3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted Nocks  (Read 834 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted Nocks
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
WOW, not how I imagined this thread to go, I'm all for legalizing them in my state, however, I don't plan on using them simply because of the cost of them, it's already an expensive proposition loosing an arrow, I realize they might be easier to find, still makes an arrow more expensive than I want it to be and who knows, I might get a book eligible animal some day:) not likely, but sometimes the simple minded bucks and bulls get big antlers too:)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by SaltyDawg:
Nocturnals in my opinion are the absolute best retail version of the lighted nocks.

I prefer to build my own. A lot less expensive, and work just as good.

Here's how I build mine:

Rick
Where do you get the Rod n Bob Thill light from?

Offline SaltyDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
Where do you get the Rod n Bob Thill light from?
I usually get mine at Academy Sports, but I'm sure other sporting good stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, and some others carry them. Think I remember picking some up at Walmart once also.

Rick
Rick Barbee

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »
have a link,so i can see the package?

Offline SaltyDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Barbee

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments:
Can anyone please give experience based information about arrow tuning with the added weight of the these much heavier nocks on the back of the arrow, please?  
My rule-of-thumb is that adding weight to the back of an otherwise correctly tuned arrow requires four times as much weight to be added to the front. Maybe the broadhead will have to be stepped-up 25 -50 grains?  Thanks.
Kevin

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brandywine:
Can anyone please give experience based information about arrow tuning with the added weight of the these much heavier nocks on the back of the arrow, please?  
My rule-of-thumb is that adding weight to the back of an otherwise correctly tuned arrow requires four times as much weight to be added to the front. Maybe the broadhead will have to be stepped-up 25 -50 grains?  Thanks.
Kevin
That is the 64 million dollar question, I wouldn't imagine it to change the tune to that much. Probably variable by a factor determined by how much FOC you have. If I can remember I'll plug some numbers into my archery software tonight after work and see what shakes out.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Firenocks!     Gravity switch ...longer battery life and about 50 more colors than Nocturnal   Simple to cut off unlike Nockturnal
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Brandywine,

I get accused of tinkering too much but I have fun. Because I shoot the lighted nocks so much. I use hot melt glue and add split shot to my regular nocks to get then the same weight as my lighted nocks and then tune everything.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brandywine:
Kevin
The nockturnals i used weighed 20 gr vs a normal 10 gr nock. No difference

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I've never used them. I attempted once but I couldn't get em to work. I can't even remember what brand they were. I'm sure it wasn't the one most recommended above.

If I used them I would only nock when I was about to shoot a Doe. I realize the opening I'm affording Murphy and his law.

As a PY Measurer I wouldn't use one on a record-class critter.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I've used the Carbon Express ones, the Lumenocks, and the Nockturnals.  The nockturnals have proven far more durable and more reliable and MUCH longer lasting for me.  I won't use the other kinds I mentioned any more.  

Tuning was mentioned -- I know for me, I shoot heavy FOC, as do many of us in the trad world.  If you have super heavy front loading arrows, an 8 to 10 grain increase on the back shouldn't matter.  I like them alot ...haven't lost an arrow since using them.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Use them for tuning and hunting both
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
earlier this week I ordered some "after burn" lighted nocks, gonna try them out this summer on some wild hogs. I use a cat quiver and most of the lighted nocks would "turn on" in this type of quiver from pressure on the nocks. If I read correctly the "After Burn" nocks have a switch in the nock groove it lights up from string pressure at the shot.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
hmmmmm....

if battery powered glowing nocks fit into traditional bowhunting...what doesn't?

joe

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm working on a magnetic-switch led full-draw indicator. Goes from red...to yellow...to green.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Haters will hate.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
yes, i suppose they will.

but are thinkers allowed to think?

joe

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
I try not to think about tradition when I'm hunting with my cell phone in my pocket,thermocell on, super bright flashlight in my pack for blood trailing and wearing gortex lined boots or rubber knee boots. but when I do think about it I just hope I have enough gas in the thermocell to last the whole hunt.. I tried the red lighted nocks today about 1/2 hour before dark.. they are bright. I don't see them as an advandage in shooting but can see how it may help in finding game. many times right at dark I have had a group of hogs feeding all arround me, I make the shot and hogs run everywhere and I loose track of the one I just shot, I often hear it pile up and give the death squeal but not always. I don't always get a pass thru or a good blood trail either, I think these lighted nocks may help me recover the hogs faster, faster is better when it's 90 degrees out.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
I try not to think about tradition when I'm hunting with my cell phone in my pocket,thermocell on, super bright flashlight in my pack for blood trailing and wearing gortex lined boots or rubber knee boots. but when I do think about it I just hope I have enough gas in the thermocell to last the whole hunt.. I tried the red lighted nocks today about 1/2 hour before dark.. they are bright. I don't see them as an advandage in shooting but can see how it may help in finding game. many times right at dark I have had a group of hogs feeding all arround me, I make the shot and hogs run everywhere and I loose track of the one I just shot, I often hear it pile up and give the death squeal but not always. I don't always get a pass thru or a good blood trail either, I think these lighted nocks may help me recover the hogs faster, faster is better when it's 90 degrees out.
Bingo!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©