3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: point weight change and wood arrow spine  (Read 142 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
point weight change and wood arrow spine
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I was wondering what others experience has been concerning this subject. For example, say an arrow weighing 550 grs. spined 50-55#, 30"s long with a 125 gr. point flies well from a 53# @29" Hill style longbow. How much heavier spine would be called for to shoot a 175 gr. or a 225 gr. point keeping total weight the same?
  Common wisdom seems to be a 5 pound spine range change for every 25 grs. in point weight but as I experiment I am beginning to doubt it. Any help is appreciated.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: point weight change and wood arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
I have found jumping up a spine range for only 25 grains quite excessive.  I can usually jump from 125 to 160 with nothing more than a 1/4" arrow trim, if that.  If you are well tuned at 125, a jump of only one or perhaps two spine groups at the most should let you shoot points well over 200 grains.

Don't forget something as simple as a matchstick under your side plate can reduce your need for spine dramatically.  In fact if you build out your side plate now you may find the arrows you already have will tune just fine.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
My experience has been with all else being equal increasing the weight up front by 50 grains would require a spine increase of 5 pounds, 100 grain increase, would require a 10 pound spine increase. I think it would be hard to keep the total weight the same while increasing the point weight by 50-100 grains.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Leave the arrows full length and tune, and then you can cut them to stiffen them up when you jump from 175 to 225gr.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©