3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted Nocks  (Read 836 times)

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted Nocks
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I think they are great though my previous experience with them was not so good.  I fooled with them 6-7 years ago.  The ones I had were Burnt Coyote (or something like that).  I just couldn't get them to work reliably.  I am sure they are better now.  My main reason for getting them was a number of deer shot in my hunting camp one year that were either never recovered or took way too much effort.  In every case the hunter swore they made a good shot but in reality they did not.  The problem is in low light situations you loose track of your arrow, deer jumps your string, etc.  with a lighted nock you have a much better clue as to how lethal you shot was.  So to me it's not a traditional/non traditional argument.  It's really a more ethical way to hunt since it can be a great help in finding your downed animal.  It's a shame states like Colorado don't allow them as they in no way aid your shooting ability.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
I got some last year but didnt get a shot to you them.
Most of my shots have been in the last 15 legal minutes of shooting light.
So they should be helpful in locating the arrow when I miss.
Slickhead

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
When I hunt wild boar i expect to see them at the really last min of shooting light ,so if you wait to track them it is already dark.I had great success in tracking finding and knowing the shoot placement with the Nocturnal,far better that the Luminox I used before.It is a great help when hunting,and it can't be considered a shooting aid,but rather a recovery tool.Plus they are great to help you in the tuning.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm sorta conflicted on them. I get it, that it's neet to see the arrow like that, and if it helps someone retrieve a game animal, well thats a good thing.

I don't like the idea of using something electronic on a bow, however. I also don't like the possibility of these being used illegaly, after hours. I won't be using them.

I hunted with a guy who had an early version of them once. They didn't work all that well.

I have used small pieces of reflective tape on the nock end to aid in after dark arrow recovery.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Roger: Lightted nocks are nothing more than a more visible arrow, only better.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
You can't enter any animal in Pope and Young with them if that is important to you.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Roger: Lightted nocks are nothing more than a more visible arrow, only better.
I don't have a great argument against that statement. I like an arrow that you can see....like I said, I'm conflicted because it is "electronic".
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
In my opinion the P&Y club needs to revisit the "electronic rule" concerning arrow nocks. I think the original rule was meant to prohibit electronic guidance of an arrow and a nock doesn't do that.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mrx2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Three words.  Nocturnal, LOVE THEM

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Really like the nocturnals, have had them turn on on my draw a couple of times, think it cost me a turkey or two..  but liked not having to hunt for my arrow after shooting a deer at night. Todd

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Used them for many years and love them.  Especially when it comes to filming your hunts, you can really see the arrow flight on the playback or editing of the video.  I have used many and my favorite is "Lumenok" by burt coyote they seem to work the best for me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Though I have no experience with them, I see you can make your own at a fraction of the cost. Check out the well known home videos/DIY site.  

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I just purchased some Nockturnals and I tested them out last night. They are pretty cool, but a little tricky to turn off. It really helps you watch the action of your arrow! They are quite illuminating about your arrow flight.

I plan on using them for hunting.
I have some misgivings about the idea of electronics and batteries and such attached to my bow or arrow...and I am usually not a fan of "gizmos" but it seems like the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

I need to adjust them so they fit the same as my normal nocks though.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
The controversy over lighted nocks has gotten rather heated and divisive here in Washington as well as other states.  They are illegal in WA, however the state Fish and Game conducted a survey among 3,800 bowhunters and the results are not too surprising.

•86 percent favored the use of lighted nocks,
•10 percent said no lighted nocks should be allowed,
•4 percent were undecided.

It seems the loudest objection is coming from the state's traditional archers.

Most of the Western states ban them (WA, OR, ID, MT, CO), however North Dakota reversed itself recently and allows them.

I agree that Pope and Young will most likely visit this issue again and remove the ban.

I don't own or use them for any reason, but I can see the argument for their use.
Lon Scott

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I hunt with and love Nockturnal's if for no other reason they do look really cool!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
The only thing I use now is the lumenocks. They work well in every situation I have used them in. Their weakness lies in the fact that if the arrow strikes something hard and the nock bows out or loosens. The light goes off.
Tracer nocks by Easton are sketchy with the need for a magnet to illuminate the nock. If it doesn't swipe over the magnet, it's going to be a dark arrow flight. They do blink after a few moments which aids in location.
Haven't used the carbon express or nocturnals.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
I love shooting lighted nocks.  They are very helpful in tuning and will definitely show you if you have a bad release.

Nothing lets you see your arrow fly like a lighted nock.  I   LOVE seeing my arrows fly!

I think after last week I will start hunting with them.  For some reason I wanted to put one more animal into P&Y and Compton.  Can't do that with a lighted nock on your arrow.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I really like them when hunting from ground blinds to help find arrows(that seam to snake under the grass ) and in the dark
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm with bansheewins on this one.  Even though I'm new to trad, my experience with lighted nocks has been good for a couple of reasons.  First, if you enjoy videotaping hunts, lighted nocks are a fantastic aid to following the arrow.  Second, and perhaps of some importance to all bowhunters, if you have clear evidence of where your arrow hit as a result of reviewing video of a "marginal hit," you may have a little better idea how quickly to follow up on the shot.

Probably not trad in my opinion.  That said, I may still use them.  (ditching 65% let-off, front sights, peep sights, and mechanical release was enough, right?   ;)

Kingsnake

Offline SaltyDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Nocturnals in my opinion are the absolute best retail version of the lighted nocks.

I prefer to build my own. A lot less expensive, and work just as good.

Here's how I build mine:

Rick
Rick Barbee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©