long do you think it takes you to make a doz arrows no creasting , just stain and seal, fletch.?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
When I make them, I wait 24 hrs between steps.  Not because it needs that long (doesn't hurt though), but because it is my way to slow me down.  There should not be any rushed jobs when making hunting arrows.  Why no cresting?  Get some sharpie markers and dress them up a little.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
No cresting simply because I like the looks of the bare bones wood arrow. No I do admire the artworks I have seen, but I like that simple look of 2 white feathers, one barred. White nocks

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
I can make a Doz. Cedars, stained, cleared, fletched, taper both ends for nocks and points in about 2 1/2 hours. I use clear lacquer from a spray can and I crest with magic markers and paint pens, they don't look bad either......I get my shafts from whoever has a deal at the time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Your first set will cost well north of $100 when you account for the various tools, etc.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
It's all about enjoying the process friend.

I hear a lot of guys tell me that they save a ton of money hunting deer, and eating the meat.

When you figure in time invested, camo clothing, ammunition or arrows, deer stands, gas to hunt, etc etc etc... it's cheaper to buy Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon from the grocery store.

But not near as enjoyable or fulfilling. ;-p
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
i am very grateful that i stumbled across this website.

seems like most everyone here gets it.

joe

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I don't know how much my arrows cost.  I own a bunch of shafts, feathers, nocks, feather burner, taper tools, spine tester, choppers, cresting jig, fletching jigs, glues, points, and broadheads.  Much of those supplies and equipment I have purchased here from the classifieds.  I enjoy the experience that comes with making my own arrows--especially in the winter when the snow is 4 or 5 feet deep outside my home.  I really like killing animals with those homemade arrows.  I have a few new dozen to take to the Colorado Traditional Archers Society High Country Shoot next weekend.  I always lose and break quite a few arrows at the shoots like that.  I tell those shooting with me that for every lost or broken shaft I have, I just get to go home and make some new ones.  If you really enjoy it, you don't worry about the cost.

Mike

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
It is usually a little less expensive to make your own arrows but the results are priceless!
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©